Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: What ASIO cards are you using/recommend for minimal latency??

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I have one huge, HUGE fear of switching to software generated entertainment, and thats when I scratch, i'm not going to have the ABSOLUTE control that a real vinyl does. In numerous demonstrations that i've seen on the internet, I can't find out what equipment they are using, but I can see that the reaction of the vinyl is VERY accurate, it seems like that is the real record that he/she is plaing. so I know its possible. Which sound card would you say has the best chance of getting the very least latency, without breaking my wallet? I'm going to build a pc that has the best of what I can afford, mucho ram, powerful proccessor, and a kick ass video card (I'm doing this for video)

Posted Sat 07 Oct 06 @ 12:43 am
esi u46dj usb, soundblaster audigy2 zs platinum or the x-fi platinum as well.

Posted Sat 07 Oct 06 @ 3:49 am
Weird, building a killer system with expensive components, but the core of the DJ system, the audio interface, is on a budget..

manquin_dj wrote :
esi u46dj usb, soundblaster audigy2 zs platinum or the x-fi platinum as well.

None of these qualify as professional IMO, they're all budget units, not bad units, but about average performance wise at best. They also require serious hardware to operate.

Low latency requires an expensive interface, I'd say don't budget, get the RME HDSP RPM. It has _ZERO_ cpu load (all audio operations are done on the interface itself which has it's own cpu) and IMO extremely good drivers an 'extras'. Costs serious money, but will allow latency of 1.5ms on any above average system.

Posted Sat 07 Oct 06 @ 12:33 pm
Gotta agree with Paul on that.. ;)

The semi pro cards mentioned above work great, but do depend on your Pc hardware AND interupts. It can have all from 5ms-10ms, and if IRQ sharing is an issue, even higher buffer are needed to avoid pops.

But they work pretty good, budget wize the best you can get...

But there are better soundcards, as Paul mention, that gives "Zero" latency (not possible with Zero, but very close, like 1-2 ms latency). But they cost a whole lot more ;)

Posted Sat 07 Oct 06 @ 1:14 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
whats your budget then???

i can get latencys of 0.7ms (not in VDJ, about 3ms max in VDJ) and i use a terratec phase 88. if you are after the best of the best then gotta go with something better, u46dj is actualy quite good and very versatile

Posted Sat 07 Oct 06 @ 3:41 pm
That 0.7 is the latency on the card itself, not the actual latency for pulling audio from input to the bus.

Posted Sat 07 Oct 06 @ 5:28 pm
audigy2 zs platinum is pretty good acw always recommend this sound card and I have used it short time ago the minimal latency is 1 and response is excelent.

Posted Sat 07 Oct 06 @ 8:20 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
when people quote latency of audio interfaces, what else are they reffering to?

Posted Sun 08 Oct 06 @ 2:32 am
manquin dj:

Trust me when I say that once you heard the soundblatter and RME interfaces side by side you'll know which is best.. Creative always uses tricks and relies on the MAIN cpu for some serious work. none of their cards truly offer what they advertise, there's a catch every time..

Xeo:
Latency is a value which can be a number of things.. Just like you cannot trust the flashy card audio system whiich says it delivers 500 Watts. Most audio cards will show the latency value on the card itself. But with some or most operations done on the system main CPU the actual latency can be 3 ro 4 times that.. In the case of RME card _ALL_ audio operations are done on the card, the CPU is never used to do anything (but get the data to the bus).

If I run my system through the Audigy2 I get about 13ms latency with the card itself a 5, with the RME I get about 1.8 with the card at 1.5

Posted Sun 08 Oct 06 @ 2:54 pm
Paulheu,
I'm planning to buy a Rme Fireface 400 (link). Wil this give the same performance as the card you are referring to? I'm using a shuttle barebone, so I dont have any space left for a pci card. I have an unused firewire port.
Thanks in advance
Ewout

Posted Sun 08 Oct 06 @ 3:24 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Guys... time to grow-up forget about creative forever, sorry...
When we say good soundcard (audiocard is the right term for pro cards) first came in mind is RME, if you can't afford these there are other good brands like M-audio.
M-audio Delta series has proven performance/stability for years. Then it is Esi and others.
Creative is not on my list at all.

Now if you need performance/low latency go for a PCI card, second choice -and only if you need mobility- is firewire interfaces, then comes usb.
That's the rules.
That not mean you can't work with a usb card, i work every night with a maya 44 usb without any problems with a latency about 11 ms, anything less is NOT real for any usb card, because of the usb buss latency itself.

Posted Sun 08 Oct 06 @ 4:02 pm
Wow, lots of replies, haven't checked this in a while.

Ok, well did a little research on the RME RPM, and it says that it connects through a pci slot??? but I don't see that in any of their product pictures. I also can't seem to find out how much this "Audio card" costs... Is this the card that you run with??

I think that I may be going about building my computer all wrong, I think that I should maybe get the external components (Ie, audio card, video card) bulked up, and not worry so much about HD rpm speed, and proccessor power. I'm still gonna stuff it with as much ram as possible.

Posted Sun 08 Oct 06 @ 7:00 pm
You will need one of these and one of these. The first is the pci card with the dsp. The second is the breakaout box, with all the connectors.
You connect both with a standard firewire cable
Ewout

Posted Sun 08 Oct 06 @ 8:07 pm
Ok, but how does the Erol Nuo4 or other midi mixers connect to the computer?? I notice that the RME has a midi in/out connection. How does the midi mixer connect to the computer? I'm kind of confused as to how midi works, the turntables outputs gets connected into the RME card(s), then you connect the midi mixer to the card also???

Posted Sun 08 Oct 06 @ 10:58 pm
Did you mean Ecler Nuo4? I don't own an Ecler, so I dont know for sure, but I will give it a try. If it is not correct please correct me.
The Ecler has both an Usb output and a Midi port (din socket). You could attach the din socket to the rme, but you could also connect the Ecler directly using the Usb port. With the last option you use midi over Usb. This is probably a better and faster solution than the din configuration.
Ewout

Posted Sun 08 Oct 06 @ 11:17 pm
Superstom wrote :
You will need one of these and one of these. The first is the pci card with the dsp. The second is the breakaout box, with all the connectors.
You connect both with a standard firewire cable
Ewout

Actually the dsp is in the box, not on the PCMCIA (OR PCI) card. The PCMCIA card assures (better then average) PCI speeds, which are WAY higher then USB or FireWire.

Posted Sun 08 Oct 06 @ 11:21 pm
--Did you mean Ecler Nuo4?--

Yes, i'm retarded, sorry.

Ok, then if thats the case, and I connect the mixer via usb, then can I use the "MIDI" functions on the ecler? And, if thats the case, can't I just use ANY usb, or firewire mixer to control the program??? I was really just asking if the mixer is sopposed to plug into the audio card, or if the mixer connects directly to the pc VIA MIDI, not usb, and if there is a difference in reaction time with any of the mixer's functions with either setup??

And now that I think of it, can any usb/firewire mixer work with VDJ??

Posted Mon 09 Oct 06 @ 8:00 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)