Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Something to think about

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

abnormPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Here is a dictionary definition of the word Virtual:

vir·tu·al
adj.
Existing or resulting in essence or effect though not in actual fact, form, or name: the virtual extinction of the buffalo.
Existing in the mind, especially as a product of the imagination. Used in literary criticism of a text.

Posted Fri 18 Aug 06 @ 10:13 pm
I've got to be honest, I never thought that Virtual DJ was a very good name for the software, since you can actually DJ on it, rather than just virtually! :)

Hopefully people won't focus on that word too much when they look at the software.

Posted Sat 19 Aug 06 @ 1:11 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
In this context I believe the word "Virtual" means software, It is Virtual Hardware or real software which ever way you look at it. It's not that your a 'Virtual DJ' if you use it, realistically all working VDJ users use hardware combined with software.

The meaning of the word Virtual was different before Controllers and Timecoded Vinyl/CD. So as the softwares functionality has evolved so has the meaning of its name, well for me anyway.

Posted Sat 19 Aug 06 @ 3:12 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
There is mix software just like VDJ from Slovenian programmers. It is called VisualDiscoMix.

What can you think about this name? :D

Some of you may seen it in Las Vegas show just near VDJ place: http://www.visualdiscomix.com/lv2006.htm (look second picture. VDJ place behind) ;)

Posted Sat 19 Aug 06 @ 3:35 pm
Im a new user and not a happy one, Ive had probs with just trying to install.
I think im gonna get a refund and wait till the new version comes out,THATS IF something else doesnt catch my eye first.
As for the refund , easy - Credit card company have already confirmed this and unless this product starts to work , I have no problems abandoning this sinking ship.

Posted Sat 19 Aug 06 @ 3:43 pm
Julie,
your post is totally off topic. If you have troubles you could start a topic in the software or hardware forum. I'm on the forum regularly and have not seen another post of you.

This software is working for most users without any problems. So Im almost sure that your problems could be solved also.
Ewout

Posted Sat 19 Aug 06 @ 4:05 pm
yupp, the name "virtual DJ" sort of throws me off too. In my opinion it sounds like something that isn't full fledged and even seems toyish, sort of. On a more superficial level, I would say that it is basically kinda uncool... Silly really, but I think the software would get more cred with a "cooler" name. I think VDJ sounds better that Virtual DJ.

Posted Sat 19 Aug 06 @ 7:14 pm
I think the more well known the software gets, the less people will pay attention to the name.

So at least it's easy to remember (or we could go for "VirtualVisualDiscoMusicVideoSamplingVinylControlMix" for a name!) :)

I guess over time it might eventually turn from Virtual DJ to just "VDJ", since that's what most people call it on the forums now.

Posted Sun 20 Aug 06 @ 3:11 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)