Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: My first live VDJ gig experience :)

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

had my first time live VDJ-ing this weekend... :)

The thing is that it was a really busy Saturday.
I had a main gig at a disco, and was asked by a friend to play before that too, at a closed pre-party for friends etc...

Because of the place and circumstances, the pre-party was at a pub, usually for live bands etc. But for this night changed into a "club" .. but still, not much of DJ equipment there, so I asked my friend if I could give pc-djing a shot... and there I was, with my Hercules and VDJ running at my laptop :)

I had no problems what so ever running the whole gig with VDJ! :) very cool...
And being a kinda friends party, there was lotsa asking for song - and database search would make me find them really fast!! like it a lot.... hehe... a lot faster than with cd's! ;)

My main gig was with Pioneer decks, and Pioneer mixer, because the club have that installed...

But had so much fun with VDJ that I even played for free at a after-party... hehe... at a different location ;) and all went well there too.... :)

So... there is bound to be more VDJ-ing in my near future!! thanx guys!!

Pictures from both VDJ gigs are here:
http://www.freewebs.com/djnorway
(bad quality - taken with mobile phone camera... lol...)

Dj in norway

Posted Sun 20 Jun 04 @ 5:54 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Wicked my friend, i'm looking for any opportunity at the moment and virtual dj really is a great tool, whether other people like it or not vdj is a proffesional product, hence the professional results when used under skilled people,

Vdj is only easier because it's more fun with all your music a few keys away...., all needed buttons close and situated in practical places, extensive features that would cost a fortune to buy seperately!,

So vdj has plenty to shout about but is brought down only by those who see it as a game or are used to decks, cd's and aren't open minded enough to accept that computers are much more intelligent and capable than standard players and can replace some hardware, and yes there is much room for skilled people when using vdj......, in fact paul van dyk was using a laptop to scratch his mp's at a very very big live festivel (watch myv dance), all the top dj's were saing the same, it's what comes out the speakers that matters and pleasing the crowd, rather than your prefferd means of delivering that sound

Glad you enjoyed your gigs, can't wait till i get out there too.

bagpuss

Posted Sun 20 Jun 04 @ 6:14 pm
I went to a gig with Dimitri From Paris, one hell of a dj... here in Norway.
He got good albums out, have played at most cool places all over the world... even Playboy mansion :) LOL

And he was using MP3 as well... with some hardware.

and it sounded GREAT!! :)

So mp3 dj-ing is going to be the future... Even pro cd-players have started to implement mp3 playing, mp3 scratching and even wave-form window... But still, a computer and Xp10 (or other good hardware) is going to be alot better, with more solutions and possibilities than a little cd-player can do....

and for your other post about "back-up".... use a mp3 player/minidisk or other, as a safe guard in case VDJ crashes... (which it doesn't...really... not with regular use... I have tried to make it crash, by doing all kinds of fast and crazy thing.. and only made it crash ONCE!!! wow... and thats a bug thats going to be fixed (playlist sort and brownse crash))....

So ... I'm happy, the sun is shining...and there was even a couple of phone-numbers to a few blondes given me after the gigs on Saturday... lol... so who can complain :) HE HE

Dj in norway

Posted Sun 20 Jun 04 @ 6:23 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
So at a standard night club where there is a mixer and amp present, plug the jack from my laptop into one channel (left and right signals) and the mp3 player into the secound channel, obviously using vdj as the mixer and play straight from the mp3 player if the software crashes,

is that right?, sorry fo the dumb assquestion, farely new to all the technicalities....

Posted Sun 20 Jun 04 @ 6:32 pm
that's right..... :)

Most pro-mixers have 3-4 inputs.
So you could even have 2 outputs from VDJ/Hercules... one output for each deck, into the first 2 channels of the mixer, and the minidisk/mp3 player in the 3 channel... using the mixer as the mixer :)

Posted Sun 20 Jun 04 @ 6:49 pm
Halla Dj in Norway!

Good to hear that the gig went well. Where do you usually dj? Oslo, Trondheim, Bergen,...? Maybe I've heard you play? :)

I myself come from Toensberg, but I'm often in Oslo (when I'm home in Norway).

Cheers

- Jim

Posted Sun 20 Jun 04 @ 8:42 pm
Hi Nordic ;)

I play resident in Bergen... and sometimes just outside Bergen.
So guess u haven't heard me play...hehe

But maybe we should team up for a VDJ dj battle showcase once... back 2 back... :) that would be cool...

Dj In Bergen

Posted Sun 20 Jun 04 @ 8:52 pm
Dj in Bergen

Cool idea! Yeah, that would be fun.

- Jim

Posted Sun 20 Jun 04 @ 9:06 pm
cyberiaPRO InfinityMember since 2004
DJ-In-Norway,

Greetings from Florida. Many thanks for all the info from you coming this rookie's way! Anywhere I can find your gig's playlist or parts of it? Have a 4th of July possible 8-hour gig coming up, could use some ideas on what to play for an after-hours, I-had-a-few-drinks part of it. Also, is the Most Played VDJ songs list still online somewhere? Cannot seem to locate it.

Thx,

Ivanko

Posted Mon 21 Jun 04 @ 4:45 pm
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Yesssss playlists are welcome.

Posted Mon 21 Jun 04 @ 5:04 pm
hi cyberia...

thanx for the nice comment... glad to inspire. :)
Could post a after-party playlist 4 you, but it kinda depends on what kinda people/setting you are going to play...
Give me a few hints, and I'll post some of my favorites for that kinda settings (sure some one else might post a few songs as well...)

Think the "most played songs" is removed... not sure
Maybe we could have a playlist-forum here instead

Dj in Norway
(FAR FAR AWAY FROM FLORIDA... lol)

Posted Mon 21 Jun 04 @ 5:05 pm
Don't feel bad, it's raining in Florida now :).

Plus, very few Scandinavian blondes here.

The planned setting is the roof of the downtown building, watching the fireworks over the river around 10 p.m. I should start around 7, and go on until possibly 3, or until it rains, or until I am the only man standing. The crowd should be mostly people in their mid-twenties to mid-thirties, the preferred music is Billboard's Top 40, with the likes of Lil' John, Britney, Petey Pablo, etc. I am throwing some dance remixes of those tunes in as well. Would love to end on just as high of a note as I would start, make them want more. I realize that's a challenge, so I'm looking for some ideas from the other side of the pond.

Later...

Posted Mon 21 Jun 04 @ 5:30 pm
hehe...
Floridas beaches vs Scandinavian blondes... hmmm...though choice.... but think I would go for the blondes! LOL :)

Other side of the pond... hehe.... nice way of putting it :)

Sounds like a cool party...
Billboard kinda music... chart music... Should be kinda straight forward...
Maybe mash-mixes would be something for you! many of them are REALLY cool!!!! and even MTV are giving them credit now...

Also.. going as high as mid-30's, dropping a few classic 80's & 90's between new hits could make the dance floor alive :) Nothing like mixing a few classic from the youth years into the mix....
Like --- take "Maroon 5 - This Love" and blend it into "Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer", or even "Joan Jett - I love Rock n Roll" - all close BMP, easy to remix..... :)
But then again, that's what mash-mix is all about....
U will easily find free mash-mixes on the net...
Like "Madonna vs Kevin Lyttle - Turn Me On Bonita" (Turn me on mixed with La Isla Bonita)....

One trick that I use a lot, is work the dance floor up to about 125-130 bmp in an hours playtime... When U are there, its really pumping at the dancefloor, and hard to top that, and also, u wanna give them a "break" - so "kill" the up-tempo beat by throwing in a classic, will not seem like a floor-killer, but more like a change in mood :) like throw in an Abba classic (Dancing Queen) after hitting the floor with some dance/house music (can't stay on the 130 bmp too long for this kinda party I think...), or Sister Sledge...or something fun.

Don't know if you are looking for a more specific playlist, because chart/billboard music is just kinda like playing radio-show live... I can post a playlist, but u probably know what’s hot or not at the chart anyway.

The tip above was ment more for giving the party some diversity, excitement and mood-changes... So that it doesn't get to much of a radio-show (= can get boring...)

Just a few thoughts from my side of the pond... lol

Dj In Norway

Posted Mon 21 Jun 04 @ 6:08 pm
ALSO...
A very important lesson I have learned...
DON'T MIX GENRE TOO MUCH!!

Say u play a few new hits for a while, and wanna change to, say Sister Sledge...
Stick with a few in same genre (the “sister sledge 70's genre”) before changing to something else..

Because it sounds a lot more like a planned mix, is easier to relate too! And people have different preferences... Say “Sister Sledge” get a few screaming girls to the dancefloor, singing the chorus out loud. They would love to hear a new one after that song, in same genre! Throwing in Britney would make them "confused", kill the mood. Instead mix into "Donna Summers - Hot Stuff" or something like that... same genre, same BMP, cool song, and the girls on the floor stay happy... when u see them leave for a drink, throw in Britney :)

At least a couple of songs in that genre. If the "70's stuff" where just for fun, don't stay there too long, get back into new hits as fast as possible. But not after first song... Cause someone there I'm sure would like u to stay there for a couple of songs... :)

Dj In Norway

Posted Mon 21 Jun 04 @ 6:27 pm
DJ-In-Norway,

Having this event as a radio show is exactly what I am trying to avoid. Anyone can get out there and do it. To me, what could make this (or any event, for that matter) different is

a). Original mix
b). DJ's personality

VDJ makes a). above easier; though, I must admit, I'm still a rookie. Thanks for your tips regarding the playlist, too, these kinds of hints was exactly what I was looking for. How important do you think point b). above is? If it is important, how much do you or any other guys out there interact with their audiences?

Also, what sources do you guys use to stay up-to-date with the latest music?

Glad to see screaming girls are a world-wide phenomena. More screamers, yeah!!!

Posted Mon 21 Jun 04 @ 7:42 pm
Hi again “Other Side Of The Pond Dj” :)

As of (a) original mix…
- its cool to hear good mixes, but don’t over-do this… hehe.. I’ve seen too many DJ’s being too technical, too focused on mixing, rather than communicating with dancefloor & guests, playing the right songs etc.. Sad, but true! Being too technical, too “mix-focused” can sometimes ruin the atmosphere, and its really not a “dj showcase” , but an arrangement for the guests….
“A good DJ is NOT about being the best mixer, but about playing the right tunes for the moment, setting, and mood of the night” – quote from a world famous DJ.
And its soooooo true!!! It’s not all about you… LOL :)

Which kinda moves over to (B)
- DJ personality
It’s really hard to say anything general about this. It sooo depends on the place, setting etc. Sometimes the DJ is just not noticeable, other times centre of the attention :) Depends on how the pub/club is made, where dj is placed, and what kinda place it is… more often u will actually see the bartenders “steal the show”…hehe

as a general tip I would say you kinda have to feel yourself what to do… But, stay in touch with the mood and atmosphere of the quests! It’s nothing more stupid that see a dj take off behind the dj-booth when the mood of the place is laid-back, or the opposite – see a DJ stiff as wood, when the place is boiling hot and dancefloor is kicking! :)

Hard to give advice really…. It’s more about being yourself, don’t over-do anything.
Experience is everything… you will have misses and hits, learning how to be a better dj :)

And screaming girls are always lotsa fun!!! lol :)

BEST PLACE I'VE SEEN FOR "BEEING UPDATED":
http://top40-charts.com/

Charts from all over the world! In different categories and genre... even with pre-listen possibilites... great site!!!

Posted Mon 21 Jun 04 @ 8:19 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Just look at the crowd. It's usually made up of different groups. Isolate in your mind a couple of the biggest groups. Pick someone within each of those groups, and say to yourself, "what would I want to hear if I was her?"

You have to please first the ladies.
If they are happy, the men will be happy too.

Posted Mon 21 Jun 04 @ 8:54 pm
True Rick...very true ;) men will always follow the girls... lol

Posted Mon 21 Jun 04 @ 9:09 pm

Posted Tue 22 Jun 04 @ 2:16 pm
nice find.... ;)
"music that MOBILE DJs agreed are their most requested songs...."

Cool!

Looked at the list, and find many of the requests to be true :) but a few odd ones as well, that I have never heard a request for... but still.. cool list :)

If you bring some of the "classics" on that mobile dj request list + "all" the new billboard/chart hits, your party is going to be good... :) You will have the latest hits, and a few "classics" for changing the mood, and for random requests... :)

Dj On The Far Side Of The Pond

Posted Tue 22 Jun 04 @ 2:22 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)