Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Starting Out - looking for some advice

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi! This is my first post. No, I'm not a registered user. I've only played with the trial version, but it's GREAT. I can only imagine what you can do with the full blown, once you've learned to use it. Music is my passion. I studied classical for 7 years so I've got an ear and a good feel for rythym and beat. Getting to my question - What type of equipment do you experienced users recommend for a total newbie? I don't currently plan to do shows, not sure if I could develop my skills to that level of confidence. But I love listening to D.J.'s that mix seemlessly. It amazes me what you guys (and Gals!) can do. What does the forum recommend that a guy like me buy without totally blowing my savings, yet also not going the cheapest route possible. When it comes to electronics, you get what you pay for. Looking for something I can grow into; mid-level quality for in home use maybe? A Piece-by-Piece list is literally what I am looking for.
Any help is appreciated!!!

Tommy

Posted Fri 06 Oct 06 @ 3:03 am
How much are you willing to part with? For home use you will need:

VDJ
A Multichannel Sound Card
DJ Mixer
Powered Speakers (Eliminates the need for an amp)
Headphones

(I'm assuming you already have the computer.)

That would be enough to get you started. Once we know you budget it will be easier to give you an actual list of equipment.

Posted Fri 06 Oct 06 @ 5:46 am
Thanx for the reply DJDerricke! Is $1000 - $2000 enough? I imagine that the sky (or the bottom of my pockets) is the limit. Looking for something for in-home practicing. Virtual DJ Pro is a must as I would like to incoporate the TCV's and especially to make sure I am experiencing ALL the bells and whistles.

Already have a Toshiba Sat. - A75, Pentium 4, 3.06GHz Processor, 1.5G RAM, 60G hardrive, Operating System • Microsoft® Windows® XP Home, DISPLAY • 15.4” diagonal WXGA TFT active-matrix TruBrite™ LCD;
VIDEO =
• ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON™ 9000 IGP (integrated video); 64MB
of shared memory, user adjustable to 128MB,
SOUND = Realtek ALC259 Software Sound
• 16-bit stereo; Built-in stereo speakers, Built-in microphone
• 3D Sound Support, Direct 3D Sound; DirectSound, Direct Music,
MIDI (playback) Support
EXPANDIBILLITY
• 2 Expansion memory slots
• 1 PC Card slots support 1 Type II, PCMCIA R2.01, PC Card16,
CardBus

Other than occasional overheating, mylaptop is good. Bought a cooling pad to address the overheating issue. Throw a list at me and expected prices as well. Like I said, I've got a little cash to play with. I don't mind spending the bucks on some quality equipment. I just don't want to be the guy that shows up in the latest and newest pairs of nike but cannot even pronounce the name of the shoe nor tie his own shoe laces. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

Tommy

Posted Fri 06 Oct 06 @ 10:40 am
For home use and for starters (or both ;-)) I recommend a Hercules dj console mk2 and VDJ pro. You will have the latest VDJ version 4. You also have some controls on the Hercules console and a proper sound card buitin the Hercules console. If you like it and have some money left, you could buy an external mixer, or turntables (and some tcv's), or cd players and a better sound card.
You could also attach your headphone directly on the Hercules console, you could attach the output to an amplifier or pc speakers.
Ewout

Posted Fri 06 Oct 06 @ 7:02 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
Tommy why not tell us what your working with in the pockets, it makes it easier to suggest gear. If you want to fool around with mixing then i would also suggest an Hercules MK2, if you want cd decks, turntables etc. then we are going to need some budget guidlines

Posted Fri 06 Oct 06 @ 10:25 pm
Here goes.....let's say budget will be $1500 for equipment. VDJ Pro not included as part of budget. I would like to spin TCV's on turntables after seeing DJ Getdowns sample video. TCV's appear to provide the ultimate flexibility and functionality. I'm guessing: Laptop, VDJ Pro, soundcard, mixer, 2 turntables, speakers, ________, ___________, ___________, ____________ ?????? This is where I seek the forums wisdom......

Thank You Guys in Advance,

Tommy

Posted Sat 07 Oct 06 @ 7:29 am
Hey Guys! I appreciate all your previous advice and eagearness to help. If I could get just a little bit more of your tome and input........I'm too close to the answers I need to let this one go yet.

Thanks,

Tommy

Posted Sun 08 Oct 06 @ 5:30 pm
I'm using the u46dj (soundcard) and numark t500's (turntables) and they're both excellent budget choices. If you search ebay, you'll find a pair for about $400 (carts not included). You won't find a better turntable for the price, they've got 5 kg of torque, three speeds, reverse, comes with straight and s shaped tonearms, adjustable start and brake times, etc. The u46dj will run you about $200, and while it's not that great a recording interface it's an excellent soundcard for TCV, and unlike most other cards in this price range, it'll allow you to use the 3 channel mixer option (third channel for sample section, allows you to preview samples before bringing them into the main mix). For carts I've seen pairs of stanton 500al carts as low as $30 on ebay, though I went with the swtanton 600hp's for about a hundred $ (included flight case, magnetic weights and pre mounted on headshells). But for just TCV's it's to my understanding that the cheaper models like the 500al will work just fine. Any mixer will work, but obviously they carry alot of differant features. I just picked up the gemini ps-04 mixer for about $120, it's got onboard effects, a total of six stereo inputs (three convertable phono/ line), 3 band eq. per channel, crossfader cuirve control, crossfader reverse option and alot more (check it out at geminidj.com). I'll let somebody else advise laptop specs in case I overlook something important, but I managed to get my tt's, laptop, carts and TCV's for under $1400, so you're not too far oiff budget wise.

BTW, welcome aboard, I promise you'll never look back;^]

Posted Sun 08 Oct 06 @ 7:29 pm
Thanks a lot Timmyg1978. That's exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. There are so many equipment options and combinations out there. It's hard when you are not TOTALLY familiar with the names. I needed some direction, a blueprint so to speak. And it's hard to drop even $1400 only find out you bought all the wrong stuff OR that you could have gotten more for your the same hard earned cash. It's like dropping your cash on DJPower and learning about VirtualDJ Pro a month later. Not only would that sux royally - you wouldn't be able to get your $ back! I'm gonna print out your suggestions and see where I can get the best deals.

Thank You,

Tommy

Posted Mon 09 Oct 06 @ 4:26 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)