Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Can I PLEASE pay someone to help me solve this problem!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

HoffmanPRO InfinityMember since 2006
TUESDAY 10-3-06

Well after spending thousands of $ between laptop, software, extras, etc.
Why not pay to have this problem solved since this is the most important thing there is.

The sound!

system: Dell XPS 1710 laptop
Video card NVidea 7900gtx 512 mb
External Sound card: U46DJ
TIME CODED CD USE
cd players: pioneer CDj 1000's (1 club) DVJ's (2nd club)

The only help from VDJ regarding getting the sound and video to play without glitches,pops, skips, etc and to get the latency right is to "try all the settings until it works."

I keep trying every combination of settings in sound setup, performance, U46 Buffer, and anyone that knows math can tell you that there are about 2,000 differet combinations bewtween all these settings.

At one point I had no problems with sound, but I couldn't grab the beat with the cd platter (latency problem???), after adjusting this, there went everything else.

I am sorry if I am sounding sarcastcic and frustrated, but this is rediculous.

I have made a lot of progress (maybe 50 hours worth) but I need to figure this out by tomorrow.

PLEASE, if there is someone that is qualified and won't just tell me to try different setting with the following

uses:
U46DJ
Pioneer Cd players
VDJ 4.0 pro
can scratch (or at least catch the beat without a problem).
perfect sound/video

MY SETTINGS

so far:
Performances
preset: 2nd from the left
Latency: Auto
Scratch optimize for Quality
Enhanced Algorithm
48 KHZ - 44 KHZ Lowpass filter filter taps 11 filter smooth UNCHEKCED
master tempo : FAST
master tempo on Pioneer CD players OFF
Keylock on VDJ ON

ASIO CONFIG
Buffer size

Sound set up
TIMECODE CONFIG
CD
MODE: smart
lead time: 500ms
Smart cue checked
Master tempo checked.

All I want is sound/video with no skips, weird noises, etc, and to be able to scratch/ control over the beat. After all, that is what I hoped for when purchasing.

THANK YOU for anyone's assistance!

B

Posted Wed 04 Oct 06 @ 3:57 am
Use vinyl mode for timecode, inside VDJ, when using CDJ's.
Also, do the same on the CDJ's. Turn the jogwheel to vinyl mode.

Check if you have 100% timecode quaility, or if the Pioneer players play too loud (common problem).

If you dont have 100% timecode quality, make sure all software preamp/gain is off in timecode config, and even lower the input into the PC, by using the U46dj software mixer and lower the slider for the inputs.

Your system have great specs, and should run fine.

Only thing I could not find in your specs, is system ram, but guess you hare having lots of that ?

Posted Wed 04 Oct 06 @ 8:50 am
HoffmanPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Wed 10-4-06

@ Norway, thanks for the response.

I changed the setting to VINYL (from CD) in VDJ time code config, and that seems better to "grab" the beat. VINYL mode on jogwheel on Pioneer CD player is on (blue light is on).

here are some quick questions:

1) Should I keep the MASTER TEMPO on the PIONEERS on or off?
2) Should I keep the KEYLOCK on the VDJ on or off (as opposed to the pioneer)?
3) Should I put master tempo "on" in VDJ?

Obviously I want to have the master tempo working, I'm just not sure which one to keep on or all of them?

Regarding timecode:

I have 100%, that sometimes blinks to 0% (for a split second) then back to 100%, Is This ok? The waves look ok, but if you can tell me what the waves should be like, I'd appreciate it.

(since I changed to VINYL) in VDJ, it now has these settings:

Anti skip CHEKCED
Smart Cue CHECKED
Master tempo CHECKED
Browser track not checked.

Norway, since I typed this, I let a few things play through, and REGARDING THE SOUND, it still producing weird drops and noises every 45 seconds or MOSTLY IN VIDEOS. this is my major concern right now.

Now the sound is getting bad again (the longer I let play) especially video (sounds like it is struggling slightly).

Buffer size in aSIO is 1024 (not sure what to do with this).

I also want to do what i was able to do when I just used the pioneers. Find the first sound or beat in the song, then press cue and it would grab it. Now when I do that it seems to be like 1.5 seconds off each time. How can I get it so when I hit play on pioneer it is right where I want it (the beat)?

sorry for the many questions.

I greatly appreciate these tweeking tips.

I had fine sound a couple of days ago, so now that the scratching is better (in vinyl mode) I just have to get back to no skips, drops, etc. (seems to happen a little more when playing a video)

thanks for responding.

B

p.s. sliders are at 0db in u46dj mixer.

Posted Wed 04 Oct 06 @ 12:48 pm
Hoffman wrote :

1) Should I keep the MASTER TEMPO on the PIONEERS on or off?
2) Should I keep the KEYLOCK on the VDJ on or off (as opposed to the pioneer)?
3) Should I put master tempo "on" in VDJ?

1) On your cd player, switch it off. The master tempo will alter the sound of the timecode signal, herefore vdj will not pick it up correctly.
2) Keylock in vdj could be on or off, depending on your personal preference and your machine. If you have a good and fast machine you could switch it on. You probably have to test several settings in the configs "performance" tab to get the best setting for your machine.
3 master tempo = keylock, so see point 2. In 3.4 you had just one setting in the config screen, used for both decks at teh same time. In 4 you have a on/off switch for each deck on the (default) skin

For the skips: Try several settings on the performances tab in the config menu. Start of with the slider completely to the left side. If this is working ok, then slide it one position to the right side (better sound quality). Continue, until you get skips, then slide it back left 1 step
Ewout

Posted Wed 04 Oct 06 @ 7:33 pm
Superstorms answer is excellent..

Will only add to that :
1) TURN OFF ANTI SKIP (that is for turntable users, and reffers to needle use). This will make you go a-ha! I bet, as you now can use the loop buttons on the CDJs and probably have a general performance boost with scratch... Turn OFF ;)

2) For sound... 1024 latency is far too much.
Try this:
- Set performance slider inside VDJ to the almost highest setting. (The step before "best quality")
- go down to the latency drop down menu below, and set it to AUTO (Important!)

This should make the u46dj rock for audio use ;)

If you still have problems with video, please tell us more about what kind of videos (format and sample rate).

If you still have problems with audio after the tips above, tell us..
Then we need to go more drastically at work, looking at driver and potentential conflicts (IRQ).

But hopefully this should get your system up rocking ;)

Posted Wed 04 Oct 06 @ 7:43 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
in timecode settup make sure you have selected CD mode not vinyl mode i would say, make sure that you are using absolute mode if you want to use CUE on the CDJs otherwise VDJ will not move the position back to the correct place if you press cue, deffinately turn needle drop off and the software RIAA,

try turning off master tempo just to be on the safe side on both decks on the skin and in timecode settup

your using good kit so you should be fine, its just a question of finding the problem!

also, make sure the latency is set to auto in the performances tab. set the latency to no more than 512 in the u46dj settup, 256 is going to be fine on most systems too, 64 works with softwares other than VDJ for me (128 for VDJ). if you need to have latency that high to get rid of pops etc then there is an underlying problem anyway.

dont use VDJ to set ASIO latency, allways have it set to auto and use the sound card settings to change it. do not open the soundcards ASIO settings control panel with VDJ open,,,
if you want to change settings in there you need to close VDJ, change the ASIO settings, close the settings, then re-open VDJ

hope you have a working system soon! it will be sweet as fcuk by the sounds of things, take some pics!

Posted Wed 04 Oct 06 @ 11:17 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)