Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Help with writing ID3 Tags (enabled in VDJ) (Album Art)

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

bmac16PRO InfinityMember since 2005
I'm looking for some help or guidance.

I'm very anal when making my mp3's (Exact Audio Copy, VBR at 320) and editing my Mp3's (MP3 tag clinic; excellent software).

I also have 10 or more cue points per song. Intro, 32 beat, vocals, chorus, breaks..etc. Current Collection 20,000 mp3's

My questions to the community is this:

I have all this information in the VDJ database in the XL which I copy and save just in case of a database error. (I've learned the hard way)

However when I want to add the album cover later for some of my MP3's in my collection all cue point information is LOST.

I have WRITE ID3 Tags enabled in my settings which I thought would write all my cue points to the actual MP3 even if I change the size of the MP3 with a JPEG.

This is not happening.

I'd like to go back to my collection and add the album covers to the MP3's that currently don't have it.

However, currently it would mean 3 years of lost cues which I can't have happen.

Any guidance on my situation would be appreciated.

Posted Tue 12 Sep 06 @ 5:50 pm
Adding coverart to your MP3s increases their filesizes, because of this, the file will no longer match up with the entry in the VDJ database and the file needs to be reanalysed, with cue points readded.

The Write to ID3 option in VDJ just adds a useless header (at least it did in v3.4) :(

Posted Tue 12 Sep 06 @ 6:47 pm
li125PRO InfinityMember since 2005
Thats that problem with the current minimal tag support in VDJ. Once a track is analysed and Cue's added, the info is in the Database. But when you change or clean up your tags afterwards (probably on the original mp3, not the copy on your laptop) the filesize of the mp3 changes and VDJ don't find a match in the XML file anymore. Meaning that all info inthere like Cues, BPM,... is lost.
Sometimes I use Comment field to enter some song specific memo's but only that is already enough to need to do another analyse. Once the filesize is altered the link is lost. Mind you the old info is still in the XML file and the new file info is addes as extra info. Also this garbage in the XML doesn't improve speed.
A clean up function is not provided in VDJ.
As far as I managed to find out (not much is out there about this) only ID3V1 and APEv2 tags are supported in VDJ, APEv2 first if both are present and only If Option tag read is on. So keep this in mind when changing tags.
I hope v4.1 brings better support for this, because for peolpe using the ID tags now the option are very limlited. I don't think there's a way for you adding Album Art w/o losing current VDJ info.

Posted Tue 12 Sep 06 @ 7:26 pm
bmac16PRO InfinityMember since 2005
I thought that much. I just put it out there to see if it was my individual concern or does our community as a whole have this concern too.

If it's prevelant enough maybe the DEV team will look at an enhancement in future upgrades in the software to find a way to imbed the cue points into the actual MP3.

I'm not a programmer so I don't know if this is even possible.

It drives me crazy to think that if my XML file is lost or damaged that I would loose all of my hard work in hours/days/years of my time anlayzing and cueing all of my collections of mp3's.

Just a thought

Posted Tue 12 Sep 06 @ 7:34 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)