Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: We all know that VDJ is the best software, now the hardware?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Of course we all know that VDj is the best music mixing software avaliable, the thing we are all facing now is where do we go from here

while some of us are happy with just a laptop and the software, most of us are looking for some hardware to get a hands on feel with vdj, and to enhance it's features, maybe in some cases to be able to use headphone cueing without the need of getting a mixer ,

It seems that digital music hardware is being produced very rapidly, there are now many companys investing in this new way of mixing music,

considering we are all dedicated to vdj what is the hardware solution? (for proffesionals),

I curentley have no external hardware, but I have £500 to spend on a controller (or something), this money is the last bit of spending i'm going to do before i get out there,

So maybe we could all share our thoughts on all the avaliable and new contollers, What do you have?, What do you want?, what's best in your opinion?

Posted Wed 23 Jun 04 @ 5:18 pm
depends...
CD-jockey, or Vinyl jockey?

CD-LIKE CONTROLLERS:

XP10
XP10 is a pro controller ... ask speedland for a demovideo link. It works great!!! just like a pro cd-player

HERCULES
Hercules is pretty cool to, but more in the consumer marked, pub dj marked, than pro marked. But still pretty cool :)

----------------
BOTH CD- & VINYL-LIKE CONTROLLER

D-VINYL
Haven't tested or seen it myself, but there is a few nice feedback at this forum. Has both time-coded vinyl for great vinyl-like controll AND a very cool CD-like controller (looks alot better than DMC/DAC)

-----------

VINYL-LIKE CONTROLLER

D-VINYL
Only one so far, but there might be others supported in the future, as you said, it develops pretty fast :)

--------------------

REMOTE CONTROLLERS

DAC/DMC/D-VINYL
All have regular remote controll features, like a traditional remote for cd-players, seen in many DJ boots..

---------------------

FANCY-EXTRAS :)
A bunch of midi hardware that can be used to trigger effects, samples and other stuff...
One mentioned here is UC33e

-----------------------------------

Then again, all the info is here:
http://www.virtualdj.com/products/hardware.html

Best in my opinion? XP10 :) thats my solution for this year :)

Posted Wed 23 Jun 04 @ 6:19 pm
If you had just a laptop and the software and were about to go proffesional, what would you buy?

ok the XP10 would cost around £500 for 2 (my budget), would these require any additional hardware, mixer?, as the xp10 's have high quality built in soundcards, can you use headphone cueing without additional hardware, (exept of course headphones), plug the headphones into the deck you want to pre listen for advanced beat matching/ mixing techneques,

with my current basic setup, i have to use my musical knowledge (good knowledge of beats, waveforms from editing and writing software), and then make a slow transition (when doing basic fading), if I detect a slight off beat sound, i'll nudge before the song is heard at any noticeble volume ( for most people) and get the match i want, I would like headphone cueing so i could get it perfect,

The concept of the xp10 sounds great to me, assuming headphone cueing is possible?,

apparentely there is another version of the xp10 for the other software, what's the difference?, and can you choose any other colour than red?,

once again dj norway you continue to impress me with your dedication to answering posts....:)

Posted Wed 23 Jun 04 @ 6:41 pm
hehe... don't have a life, so all I do is reply here.. LOL ;)

well, just trying to be helpfull... and read others opinions and post.

Xp10 is a very proffesional solution, very much like having 2 pro dj-decks. So u must connect them to an external mixer to have the full pleasure of it (like you must with real cd-decks).
There is no way to pre-listen/cue without an external mixer.
But no other harware is needed than mixer (usually present at a club, but you might not have for home use). But then again, for home-practice, a small DJ mixer is pretty cheep...

if you are going to go for a proffesional solution and work as a DJ, XP10 is the choice (even other software have "copied" VDJ here, and start supporting this hardware).

But if you are not all there yet, still have to practice for some time at home, Hercules could be a good choice too! Kinda "toy-ish" feeling & looks, but still pro-enough for practice and even at a gig (I use it!)... Hercules is an all-in-one solution, with mixer, jogwheels and headset-output, so all you need to do at home is plug it into your stereo amp, and you have a home-nightclub running ;)

And, it sound like you are going to practice, so PRE-LISTEN IS EVERYTHING!! There is no way to make cool mixes, and practice dj-ing if you are not pre-listening to what you are going to mix... You MUST use headset to make your beats sync/fit, like you say..

Think Xp10 is black actually....RED??? haven't seen that
The VDJ XP10 and the general XP10 have minor differences, where the VDJ XP10 is designed and have buttons with VDJ software in mind.... but both works with VJD....

God, I must get a life ;) hehe.... .

---
Correction to my own post :)
- you must prelisten with headset to fully BEATMIX. Of course there are dj who don't beatmix, just fade on song out and start a new , or even talk in microphone between songs...
by no way disrespecting this way of DJ-ing. You don't have to beatmix.. but if that's what you want to do, pre-listening and cue-ing to find the right spot for mixing, is everything.. :)

Posted Wed 23 Jun 04 @ 6:56 pm
docPRO InfinityMember since 2020
I'm still waiting for some kinda mixmaster dm2 work. Great price, takes a beating (sortof). I'm just not good at doing those macros or shortcut keys thingy.

Posted Wed 23 Jun 04 @ 7:19 pm
You see all this is in theory, i don't know how the xp10's will work, i can just about see how they would work with a mixer, two seperate inputs into seperate channels like with cd players, all your adjusting of the sound is done on vdj and the mixing (or fading) on the mixer, but I don't understand how a mixer ould correspond to vdj, you could use the equalizer to drop the bass, but if you wanted to fade the bass into the other track then it's back to vdj (fruit skin),

the fader on vdj stays neutral, and on full, if you want a smooth transition you need a mixer with this feature, right?

so vdj is used for loading songs, playing, pausing, stopping, fx, and mainly the visual waveforms to help beat matching, and song positioning,

the mixer for the crossfader, seperate channels, equalizer, maybe another bpm counter!...

ok I think it's making sense to me, it's really very simple, i think....,

I think i'll need to get a mixer to practice with the headphones, to try setting it up ( so i know what leads and everything when i arrive at the club or pub), maybe i wont always need to take my own mixer always, but still to learn and expirence it at home realistically, what type of mixer would you suggest?, and i'll want a good one whatever i decide because i only buy the best or proffesional stuff.

and as for the way i suggested, i actually meant each deck has it's own xp10, left song = left xp10, the right deck could be playing but not to the audience, as the fader is to the left, now that right deck can be previewed through the headphones as the volume is up, and when you start fading the song plays through both the headphones and out the speakers,

just my theory, think it would work, as two soundcards creates multi channels so there is no need for a mixer with multi channels, would like to know all the details on this so i know before buying, any teamers here?

bagpuss,

Posted Wed 23 Jun 04 @ 10:28 pm
I haven't unfortantely, Where can i get it from?, would you be prepared to go to a private chat room?

Posted Wed 23 Jun 04 @ 10:44 pm
www.msn.com :) its for private chatting :)

my e-mail is in my profile

Posted Wed 23 Jun 04 @ 10:49 pm
I think the xp10 is ok but a pro controller is the best way to go all djs out there want to put everything in one case and go take a look at the hercules controller if only it was rockmont and had lcd display that would have make it the number one controller out there,the best looking one out there is the BPM pro but they are asking too much for it and you can't use it on orther dj software,

Posted Thu 24 Jun 04 @ 3:55 am
Hi again,

What pro mixers would you guys recommend to rn with vdj?, and what price for a good one?.

i sopose a mixer is a good idea for practice/ private parties, do they work nice with vdj?, and how would you use it for best results?

with dual soundcard, like the creative ones?, an xp10?, hercules?.......

Looking for a pro set-up to get some hands on with vdj,wanting to spend no more than £500, must get pre- listen on headphones......, bagpuss

Posted Thu 24 Jun 04 @ 7:50 pm
Bagpus,
you only are able to choose the proper mixer if you know the exact purpose (and the money you like to spend on it)
If you would like to use it for gigs I would recommend a

Pioneer DJM600 or Denon1500 mixer (Dateq, Rane and Allen and Heath are also good but rather expensive)

If you just like to practise at home I recommend a 2 or 3 channel Numark or a Behringer desk. Not the best ones out there but good for the money

Besides a mixer a good headphone is also essential

Ewout

Posted Thu 24 Jun 04 @ 9:46 pm
Hi there, The pioneer mixer looks very nice and the comments are even better, however the price is too much for me....

but, i do want to go pro, in that i intend to use vdj in bars and clubs, i have (nearly) decided to buy a mixer to enhance vdj and get the hands on expirence, I have just £500 to invest in my set-up before i start promoting myself, obviously adapt to the new feel,

I don't have a dual soundcard, so i will need either hercules, creative audigy (or other multi soundcard) or the xp10 (just one for now), considering all.... but i need advice,

i have £500 to spend, i WANT a mixer, and NEED a dual soundcard (high qulity sound),

I was looking at the behringer djx - 700 mixer, looks and sounds good, and yes it is said to be pro, you can't judge a company by one of their products or few of them...., this looks good for £220 (can get for £180)

check it out...
http://www.djsuperstore.co.uk/item/dj-mixers/289276-behringer-djx-700-mixer-£219.00

any opinions, advice is appreciated,

Posted Fri 25 Jun 04 @ 5:32 pm
WANT a a mixer : Go ahead ;) good for practice :)

*** PRO mixer ***
pros : very nice, good effects, solid hardware, durable, and good for "image". Crossfader, volumeslider, headphone output

cons: very expensive, a bit too much (?) since nighlclub/bars have a mixer for you alreday. Does not communicate with VDJ(the sliders dont move in skin)

models: pioneer 500/600, denon, tascam (some), ecler, allen heath etc

*** SEMI-pro ***

pros: same as above, but less responsive sliders, a bitt less durable/solid (some are for scratching almost, very strange sliders that kick in alot for the last part of the level), but affordable/not to expencive. A bit less image boost.. but not much, lol. Good to have one for odd chances where gigs dont have a mixer for you...

cons: not any really. As it is afordable...But does not communicate with VDJ(the sliders dont move in skin)

models: Behringer, numark, gemini, reloop, stage line, vestax etc (pioneer/denon have cheeper range too)

*** CONSOLE mixer ***
(hercules)

pros: very cheep, good for practice, and can even be used at (small gigs). Communicate with VDJ, when u move a slider/button, you can see this in skin (very cool). Is also a pretty good dual-soundcard

cons: a bit unresponsive/sticky, and not much of a image boost (but not the most important thing in the world, or?? lol). Abit un-durable, I guess

---------------------------

dual soundcard is a MUST..

my opinion there is no hard choice: xp10 : dual soundcard, AND tactical plate for scratch, jogwheel for nudge, pitch slider (will not find at mixer), play/cue buttons etc, but lack headphone output I think (but this is in your mixer)
(or hercules for saving money.. but dont have tactical plate, but do have a headphone output)

all other dual soundcards are just a dual soundcard (well, some have headphone output...)

----------------

but the choice really depends on you. ;) where u need it, and what u need for that setting...

If you are a "underground" dj, home-party dj etc, having an own mixer is a plus, since they often don't have one for you. Or if you are going to be a mobile dj (at wedding etc). Clubs/pubs almost always have the equipment there for u...

For home-practice, having a mixer is cool... for sure, but its up to you how much money you are going to spend... the more money, the better hardware (ranging from pioneer to vestax to hercules)

hard to help u really, is a users choice... your choice :)

dj in norway

---------------------------------------
a good artice "tips for choosing a dj mixer" can be found here:
http://www.dj-tips-and-tricks.com/dj-mixer-tips.html

Posted Fri 25 Jun 04 @ 6:19 pm
by the way, sorry for long post teamers :) hard to be brief on the topic...

Posted Fri 25 Jun 04 @ 7:12 pm
what is the difference between mobile dj mixers and scratch mixers?

obviously mobile mixers sound like what i want but don't know the difference,

i like the numark matrix 3 mixer, has top reviews, but is a scratch mixer........

and rackmount, please explain.....

Posted Sun 27 Jun 04 @ 5:25 pm
mobile mixers? haven't hear the term before, but I guess the meaning is that it's light and easy to carry... Pioneer 500/600 mixer (pro) for example is VERY heavy, and not what I would call a mobile mixer... lol ...
Guess a mobile mixer would be a mixer with 2 channels (and a master), and little in size and weight, but can still be a very good mixer :) just kept to a minimum...

scratch mixers/battle mixer etc is a whole different story... hard to explain kinda. Major difference is that sliders (crossfader/volume) are made for scratching, hence don't work in a regular way by increase or decrease in a normal fashion, but rather "kick in" with a boost for the last part of the slider, making cuts for scratching easier... its like when u move the volume-slider slowly to max, and it seems like volume increases accordingly, but for the last part of the slider, volume increases a lot more, making an extra boost/kick inn... hard to explain

but really, any decent dj-store will let you try mixers in the store, and give you qualified information - and guidance :)
try before you buy :)

and rackmount... well, it means that it fits in a rack. Guess this is not important for u, as you have a laptop and not going to make a rack ...
well you can make a rack, if you want to have "all in a box" for mobile gigs...
here is a rackmount photo of a laptop and rackmount mixer (not VDJ, but a less good dj program in photo...lol) :
http://www.bpmdigitaldjgear.com/images/productimages/rackmountsystem_fronttop2.gif

by the way, numark are good mixers, for nice price...
found one that would be great AND mobile for you at the same site as above:
http://www.bpmdigitaldjgear.com/product_info.php/cPath/42_49/products_id/60

Posted Sun 27 Jun 04 @ 5:42 pm
I think it's just a regular mixer that i need then..... i don't think i need a rackmount or a scratch mixer,

just a regular pro mixer, because i don't mind carrying two cases....,

does anyone know of any good dj mixer review sites?,

want to make sure what i get is the best for my budget......

and norway you on msn?

Posted Mon 28 Jun 04 @ 12:51 am
spindemPRO InfinityMember since 2004

Posted Tue 29 Jun 04 @ 7:56 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)