Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Sorry my first post is a moan................

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

djfunktHome userMember since 2006
Hi folks, Sorry that my first post contains a grumble but i'm hoping some of yourselves had had more luck than I have...

I ordered the hercules mk2 controller as I thought it would be a nice edition to my setup (1210s, 400w floorstanders etc.etc.) I also use a pc with the setup sometimes for recording mixes etc but usually for looping sounds up and generally having a bit of a mess around, when i'm playing out its ususally just the decks that come out.

The hercules controler mk2 seemed like a good edition as i was after a midi controler. there was also a nice software bundle included

>Bundled Software (PC version): Virtual DJ from Atomix Productions, a full
>professional DJ software suite New DJ SE from GMIXON, the easy-to-use DJ
>mixing software Ots CD Scratch 1200 and OtsDJ demo from Ots Audio, a
>virtual turntable CD player and a revolutionary MP3/CD/WAV playback system
>for DJs, radio stations and music lovers Storm 2.0 DJ Edition from Storm
>Music Studio, a powerful audio sequencer DJ Console Softmapper from
>Hercules, a powerful mapping interface allowing you to assign keyboard
>shortcuts to your DJ Console\'s controls for hands-on control of audio
>applications (mapping of digital controls only)

The main thing a wanted here was the mapping software so i parted with 180 quid and awaited my new toy.

The only software it came with was the drivers and a copy of virtual dj - there was nothing else included!

So I contact the shop I got it from (www.djstore.co.uk) and their attitude was "Its not our fault, you need to contact the manufacturer"

So I contact hercules and they say (and this is a quote from their email) "It seems that it´s a mistake in the features on that site. - We remain at your service for any other questions concerning our products."

Now i cant even get a refund here as there is not a fault with the item - to be fair its actually a pretty good product and the bundled edition of virtual dj is great fun and so easy a 10 year old can use it (my 10 year old son dj'ed his own birthday party with it lol)

But i have never recieved this kind of service with dj equipment before...can you imagine technics treating you like this if your 1210's didnt arrive with everything included? How about vestax? or numark?

As we all know there is a lot of discussion about mp3's and dj'ing and the pros and cons with vinyl versus digital but one thing that could put people off would be the same old poor customer service that seems to exist with pc equipment. - The vendor fobs you off by saying its the manufacturers fault, the manufacturer says the vendor is in the wrong.

has anyone else had this experience?

I must stress that i think virtual dj is a bloody good bit of software though....

Thats all folks I hope my next post will be a bit more positive

Posted Tue 20 Jun 06 @ 2:22 am
Hi there...

At least I do believe the support here is a positive one ;)

But I did not quite catch what the issue was?

- Does the Mk2 not work?
- Can you not map midi`?

And to add to that, is it really the mk2 model you have?
The install cd program that you reffer to I do believe belongs to the mk1 model, and not the mk2.
The mk2 model only has Virtual DJ 3.4 on the CD (Console Version).

Sorry for not quite catching what the you are dissatisfied with....

Posted Tue 20 Jun 06 @ 7:13 am
Hi

Relly, this is not a Virtual DJ issue, it is between you and the the retailer who sold you the equipment. Sounds like they might not have updated their web site properly.

In UK law, if the goods are not as described on the web site you have the right to an immediate refund if you return the goods in good condition. Any problems with them you could contact Trading Standards in the local council the number will be in the telephone book.

Also in UK law, if you buy something mail order, you have the right to return for full refund if it's not what you want. This is because you haven't been able to look at it in the shop.

So the decision for you is. Are you happy with the product without the software. If so that's fine, just leave it. Alternatively send back and get money back.

I've dealt with djstore in the past and they have been only too happy to take things back if they aren't what is wanted. They're service is usually pretty good.

Maybe a lot of those programs are available as demos from the web sites??

I am sure, though that you will be happy with the Hercules and VDJ. Even more if you upgrade to the full version.

Any other probs drop me a private email.

Posted Tue 20 Jun 06 @ 10:04 am
I bought the Hercules MKII from Amazon (£135, bargain!) but half the software promised was missing, it did arrive in a sealed box so it was brand new. I weren't too bothered as I was only interested in VDJ program after trying out the trial. Hercules didn't even bother replying to my email about the missing software though.

My MKII came with vdj 3.0 and I registered here to get the updates.

Posted Tue 20 Jun 06 @ 10:53 am
Sounds a good deal - and again, with Amazon, if it's not right you can send back. But as long as you get VDJ it's a fantastic deal.

Posted Tue 20 Jun 06 @ 11:03 am
Hi again people, its always nice to see replys to posts, thanks to all for the interest

Just to clarify, it is the MK2 version of the hercules controler that I have, and I have no problem with the bundled virtual dj software. My main issue was that I didnt get any mapping software to enable me to use the controler with other applications.

I also used to be a tech advisior who could also sell PC products over the phone so am well aware of the distance selling regulations and the the time allowed to return goods. unfortunately though it is now too late as i spent several weeks chasing this software.

As we all know, when you buy any piece of hardware you get bundled software that is ususally a "home edition" and not the "pro edition" to give you a taste of what the software can do, a lot of cameras and printers come with photoshop elements, for example. But I was well pleased with the bundled "home" version of VDJ, it really does show what the console can do and the visusal elements (overlapping wave display) both look good and do help .I would class this as full version software. The bpm matching is certainly very good it is clear that a lot of thought has gone into the layout of the program, the simplicity of the layout is deceptive as this really is a nice piece of coding! As I mentioned before, my 10 year old son dj'ed his party with it and his mates had a go as well,(better than letting them loose with vinyl and needles lol)

I may well upgrade to a pro version at a later stage (although to be honest the bundled version is meeting my needs quite nicely at the moment), I am looking into the various timecode vinyl options and hardware solutions on the market at the moment.

I would be very interested to know what my options are regarding mapping software, I noticed someone else had the same problem as me regarding a lack of software so I cant be the only one.

still havin fun with the software though! And i look forward to contributing to the forum, I've had my moan now (although not about vdj) but I'm usually more an upbeat person

Damien

Posted Tue 20 Jun 06 @ 11:54 am
When I got mky MK2 all was there and good !!! :D

So it's probably sellers fault ;)

Dani

Posted Tue 20 Jun 06 @ 12:12 pm
bex_fantazia wrote :
I bought the Hercules MKII from Amazon (£135, bargain!) but half the software promised was missing, it did arrive in a sealed box so it was brand new. I weren't too bothered as I was only interested in VDJ program after trying out the trial. Hercules didn't even bother replying to my email about the missing software though.

My MKII came with vdj 3.0 and I registered here to get the updates.

I had a Hercules Mk2 preordered from Amazon since 1st January and it never offered any software other than Virtual DJ, are you sure you didn't confuse it with the Mk1? Eventually I got sick of waiting for over a month for the Mk2 and bought it elsewhere.

Also in response to the original post, DJStore did their usual and copy and pasted the product information without verifying it. It's the description for the Mk1 console. This is their mistake and in the UK I belive you'd have a right to take it to them, I did this with a company before after they cc'd everyones e-mail address in an e-mail lol, saved myself £150 on a nice GPU ;-)

Posted Tue 20 Jun 06 @ 12:24 pm
Glad you're pleased with the Hercules and VDJ - Just wanted to help if you needed it with the distance selling regs. Don't Hercules have the midi mapping software ontheir site? Haven't looked, just wondered. ;)

I've noticed as well that DJStore often has wrong info on their site.

Don't forget that if you buy a pro version now, you will get the upgrade to version 4 FOC. I use it and it's fantastic.

Andy

Posted Tue 20 Jun 06 @ 1:10 pm
When I got mky MK2 all was there and good !!! :D

So it's probably sellers fault ;)

Dani

looks like hercules changed spec without informing retailers but I tried them again and they dont want to know.

djstore just keep telling me its not their fault, nothing they can do etc. etc. - to be fair i dont see it as their problem either, they have clearly posted info that they get from hercules, it was just incorrect info.

so what software did you get dani?

Posted Tue 20 Jun 06 @ 1:46 pm
If you look carefully DJ Store clearly c*cked up. They copy and pasted the product information for the Hercules DJ Console and not the Hercules DJ Console Mk2; they're the only retailer to have done so and as well as overcharging compared to other retailers, they still haven't amended the information.

Posted Tue 20 Jun 06 @ 1:49 pm
well I cant be bothered to pursue it any further, I just wont use djsore (deliberate spelling mistake!) again, the console itself is pretty good and the VDJ software is top notch also, I will just keep my eye out for mapping software (the main reason i got it) if any of you guys can help with this it will be appriciated.

I may update to the pro version at a later stage who knows, anyone in the lancashire area using timecode?

Damien

Posted Tue 20 Jun 06 @ 1:57 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003

Posted Tue 20 Jun 06 @ 3:07 pm
djfunkt wrote :
My main issue was that I didnt get any mapping software to enable me to use the controler with other applications.

Regarding just that...

Most software will let you map midi on the fly, inside the software.
If you use for example an audio software, and go to the midi setup, just press the button or turn the knob on the console for the function you want to map in the software.

So, MK2 usually dont need a mapper, as software have this "built in". (live-mapping/mapping-on-the-fly).

The MK1 had a mapper, but Hercules removed it, as it did not really have any practical use.

hope that helps a bit... :)

Regarding the software package you where promised (lots of demo software + no-time-limited VDJ), that belongs to the Mk1 and not the mk2. The other software in the mk1 install where all time limited, except VDJ.. So the only software you could enjoy for as long as you like, was VDJ... Guess thats part of the reason that the MK2 model only have VDJ.

And you are absolutely true about this version of VDJ. Its limited in some ways, but fully working for as long as you like.
If you do want to upgrade to the pro version later, some of the difference is here :
http://www.virtualdj.com/products/djcedition.html

Posted Tue 20 Jun 06 @ 4:48 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)