Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: First VDJ-gig and experiences...

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

frodehPRO InfinityMember since 2005
So, I did my first gig with VDJ this night and I'd like to share some of my experiences. I'm sure they are pretty much the same as everyone else, but if you're new to the game they might be helpful.

First, the club I played has people from 18 to 25-ish. The people there are pretty much into hitlist music, so that means very little house/trance/drum'n'bass, which are my favourite genres. I still managed to launch a song or two without getting the angry mob going for me...

Anyway, some notes on backup... Yup, it's a classic. If something breaks, be it hardware or cds/vinyls, and you don't have backup you're pretty much f*ed. My computer couldn't take the heat when I was nearing 1 hour left, and it pretty much crashed for good, it just wouldn't boot up. So I had a couple of CDs and played off my iPod for the remaining hour, and even though I was sweating like hell it went OK considering.

Also, the status of the files (i.e. played leaves a mark on the song) had me fooled a couple of times. When I was cueing up a song and suddenly decided to switch to another one I forgot to unmark the status of the first song. This piled it with the rest of my played songs, and thus I forgot all about it.

All went well except my little problem with my computer, and luckily I don't have to blame VDJ for this :)

I've read loads of experiences from different users on the forum, but if you still haven't shared, please do! :)

Posted Sun 18 Jun 06 @ 4:00 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Always interesting to hear other peoples experiences :), I guess you was using a laptop?, and I guess further your laptop is older than 6 months?

Posted Sun 18 Jun 06 @ 4:12 am
Good thing you had a backup, very sensible decision. If you're using a laptop, it may be worth investing in some cooling.

Posted Sun 18 Jun 06 @ 4:37 am
frodehPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Yes, I was using a laptop, and yes it is about a year old. I don't know why you ask this, but I guess it has something to do with the cooling on new laptops. I'll def. check out that cooling-option Andrew posted.

Posted Sun 18 Jun 06 @ 2:53 pm
What do you mean six months?

Posted Sun 18 Jun 06 @ 2:58 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)