Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: D-vinyl and others, Some questions for Corporate Representative

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
I'm very happy to see D-vinyl support in Vdj 2.0
I was one of the people here asking for vinyl support.

The problem is that i found D-vinyl system somewhat expensive for existing Vdj users (or potential users, like me), while it is a very good deal for d-vinyl users...
because d-vinyl controller is excellent but their software isn't so good.

With this point of view it is very smart marketing (as always) from Atomix,
(and this is not bad at all)

What is best for Vdj users :
1. A native solution using Atomix made vinyl records and -preferable- any hardware
(like Pcdj scratch or mixvibes dvs (this works even with no phono preamps, keeping the price down this way)

or -NOT preferable- with dedicated hardware like final scratch, or Rane Serato, or D-vinyl)
(this will raise the price up..)

There is a "more open" solution : using existing timecoded vinyls or cd's with no dedicated hardware
like Djdecks does (it uses Final scratch and Ms Pinky records)
I made a research in my area and found that Final scratch replacemant records are available
even for non Final scratch owners for a good price, because of Stanton.
(I didn't found D-vinyl records.)

SO, THE TECHNOLOGY EXIST.

What i want to know now is: Keeping all that in mind, what can we expect in the future.
I need someone from the Vdj Corporate Representative team, please to clarify what is legal and what is not.
so we will know then what is fair to ask, and what is not.
Using for example final scratch records with no special hardware is the best solution
(from the users view) but is this legal and possible for Atomix to do it ?
Or is some kind of license needed from stanton for this ?
But then, there is the example of Djdecks.

Note that i don't want to in anyway "promote" any of the other software i mention here.
The reason for asking from atomix is that i prefer Vdj over than the other solutions.
Just need to know, to do my plans.

As you can see my questions are not really for other users, but for Atomix Corporate Representative Team,
because only they know the answers... i hope...

Thank you very much, and sorry for my bad english.

George V, Dj/Remixer
(Dj console user for now)

Posted Wed 16 Jun 04 @ 6:41 pm
Good post George.

Posted Thu 17 Jun 04 @ 2:53 am
Thanks for your comment digijoc-Mele.

I just hope that they didn't misunderstand my post.
I dont expect from vdj team to tell us their plans.
I know this is impossible. Just to clarify some questions
i have.

Just wanted to say that.

Posted Mon 21 Jun 04 @ 11:17 pm
ProtoPRO InfinityMember since 2003
It would be great if VDJ could use the Final Scratch hardware and/or time coded records. Yet I cannot understand that price is an issue. If you want such a controller surely you want to be a professional. In that case the price tag shouldnt be a problem.

Proto

Posted Mon 21 Jun 04 @ 11:31 pm
good point proto i think alot of the useres would be interested in that

and i think alot of ppl would buy vdj if that was possible
i cant imagine what it would be like to tell u the truth

i love mixing vinyl but i hate carrying crates of records and searching for that record every time

lets keep our fingers crossed
u never know

dj smokey

Posted Tue 22 Jun 04 @ 2:31 am
Apopsis,
you are talking about the price, but in my opinion D-Vinyl is quite cheap. I ordered the package for €500 in Germany including taxes. 2 XP 10's will be more expensive. The same could be said about finalscratch and you don't have the ability to DJ without turntables! 2 Pioneer CDJ1000's will cost you over €2000....

Mixvibes DVS is much cheaper on first hand, while you only pay for the software and the records. Keep in mind that you should get a proper soundcard (with at least 4 inputs and 4 outputs) which is also expensive. A normal soundblaster card will not do the job. If you like to use it with a controller you get a couple of boxes, with lots of cables and power supplies. D-Vinyl is all in one.

I also have the Hercules DJ console more than €200 for a plastic box with terrible buttons and cheap and crappy jogs (not even mention the Hercules support..). That is what I call expensive.

I know €600 (VDJ+D-Vinyl) is a lot of money, but when you get a good DJ solution it is worth every cent.

Ewout

Posted Tue 22 Jun 04 @ 7:12 pm
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Good arguments.

--==--==--==--==--

@ Proto

If i'm not mistaken, you are using the D-Vinyl + VDJ with turntables... Could you make a review and a comparison between using regular vinyls and D-Vinyl + VDJ combo (about latency, feel, etc.)? I'm really interested in this thing (though I still think it's a bit pricy - for me) but, who knows, I might buy it (if there will be no other option presented in near future, and depending on some user info).

Thanks in advance (would help me very much).

erXon

--==--==--==--==--

P.S.: Sorry, it's a bit off topic, but I didn't want to open a new one just for an answer...

Posted Tue 22 Jun 04 @ 8:27 pm
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Proto

Ok, sorry, have just read the FS/DVinyl comparison topic :)
Nice review :P

Posted Tue 22 Jun 04 @ 8:42 pm
Superstom, thanks.
500 euro is a good price, i think it is more expensive
(something like 750 here in Greece), but let me ask again the dealer. (it was not available in stock he said me)
Is the d-vinyl contoller so good, (build, quality)
How are the buttons / jogs ?

George.

Posted Wed 23 Jun 04 @ 12:53 am
spindemPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I have a pair of vestax decks (still boxed) and a pair of 1210MKII's! Id love to control VDJ with my decks. Plus it looks a lot better at parties when you are acually using decks!!!! :)

Also looked at the mixvibes option! WOW! Just 2 MV special records required and that's it. I prefer VDJ over all the software out there and I think this would be a great addition to the VDJ family.

Plus think of the potential of converting vinyl junkies to VDJ!?!? Double your sales overnight!

More information from d-vinyl users would be great!!!!

Mind you if the 6 month delay in the launch of the XP10 is anything to go by, we should see a vinyl version by q4 2010 :)

Posted Wed 23 Jun 04 @ 10:35 am
Ewout, i found d-vinyl from Germany (ridi) about 699 euro
plu shipping i thing, wich is far from 500.

Posted Wed 23 Jun 04 @ 8:45 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I don't think it looks better at a party if your using decks for many reasons, for example if I see decks I consider it old skool now, I'm much more impressed with the latest cd/mp3 players by pioneer and the likes, a laptop with a few fine controllers and other hardware looks the dogs bollocks to me,

everything is digital now and i would be sorry if I had a big vinyle collection now because they don't match up to digital quality, take up alot of space ( for transportation), and would take a long time to rip to your pc or cd's,

Just my opinion but i'm into my technology and forward thinking, however vinyl is old skool and is a uniue way of mixing so should be respected as an art, but an art that is become more a thing of the past every year,

All the top dj's are using cd's/ mp3's and decks, alot of fancy stuff and they'reenjoying the new technology and love making loops on the flye, and most people agree that it doesn't matter how you cook it, but rather the taste and whether it's to the consumers taste, bagpuss

Posted Wed 23 Jun 04 @ 9:03 pm
Apopsis,
I bought mine at Thomann:
http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/

I ordered it this week. They ship their products through whole europe. They ship the package from Germany to Holland for €8! (No I'm not a sales representative ;-) ).

I will post when I receive the package. For this moment I'm happy with the order: Proper website, neat confirmation mails and answers on questions I had. I will keep you informed.

After receiving I will test the unit and post the results here. I will compare it to normal vinyl mixing with my 1200s, mixing with my Denon double cd player, with the D-Vinyl in digital mode (controller only) and in Vinyl mode (with turntables or cd players attached using the timecode media)

Hope to get it soon.
Ewout

Posted Thu 24 Jun 04 @ 9:07 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)