Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Hip Hop Crowd Hyping techniques?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hey guys, do you guys have any secrets for getting a hip hop crowd moving?
Or just a song/trick you use to boost the energy once its already going.

One of my favorite tracks to boost the energy once there's a decent ammount of people already on the floor is "Be Faithful" by fatman scoop. I normally let that run until the engine engine number nine break down, and then scratch out to another song when the music is kicking back in.

To start the crowd, i play some throwaway music (stuff thats not bad but not current hits) until I feel the crowd has reached a certain critical mass, then I play a song the girls love to get them out there. Eventually the guys follow.
An alternate approach is to play crunk music to get the guys out there spinning around, then the more confident/crunk women go out there, and eventually they start dancing with each other as you move away frmo crunk music.

Failing that, I go to electric slide music (khaia - cant wang with it/ cha cha slide etc..). This gets guys and girls on the floor, then hopefully you can transition them to dancing from there.

My desparation routine is to play one or two of the best tracks you can think of from each genere the crowd is likely to respond to and just keep rotating amoung genre's until something clicks. ( I normally go, crunk, regular speed r&b/hiphop, booty music, reggae, maybe not in that order).

Posted Wed 19 Jul 06 @ 5:11 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
9mm gunfire works well I find.......

If you are trying to get the bpm up to 140, try an Uzzi aimed at the flo'

Posted Wed 19 Jul 06 @ 5:15 pm
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
lol, or throw a couple of bags of ganja in the middle of the dance floor, seriously though, it depends on the age group, alot of the crowd I Dj for rather hear the Old School Hip Hop, Reggaeton, Dirty South

Posted Wed 19 Jul 06 @ 7:20 pm
No you did not say Ganja. lol.

Posted Wed 19 Jul 06 @ 8:33 pm
didnt feel like using any other words that might be offensive :( coulda just said a couple of nicks

Posted Wed 19 Jul 06 @ 8:34 pm
It's just funny to me because it reminds me of the early 90's. Just having fun with ya Philly. Don't take it seriously. :)

Posted Wed 19 Jul 06 @ 8:36 pm
oh i know :)

Posted Wed 19 Jul 06 @ 8:37 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Ganja? with a capital G? what is there a Mr Ganja or a place called Ganja?

Posted Thu 20 Jul 06 @ 1:50 am
Two words: Party Breaks

Posted Thu 20 Jul 06 @ 4:26 am
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005

puerto rico HOOOOOOOO!!

Posted Thu 20 Jul 06 @ 7:11 am
Actually listen2,.. isn't the flip side of that record what you would normally play? I have the same record and I think I play the flipside, the one with the "Puerto Rican Day Parade" mix. Either way,.. side A or B,.. this break will hype ANY hip-hop crowd,.. at least as good as 900 Number, Ladies & Fellas, Thug Anthem, Be Faithful, Clear My Throat or any of the other overplayed breaks. Overplayed or not, dance floors LOVE these party breaks.

Posted Thu 20 Jul 06 @ 8:19 pm
LOL I cant remember the last time I heard "Ganja".

Posted Thu 20 Jul 06 @ 8:56 pm
anewsome wrote :
Two words: Party Breaks

Party Breaks you say? Send the name of a few of your favorites, I love quality breaks!

Posted Thu 20 Jul 06 @ 9:00 pm
Fatman Scoop - Get Loose (Over Amerie 1 Thing Beat)
The Rite Brothers - Thug Anthem 2000
Crooklyn Clan - Be Faithful (Featuring Fatman Scoop)
DJ Kool - It Takes Two (Featuring Crooklyn Clan)
DJ Kool - Let Me Clear My Throat
DJ Mark The 45 King - The 900 Number
V Smoove & Serg Sniper - Roc-A-Way (Lean Back)
Funkmaster Flex - C'mon Baby (Ghetto Mix)
Crooklyn Clan - Let's Get Ill
Breaks R' Us - Where Ma Ladies At (The original Ladies!, Fellas! callout hook)
Fatman Scoop - Goodies Party Break (On Fatwax)

and of course

Frankie Cutlass - Puerto Rico

Those are some of my favorite ones I like to drop at hip-hop jams but there are literally hundreds of them like these.

Posted Thu 20 Jul 06 @ 10:44 pm
Anewsome,
very good list.

I have also some favourites, may be slight different genre and a little older:
- Naughty by nature - Hip hop hooray
- Naughty by nature - Opp
- House of pain - Jump around
- Kriss kross - Jump
- Monie love - Its a shame
- King bee - Back by dope demand (Dutch artists)
- Stetsasonic - Talking all that jazz
- Salt n pepa - Push it
- Jungle brothers - What are you waiting for
- 2 Hyped brothers - Doo doo brown
- Chubb rock - Threat em right

Also did an early "Swing beat" or "New jack swing" party some weeks ago. Brought back lots of old memories back... Also lots of nice music. If playlists needed just let me know
Ewout

Posted Thu 20 Jul 06 @ 11:48 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Nice lists!
Kurtis Blow - The Breaks

Love it.

Posted Fri 21 Jul 06 @ 1:15 am
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Breaks for sure are the way to go if you wanna amp the crowd. You can't lose if you got fatman scoop & crooklyn clan in your collection.

My personal favourite break is the 'jump' break.... sorry I can't remember where its from or the name. Anyhow it runs through the series of jump tunes... house of pain jump, kriss kross jump and then ends with Busta Rhymes pumping with Don't this sh** make you wanna.... easy transition then into Pass the Courviouser (spelling).

Posted Fri 21 Jul 06 @ 3:16 am
Nice tracks Superstorm, those all defintely work but I'd put them in the category of "regular songs" rather than "party breaks", know what I mean. They all work though. And rids, I do know the "jump" party break, that is some dance floor madness right there when that thing drops! You can especially use the fatman scoop, crooklyn clan, dj kool breaks to hype your crowd if you're not real good on the mic.

Posted Fri 21 Jul 06 @ 5:24 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)