Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Database questions

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I was wandering if there was a program that can scan cds and hard drives and create a database so you can search your song library of your mp3;s and songs that you have on cds. Something that can print the database too so people can view your library. Thanks alot, any comments would be appreciated

Posted Wed 02 Aug 06 @ 5:16 am
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Go have a look at download.com, there's all sorts of music management type stuff there. I use a program called Maxlister, although it doesn't do printing I still find it very useful.

By the way, I'd advise against printing off your library database and showing it to people. In my experience, if you give your average punter a list of everything you own, you can pretty much guarantee they'll pick something awful that they wouldn't have thought of asking for otherwise! And yes, before anybody else says it, my own fault for owning said awful tracks, but you see what I'm getting at I hope!

Posted Wed 02 Aug 06 @ 6:31 am
Thats True...Thank you for your reply

Posted Wed 02 Aug 06 @ 6:54 am
I use where Is It. Works great for offline cds and dvds of your music as well as hard drives as well.

Posted Wed 02 Aug 06 @ 10:06 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
mediamonkey.com
best mp3 (and more) cataloging program.

Posted Wed 02 Aug 06 @ 11:47 am
I use Mac (Mpeg audio collection). It is freeware and I like it a lot. It can also rename or re-tag files and has output to html or printer.
Ewout

Posted Wed 02 Aug 06 @ 6:01 pm
DJBorgHome userMember since 2006
I am developing software that will read all the songs on your hard drive (MP3 and mpeg), read the Virtual DJ XML, Playlists and history files, read the PCDJ XML files and allow you to print them in a variety of reports.

http://djprinter.alaskaborg.com

I have had clients ask me "What Music Do You Have?" I have more than 20,000 on my hard drive - where do I start!
There have been times that I get new Promo Only and Street Tracks, rip them to the hard drive and then something comes up (Kid problem or honey-do list item) and I forget to add the new songs to my music folder for VDJ and / or PCDJ.

Some of my D.J. associates here report to Record Pools and labels, some have mix shows on the radio and need to report the music they play - including me (Classic Soul on KNBA 90.3 FM, Anchorage knba.org)

The one request that got this off the ground was creating a list of the songs played at a wedding reception and putting the bride and groom's picture as a watermark in the background of the report and their name on the top of the page. Then giving this to the newlyweds as a pdf so they could send it to their friends and family. That was a hit!

I have the site up that describe the program and will publish a beta that will be good until December 1, 2006. That beta will be posted Monday Night Pacific Time (USA) for all to download and test.

I need to finish the help file so you will know how to use it.

The program's main purpose is to create reports from the hard drive scans and reading the database files that Virtual DJ and PCDJ creates but it will do some file management stuff after November... maybe.

If you would like to test the program please download it from my site Monday night and let me know what you think by posting here or sending email to --@--.--

I'm working on importing the history file and getting that right. I think the XML and playlists are working pretty good now.

The reports are basic right now and I will refine them last in the order of things on my to-do list. I want to make sure that the files are being imported correctly and the program can catch most errors.

Then I will add some stock reports and will have a featuer that will allow you to download free report styles every month or so.

Remember that the current link doesn't have anything right now, you can download the old help file but the new files will be ready Monday, Oct. 9

I hope you like it!

DJ Rico
AlaskaBorg BeatMix Collective
Anchorage, Alaska

--
Moderated by Lady Cameron
Sorry DJBorg no email address is allowed from a demo user

Posted Sun 08 Oct 06 @ 1:02 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)