Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Numark ttUSB Review

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

SkiHogPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I have seen these USB turntables mentioned in other threads, and stumbled into one at a shop a couple of weeks ago, so I figured I would pick it up and try it out.

First off: THIS IS NOT A DJ TURNTABLE! Belt Drive, and built more a like a kids toy than a "real" turntable. It is mostly light plastic and doesn't even come with a cover, so I keep it in a trash bag to keep dust from settling on it.

That is really the only bad I have to say about it.

Who this turntable is made for: This turntable is made for people like me; a CDJ that gets some of his music still on vinyl and needs a good way to get it over onto CD/MP3. For people like me, it is a good turntable.

If you buy one of these, then before you install the Audacity software that comes with it, I recommend you go download the latest version at http://audacity.sourceforge.net/. Make sure the turntable is plugged into your PC before trying to use the software. The software also allows you to record 33s at 45 speed and with +10% pitch so that you can record them faster, and then it will adjust the song back out to its normal pitch. The manual that comes with the ttUSB does a good job of explaining how to accomplish this.

Bottom Line: If you have a set of "real" turntables, then just record through them. If you don't then for around $150 you are buying convenience, because the hardware definitely is not worth the price, and the software is free. But $150 is still a lot cheaper than buying a good turntable that you are going to occasionaly use for ripping vinyl, and never use for mixing. For my usage type, I would buy it again.

Posted Thu 12 Oct 06 @ 4:03 pm
socrossPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Thanks, very helpful review!!

Posted Thu 12 Oct 06 @ 5:45 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)