Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Is it my vinyl's?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

dj bk1PRO InfinityMember since 2006
hi,

after reading forum after forum i have tried all that i could to get rid of the damn crackles...and i have not yet pursued any club gigs for that very reason...

my question is - before we get into any performance issues, can it be that my vinyls are causing it to crackle? the fact that they are a few months old AND they are the only things i use?

i purchased these in may or june and they are my only two... and yes, i do scratch on them (and not just at the tip of the record...ive pretty much scratched anywhere the record loaded), plus they look a bit dusty (i can tell b/c my needle collects dust like crazy after 5 min of playing)...plus they look warped (even after every attempt to flatten them... still warped)...

does anyone know how durable these things are? and if i do need to buy new vinyl's how sure should i be that that is the problem?

thanks...
bobby

Posted Wed 20 Sep 06 @ 1:35 am
also, to give some insight on my performances here is what i have it set at now:

In the vdj performances tab:

i have the performance set all the way to the left at fasted, i have the soundcard part set to 64(1ms) (seems to work better than the auto setting), i have safe mode off and overlock on, i have not changed the scratch or 48khz-44khz tabs mainly because i do not understand them...they are set at "optimized for quality, and simple algorithm" for scratch and "basic interpolation" for the khz... i also have the master tempo at fastest... the last three areas i have not played with much, but they do not seem to be the main area of concern in the forums in regards to crackling (then again i may be wrong)...

also, i have taken some advice from another forum and optimized my system by setting my memory to system cache, and took some more suggestions on another members blog and changed some other things that should help optimize my system for vdj... these however did not affect anything at all...

as for my gear:
gateway laptop 1.8 ghz amd turion 64 processor
1 gig ram
80 gig mem
maya usb sound card
2tts and mixer

hope this paints a better picture of why i feel it may be my vinyls...

thanks again,
bobby

Posted Wed 20 Sep 06 @ 2:15 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
How do you have you Maya setup in the ASIO Config?
Did you modify your latency setting? If so that's why you should leave VDJ on AUTO in the performance and also go back an back down the latency in the MAYA config. I noticed in the past if I have my latency set to fast I would get sporatic performance because my machine could communicate fast enough between the MAYA and VDJ.

Just some suggestions.

cstoll

Posted Wed 20 Sep 06 @ 3:41 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
You should know that its physically impossible to run 1ms latency over usb. Try setting it to 512 and see what happens.

Posted Wed 20 Sep 06 @ 5:29 am
hey, thanks for the help!

you guys are absolutely correct... i was using those wierd settings before and all this time all i had to do was REINSTALL the maya driver!

i have it set at auto now and it doesnt crackle at all...

thanks guys.

Posted Wed 20 Sep 06 @ 10:13 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)