Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Bloody Brilliant!!!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hey everyone...:o) I've not been posting for ages (there is a reason for this - i'll tell you in a minute) but I pop in to read the forums every day to see if I'm missing anything.

It seems to me that bundles of people seem to be having ALOT of problems. Which brings me to why I haven't posted for ages - I DON'T HAVE ANY PROBLEMS!

Ok, here's the deal. I wanted to come in and be a bit more 'refreshing' other than people complaining all the time. I have had problems in the past but now they are all gone and my whole system runs like a dream. Don't get me wrong, I don't use TT's, XP10's or any other associated hardware, because I DON'T NEED TO. I'm simply using keyboard, mouse and Numark mixer. I just don't think it needs to be that complicated. Here's my setup:

Home PC - used for ripping cd's and downloading purchased music (networked to my DJ machine)
Win XP Home
768 mb ram
VDJ 3.04
NVidia GeForce Graphics card 32mb ram
Celeron Processor 1.2ghz
1 * 20gb western digital - o/s, all progs, VDJ etc
1 * 80gb maxtor - all music

DJ Machine - music transferred from home pc via home network
AMD Sempron 2800
Win XP Pro SP1
1.5 gb PC2700 DDR RAM
NVidia GeForce AGP 5200 with 128mb ddr
1 * 40 gb maxtor diamond plus 8 (with OS on it)
1 * 160 gb samsung with 75gb for music, 50gb for karaoke, 35gb spare
Sony CDRW
Trust 5.1 Soundcard
Virtual DJ 3.02
25gb music collection
20gb karaoke collection
I also bought a new CPU fan and heatsink just to make sure and i also bought a chassis fan to make sure it all stays cool.

For DJ'ing (i do functions and occasionally pubs, haven't done any club work yet, and not looking to either) i generally use (this depends on the function itself, but this is just the general setup):

1000watt amp
2 x 300w speakers and 2 x 300w bass bins
DJ Machine
Gig Rig: Mixer, 15" flatscreen, lights etc
CD Player
Corded/Wireless Mics

Not alot you may say, but enough to do what i need it to do. Anyway, every single gig I do (and i do at least two 6/7 hour gigs every weekend) i use this setup. It works like a dream everytime (touch wood) and has to date not crashed out. I don't have any cracks/pops, i don't have any skips, i don't have any random effects playing, i don't have any songs swapping by themselves, i don't have any tracks that stop in the middle or towards the end of the track, i don't have any problems with BPM's or cues - I'm not saying that my bpms are always 100% perfectly correct, but i can deal with that myself. My tracks load up in about 3 seconds - 10 minute tracks in about 6 or 7 seconds - in any case, nice and quickly. Perfect and just what I want.

A couple of things I've learnt recently would be to always carry a backup, be it cd, ipod, laptop or whatever. I usually reset my system once or twice a night and switch to my cd back up for one track whilst doing so. The crowd have no idea that it's been done and probably would care too much if they did, as long as the music keeps playing. This is just to give VDJ a quick rest. Most times it doesn't even need it but i do it anyway, just to be sure. If you're doing function work, a buffet is the perfect time to reset your system. Always back up your database.xml in case of corruption. This happened to me a couple of weeks ago and luckily for me i had a backup saved in my O/S drive. Simple Copy and Paste back into the folder and hey presto, back in business. I also usually have task manager running in the background as well just to make sure i'm not putting too much pressure on my system.

My biggest challenge seems to be accurately reading the crowd and ensuring they have a great night!!!

The only thing I'm concerned about is that a couple of karaoke files I have stop in the middle of the track and the system crashes. I am not overly concerned about this because I don't do alot of karaoke work or in fact any at the moment. I imagine this problem will be down to my graphics card or just the song itself. In any case, i think i'm going to revert back to karaoke players and cd's for karaoke and just use VDJ solely for music anyway, so that should solve that problem. Although, it would be quite nice to hear if anyone had an opinion on why this may be happening???? Do you think it really is just my graphics card???

Since the day i found Virtual DJ, i have always said I loved it. To this day I still love it and even still use the original skin. I don't have the need to thousands of equipment, or bundles of samples or effects and what have you. I have the need for a reliable dj program that provides everything the up to date dj requires...and I believe Virtual DJ is just that.

Remember, you cannot measure a dj by how well he copes when his night is going brilliantly, you can only measure him by how well he copes when it's going terribly...

Just thought I'd share a few happy thoughts with you all. Peace VDJ'ers...:o)

Cheers...and keep spinning...:o)

P

Posted Mon 19 Jun 06 @ 12:58 pm
*Correction*

"The crowd have no idea that it's been done and probably would care too much..."

Should read:

"The crowd have no idea that it's been done and probably would NOT care too much..."

D'oh!!!

:o|

Posted Mon 19 Jun 06 @ 1:17 pm
cuttaHome userMember since 2006
mine is flawless too, fyi - for files that end too soon, i found if i rencode the file it fixes the problem, maybe if the encoding rate is screwed up, the system gets screwed up as to track length.

Posted Mon 19 Jun 06 @ 5:08 pm
bogartPRO InfinityMember since 2004
My system is also running flawlessly. I will admit I had many problems in the begining. But once everything was corrected, No problrms.
Just recently put together another system (with much help from Cyder) and so far it has been running without problems. Last weekend I did an outside gig, music started at 1:15 last song was at about 10:05 or 10:20 PM. Not evern a belch.

Posted Mon 19 Jun 06 @ 7:41 pm
I'm glad to hear that VDJ is such a stabile program... ;)

Posted Mon 19 Jun 06 @ 8:29 pm
My system is very stable as well
no volume concerns, no skips, no take offs, no crashes.

havn't touched a cd except to ripp it during playback of another track in 7 months.
I have ripped cd's during the night without a crash at my nightclub.(with a full house)

virtual dj is a great program and now that they have annouced support for the hardware available in my area of Canada I'm a satisfiyed customer once more.

BTW:

When's v4 due for release?

Posted Thu 22 Jun 06 @ 5:08 am
Hello there..
Even i havent been posting for ages (until recently regarding when the next update would be here..)
But to come to think of it.. i really dont seem to be in desperate need of an update at all!
My System runs super smooth, VDJ never gave up on me. I use DAC3 and Numark CM200 USB mixer.
No probs at all!
So all u people having minor issues...please dont think that its the program..its either the hardware or Your operating system thats causing that issue and can be fixed quite easily.
Keep up the excellent software VDJ team!
ps:
My system specs:
AMD 3200+ 64bit
1 gig ram
2*SATA 80gb + 1*ATA 80gb (+160GB USB HDD soon)
nVidia 6600GT 128mb DDR3
Soundblaster 24 bit 7.1 sound card
but i use the Numark CM200's built in 24bit cards for gigs
all this rackmounted..
pics will be posted on my blog soon

Posted Thu 22 Jun 06 @ 5:54 am
I'm fairly new to vdj ( about 5 months with the pro version ) and had a lot of problems mainly because
I didn't know how to set up my system, and also many problems with the hercules mk2. I recently started using a maya 44 usb sound card, and thanks to the help from dj cyder, my system is running smooth, and I have only 512 of ram on my lap top. I use to use cds and records only on my gigs. Now mainly use VDJ. With my TCV set up. I love it!!! and would not use anything else, simply because it's a very complete and stable program, but most important, the tech support is really great!

Posted Thu 22 Jun 06 @ 9:29 am
It's fabulous. Perhaps the most mint program I've ever used...:o0

P

Posted Sat 24 Jun 06 @ 1:19 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)