Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Strange "no action" crash

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I experienced an unusual crash last night with virtual dj 4. I was playing alongside another sound system (dj) for alternate half hour periods. Each time I stopped playing and returned to my computer (after about 20-25 minutes into the other dj's set), I see that virtual dj has experienced a problem and needs to close. This happened everytime there was no remote action for over 20 minutes or so in virtual dj.

It did not affect my set in any noticeable way as I was not playing at the time these crashes occurred, but there is definitely a concern there because a crash is a crash.

Vdj has been rock solid for otherwise before this but there was also another problem last night. I use my mk2 and timecode cds with virtual dj. I noticed some glitches when some songs were playing and it affected both decks. It was like a half a second drag on both decks. It affected both decks for the same time period, if was beatmatching and a glitch occurred, both decks would still be in sync after the glitch.
This was more annoying than the crashes as this was during my playing time and it was noticeable to everyone present.

I have not had either of these problems before last night and subsequent to optimizing my vdj settings, so it is quite strange. It is possible that it could be a problem with my system, but I have not installed any new proggy or changed anything in windows between my last stable configuration and last night.

I am going to revisit my settings and try to find a solution. In the meantime, any feedback would be appreciated.

Posted Mon 25 Sep 06 @ 4:10 pm
check your power options in control panel. Do you have any auto off's enabled? Like turn off hard discs after 20 min, or standby in 15 minutes?? That could cause a crash. Try turning then all off and try again.

Posted Mon 25 Sep 06 @ 7:33 pm
Everything under power schemes was set to never.

Posted Mon 25 Sep 06 @ 7:41 pm
As for the crash when not using VDJ over a longer period of time, that would almost for sure be some power management kickin in, screen saver or something in those line that makes a conflict.

Try leaving the pc for about 30 mins without VDJ running, and see what kicks in at that time.
Might be some power management in bios.
Or something trying to empty the ram that VDJ uses.

As for usb audio drop outs, thats very common on laptops, and can have several reasons:
- IRQ sharing on USB ports
- Powermanagement that interfare with the usb power and dataflow
- Not enough USB power.

Running Hercules on external power or on powered hub might help this.
(recommended by Hercules )

Backgrounds apps can also make this happen, so make sure Antivirus and stuff like that are turned off when doing live gigs. Also, PC's can be damn silly and have personalities sometimes..

I had usb drop outs for a long time, and tried all kinda stuff to make it go away. In the end it was my WiFI card, and disabling it at gigs fixed the issue...

So try a bit of elimination, and I'm pretty sure you can get things going super smooth

Posted Mon 25 Sep 06 @ 7:49 pm
Thanks for your responses guys. I will try a few things when I get home from work and I will let you know my progress.

I too am sure it will be resolved soon.

Posted Mon 25 Sep 06 @ 8:36 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Do you use my mapper for DJC ?

Posted Tue 26 Sep 06 @ 4:06 pm
I do use the mapper. The latest version.

Posted Tue 26 Sep 06 @ 7:43 pm
The problem turned out to be a currupt registry entry. It had nothing to do with vdj apparently. I did a clean reinstall of windows, drivers, vdj, everything. My computer is as good as new now. Anyway, the problem is gone and I am happy again.

@ Djcel
Why did you ask about the mapper? Is there something in it that could yield similar symptoms? I have not used it since I reinstalled windows and vdj. Please let us know and keep up the good work.

Best regards.

Carryshel

Posted Thu 28 Sep 06 @ 4:24 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)