Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Defragmenting External HardDrive with Napster Files (FYI)

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

edsalPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Hey Guys,
Just thought i'd let you guys know about something that happened to me just this week. I decided to defrag my hard drive on Wednesday night prior to my Thursday night gig. I keep a lot of leased Napster files on that harddrive. Well, I learned a lesson, if you have Napster files, make sure you log on to Napster and update the licenses after the defrag. Apparantly, if you do not, first the Napster songs won't play and VDJ WILL crash---it did on me during my gig. Not only did VDJ crash, my backpup PCDJFX would not play any songs either. I thought it was pretty wierd it would do that. Anyhow, once I logged onto Napster, it updated the database and all is well now. This is one lesson I will never forget!!!

Another observation about Napster files is that once they load up into a player, the processor usage remains at 100 percent anywhere from 4 to 6 seconds. This causes "things" to happen, like the time on the DAC will freeze up for a few seconds, the computer grid screen will stutter. Everything plays normal, though, once the processor usage drops back down to normal, everything seems to catch up right on time. Don't know if this is normal, has anyone else noticed this or is it just me???

Anyhow, hope this defrag thing helps someone out!!

ED

Posted Sat 10 Jun 06 @ 5:08 am
this is why I'd never use a leased file... get your mp-3 files from all of mp3.com or some other out of the country service like that where they're legal, but no DRM. better yet, subscribe to prime cuts, and get your new music every week.. leased files are bogus... at the very least I'd convert the leased files to mp3 using any one of the multitude of DRM defeating programs out there...

just wait.... how happy you'll be when we get some crusty congressman who pushes a bill from the music lobbyists through. then napster has to once again stop distribution and recall all licenses... all of that money you spent goes Poof!!!!!

For a working dj, leased files are a poor choice except in emergency situations.

-Steve

Posted Sat 10 Jun 06 @ 8:09 pm
edsalPRO InfinityMember since 2006
BAAHHHHHHH HUMMMBUUUUGGGGGG STEVE!!!!!

Posted Sun 11 Jun 06 @ 5:55 am
I don't use any leased music either. I have heard enough bad stories, and this just adds more fuel to the fire. I spend a lot of money, but I own all of my music. No difference from when I bought vinyl, except I don't have to go to the record store.

Posted Mon 12 Jun 06 @ 1:09 am
Why would anyone lease music? It doesn't save any money and can cause headaches because you have to transfer the licenses to other computers/hardrives if you have more than one. I agree that it is better to own your music outright or atleast get rid of the protection. I own all of my own CD's and store them as wav files on my hardrives. No licenses to worry about except for a couple of Sony CD's which were easy to defeat.

Posted Mon 12 Jun 06 @ 3:14 am
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
I do look forward to the day when wireless internet access is everywhere mainly because of the fact that I will have access to the leased music services. This is such a great way to almost guarantee that you can have any song needed. However, this would be for emergencies like a hard drive dying, or a song I just never thought to get, or never heard of. And this would be only a temporary solution to get me through a gig until I could properly remedy the situation (fix drive, buy music, etc.)

This defrag tip is valuable info for those who currently depend heavily on Napster though.

Posted Mon 12 Jun 06 @ 4:38 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)