Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: First Gig For me!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hey guys, New DJ in town, got my first gig at a college bar next week to play some house music. Anyone got any suggestions? Kinda nervous. Using the bcd2000 for a while till i get some pioneers to use Time Coded CD's.

Posted Mon 23 Oct 06 @ 1:58 am
Im really mostly nervous about VDJ or BCD2000 fuckin up and freezing on me, cause i like keepin the beats goin and changing music every 1.5 or 2 minutes.

Posted Mon 23 Oct 06 @ 1:58 am
Might want to buy the program to start with...

Posted Mon 23 Oct 06 @ 2:30 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Three things to guarantee success at your gig --
1. Positive thoughts - positive produces
2. Clean attitude - no need to swear
3. Legal tools and music

Posted Mon 23 Oct 06 @ 3:17 am
socrossPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Dude, if you're spinning house, you really don't need TCCD's, just my 2 cents. The only thing timecode really does for you is let you scratch. With electronica, you're better off spending the money on a good mixer, soundcard or laptop.

Posted Mon 23 Oct 06 @ 8:37 am
I know but i really love the interface on this thing. Plus i play a little hip hop here and there so i want to be able to scratch. My laptop is pretty good 2.8 ghz P4 with 768mb ram. I love using MP3's cause i have such awesome music. can anyone reccommend a good asio sound card to buy?? I have the sound blaster audigy somewhere i just gotta find it.. its external usb so im not sure if it has asio or if it will be stable with vdj. Any thoughts anyone...Im using the bcd until i have money for some good equipment. I just need to make sure i dont fuck up and lock it up when im hitting buttons left and right. Like i said im a newb when it comes to this shit, but i DEFINATELY know what songs to play to rock the dancefloor.

Posted Tue 24 Oct 06 @ 8:10 am
@socross...Any good Ideas on what mixers i should look at...there are so many! give me some direction dude. thanks guys for the support.

Posted Tue 24 Oct 06 @ 8:12 am
As cstoll said and I quote: " Three things to guarantee success at your gig --
1. Positive thoughts - positive produces.
2. Clean attitude - no need to swear.
3. Legal tools and music."
I will add a fourth. From what I hear about mixers is that the Hercules MKII is probably the best for the money.

Keep the beat sweet.

Posted Tue 24 Oct 06 @ 5:59 pm
I agree with Raw-Bear; I love my MKII. Make sure all of your library is in your software's database, that is important to avoid lag and lock ups. (i speak from experience)

Posted Wed 25 Oct 06 @ 12:34 am
what do i do if my controller or softwrare locks up?? thats what im afraid of. Iam still using trial version of VDJ.

Posted Wed 25 Oct 06 @ 8:27 pm

Have a clean PC with as little installed programs as possible..
The more programs installed and uninstalled, spyware, adware, etc etc, and you will end up with slow Windows and driver issues...

A clean as possible PC , and neither the software or the controller will lock up.
Never happened to me, and I've probably done something close to 400 gigs with VDJ over the last 3 years... each for 4-6 hours non-stop. Never any crash

Posted Wed 25 Oct 06 @ 8:33 pm
these guys are right, you gotta have a clean pc. here is my example. I have have a dell pc, just under one year old, specs are irrelevant. I also have a laptop from dell that is 2 1/2 years olds, and the specs are at most half as powerful as my desktop. video aside, VDJ works flawlessly on my less powerful laptop yet quite flawed on my more powerful desktop. reason? there is nothing but VDJ on my laptop and any other necessary audio software compared to my daily productivity pc. so, if you plan to play professionally for audiences, big or smal, it is imperative to have a dedicated pc or laptop. this might be cost prohibitive, but in the end, you will be saving yourself from system failures, headaches, and clients who want their money back!

good luck bro

Posted Wed 25 Oct 06 @ 9:18 pm
StayFr3sh84 wrote :
what do i do if my controller or softwrare locks up?? thats what im afraid of. Iam still using trial version of VDJ.

Pull out a gun, put it to your temple, grab the mic with your other hand, say I'm sorry, and pull the trigger. You will slump over your console, and everyone will gasp in horror, except the one other DJ in the crowd. He will remove your limp body from the console, tell everybody it was a skit, reboot the machine, and rock the party. In other words, have a back up plan, because anything can happen.

As for the clean machine thing, I am sure it works for some. It sounds like a good idea, but for me, I have plenty of shit on my machine, and it works great. Do what works for you.

Posted Wed 25 Oct 06 @ 10:10 pm
socrossPRO InfinityMember since 2004
StayFr3sh84 wrote :
@socross...Any good Ideas on what mixers i should look at...there are so many! give me some direction dude. thanks guys for the support.

I can't say enough about the Numark DXM09 - it costs about $350, but it has 3 channels - one for each deck and one for samples, very important if you plan on using samples! It has a great set of effects, such as tape echo (something you can't currently do inside VDJ.) It also has EQ kill switches and a slippery crossfader.

I talk about it quite a bit in my video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TstaUlCg2Rs

I do agree with some of the other posts here though - the Hercules MKII is a great all-in-one, and is really portable. But if you already have a sound card, I'd go with the DXM09.

Posted Wed 25 Oct 06 @ 10:15 pm
Thanks socross. Im curious, is it difficult to get that contour shuttle pro working with VDJ? Also, can you have two of them installed (one for each deck?)

Posted Thu 26 Oct 06 @ 4:13 am
@ a man and his music. Thats pretty funny dude. But Hey what do u mean by a frikkin backup plan?? Do i go out there and start doing the irish jig? i mean comon lets be serious now im nervous my bcd 2000 is gunna lock up on me. Also, my vdj does not have all of my info remembered (for my tracks like bpm and time) is that because its the demo?

Posted Thu 26 Oct 06 @ 4:17 am
@ socross, one more question dude. That numark mixer, how does it connect to VDJ? are there special mappings that you have to do or something or what. Im confused as to how it gets hooked up, Does it actually control VDJ?? also, when u use that Tap feature, hwo does that control the speed of the music in vdj?? does it internally buffer the music?

Posted Thu 26 Oct 06 @ 4:20 am
It seems to me that ,like myself, you are new to this software . I would recommend a long period of time to get familiar with all the new things on your learning curve before going live.....

It looks to me that you are not responding to any of the replies that have to do with professionalism.

Keeping it positive ,keeping it clean , and having the right (legal) tools will get you a long ways.

If you have any worries about anything ,then you need to not use those items until your level of proficiency with them has increased to where you are confident.....in other words , simplify.

Your audience wants to have a great time, and deserves to get it......they are right to wonder why they can have a great 'ol time with there boombox for instance but the new dj with all his high tech gear doesn't know what to play......

Know your audience, find out what the key people like and play it , give yourself reasons to feel confident by having a practiced back up scenario that you can quickly goto in an emergency....give yourself "reasons to be cheerful " by being Way Over - Prepared.

Here's a real boring nuts 'n bolts example....if you have a 6 hour show,@ 15 songs / hour you need 90 great songs......so show up with at least 180 already picked out ; only use equipment and music that you know with one frontal lobe tied behind your back, and you'll be good to go.

Posted Thu 26 Oct 06 @ 5:48 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)