Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Live Feed Camcorder Problems on 4.0 Help!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Trying to get a live feed with my Sony DCR-TRV17 digital Camcorder using the firewire connection on my camera and Laptop. All I get is horizontal lines. What's even worse is that my camera has a battery saving feature that turns off the camera in 5 minutes if it is not recording to save the battery (even if I'm plugged In) and as soon as it goes off, VDJ 4 locks up and I have to hit ctrl,Alt, Delete to close the program. Can anyone help?

Posted Fri 01 Sep 06 @ 7:53 pm
I set the camera to memory mode which so far seems to prevent the camera f4rom turning off. That will solve the VDJ lock up problem. I noticed when I move the camera around and aim it at different locations, the bars i=on the screen change color. It almost looks as though the camera is displayinmg it's feed but VDJ 4 is scrambling the picture. It's similar to old TV sets in appearance. Whenm this happened on old TV's you adjusted the horzontal and vertical line adjustments to line up the picture until the bars turned into a clear image. This has the same look, but I don't know how to fix it. Can ANYONE help?

Posted Fri 01 Sep 06 @ 8:09 pm
socrossPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I had the same problem with my DCR-HC20 handycam. When I hooked it up via USB, it worked just fine. If your camera has a USB out, then use that and you shouldn't have a problem.

You could also hook the camera directly to the TV system, and bypass VDJ altogether. I'm not sure what going through VDJ does for you, unless you are mixing it with videos or text, which I'm not sure you can do anyways.

Hope this helps!

Posted Fri 01 Sep 06 @ 10:12 pm
I had the same horizontal lines with my sony TRV11 hooked up via firewire... this is an issue.

Posted Fri 01 Sep 06 @ 11:09 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
@Socross, so your handycam has both usb and firewire and if you connect via usb its working and not via firewire ? give some more information about this.

Posted Sat 02 Sep 06 @ 12:56 am
socrossPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Yep, I've got a sony handycam DCR HC20, it has both firewire and usb out. When I hooked it up via firewire, I had the exact same problem as described above. When I hooked it up via usb, no problem at all.

Posted Sat 02 Sep 06 @ 3:20 am
I did try the USB first and the program did nothing except lock up the first few times. Each time I had to hit control, alt, delet to get out of it. By the 5th restart of VDJ it didn't lock up when I tried to activate the camera, but it also didn't do anything either. Just a black screen. No video and the buttons on the effects section on the cmera page didn't do anything. They would depress when I clicked on them, but wouldn't do anything else. I bought a Korg Cross 4 to mix the video feed in with the music videos I'll be mixing at parties. It would have been nice to be able to do everything through my laptop on VDJ without the need for any additional hardware. Oh well, maybe version 4.1 will fix these bugs.

Posted Sat 02 Sep 06 @ 7:40 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)