Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Is there a limit on number of files in a folder?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

mainedjPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Just curious if I am going to run into any issues of having too many songs in 1 folder. I have heard of pcdj vrm possibly having problems with something like this. I don't know this for sure, but just wondering.

Hip Hop for example has almost 10,000 files after remixes and such counted. I still have my subfolders, but would like to be able to also keep a huge folder full of everything for fast searching.
If I were to put all my songs in one folder it would be way more than 10,000. (I just need to finish ripping them from cd too). Thanks goodness for tag & rename!!!

Thanks,
Jeff

Posted Mon 23 Oct 06 @ 4:47 am
no

Posted Mon 23 Oct 06 @ 6:51 am
djchicago wrote :
no

That is incorrect. There is a finite number of files that can be put into one directory. I believe it is 32,000 files in one directory. I'd have to check the operating system specifications to be sure, but memory is telling me it's 32,000. 10,000 files will defintely work. Not very smart, but it will work.

Posted Mon 23 Oct 06 @ 9:23 pm
Thats the great part of VDJ, you don't need to keep them in one folder for fast searching. You just add all of your folders to the database and you can search all of them just by typing.

Posted Mon 23 Oct 06 @ 9:33 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)