Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: question about the database... Why?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I just came in from spining here in chicago at a friends club. The club has installed VDJ "GREATTTT", BUT, playing on the new system was hard because I did not have my database with all my BPMs and Cue points. My question is why is'nt there a way to carry this info with you, if you go (as I have) to a club with the PC in place, and you have a big library of music, and videos why can't you just come in and play without building a new DB. In the old verson of PCDJ 5.xx, in the CFG you could point the program to the database and get to work, In Final Scratch and Surano, PCDJ FX, Djdecks, these programs read the ID tags, This would at lease give you your BPMs. I just wanted to throw that out there for all the DJs that spin at more then one place and want to be confortable when the spin, I want to be able to recommend this to a club with more then one dj also.

Thanks

Posted Sat 21 Oct 06 @ 12:16 pm
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Hehe, i've been saying the same thing myself for a long time! I'm an ex PCDJ user myself, and I do miss the ability to easily move the database around. I used to keep the recordcase stored on my external drive along with the music, and every computer that I used it on was set to read it from that location... simple!

You can bring your VDJ database with you if you make a copy of it and keep it on your external drive, it just means that every time you set up your system, you have to then move that copy to the VDJ directory on C:, and at the end of the night copy it back to your external drive ready for next time. Bit of a pain, but its the only way around the problem at the mo.... maybe one day they'll add that simple little feature to the config... *smiles sweetly at dev team* ;-)

Posted Sat 21 Oct 06 @ 12:47 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
what we could recomend to the Dev Team?
How about changing the Virtual directory tree. We could have a folder like this c:/ProgramFiles/VirtualDJ/PersonalConfig. In there, we could have our xml Database, the skin we use, the shortcuts file, language maybe, and other things that has to do with the USER, not the software its self.
If we had that we could activate a user with his external HD by giving a command like
subst c:/ProgramFiles/VirtualDJ/PersonalConfig z:/ProgramFiles/VirtualDJ/PersonalConfig
where z=USB HD external
I don't know how else we could solve this, but it would help a lot of us

PS Why does c:(slash) appears c: ???

Posted Sat 21 Oct 06 @ 1:13 pm
@djDad: Back slashes are stripped off in the forum I normally use | instead.

I had another idea. The database is an XML file. XML files are easy to combine. So this would be my idea: Default you have the database file in the program files. You could also place a / your xml database in the root of your external harddrive. When VDJ starts it first loads its database from the program files directory, then it searches the root of all drives. If a VDJ XML database is found this file is also loaded. So you have all your cue points available.
Ewout

Posted Sat 21 Oct 06 @ 3:42 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
install VDJ on the usb hard drive so that the database is there and every time you use VDJ, you have your database.

you could allways have it installed on your system but just change the value of 'HomeFolder' in the regesrty to point to the external HD, that way you can use it without the harddrive if you need to but stil have it look there for the database when you want it to

Posted Sat 21 Oct 06 @ 4:36 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Since everyone is on the recordcase | ID3Tag band wagon these days -- I have a question? -
Which is more important --

1. the SPEED in which you can access your LARGE quantity of files (PCDJs record case is a molasses slug because of ID3tag use)

OR

2. the INFORMATION about the files because you don't want to wait 5-10 sec for the track to analyze and you need that data to make a decision before you play a song??

Now I will give all credit, if I go to 'analyze' a track and the ID3 data is there, then there should be no need to 'evaluate|analyze' the track to determine BPM and such. So, if you show up at a gig, as described above; then at least once you drop it on a deck the data is available immediately OR if I highlight all my tracks and say "Analyze" then VDJ just reads the the ID3s and not "Physically" analyze each track.

cstoll

Posted Sat 21 Oct 06 @ 4:47 pm
Well depending on the DJ there are both important but for me I like walking into a place, connecting ny drive and playing without stoping the music playing or and very short stop of the music.

I like the ideas of Superstom and djdad, i beleave that you are seeing what the problem is. I want the software to be as close to walking in with your CDs or Vinyl and doing your thing.

DJXEO: "install VDJ on the usb hard drive so that the database is there and every time you use VDJ, you have your database. "

The problem with this is you are already at the club and the software is up and running. You should be able to click a button and have the system look for outside DB and use them, merge them, or add them somehow.

Posted Sun 22 Oct 06 @ 4:37 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)