Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: DAC-3 does not easily work with Traktor

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Many here will be aware of this, but I have posted so that those who don't can be in full possession of the facts.

Just wanted to let people here know that Visiosonic/pcdj have done it again, with a major marketing gaffe associated with the DAC-3.

They posted on the Traktor forum claiming that the DAC-3 worked 'out of the box' with Traktor. They were within their rights to say this because the DAC-3 will map using MIDI to use Traktor. But if you look at their forums it is apparent that it is not a simple task to get them working in anything like a dj friendly way. I have mapped it and it took me a good few hours to be anything like usable, particularly with the poor DAC-3 instructions.

Their support staff have compounded their reputation for poor customer service by arrogantly dismissing many of the complaints from people who have bought the DAC-3 and can't get it to work with Traktor. They say that there is no reason why they should support a competitors product. (Despite the fact that they include jpboggis's Virtual DJ midi mappings in their DAC-3 midi drivers download)

I'll give them 2 good reason to do this -

1. Profits. If you want to sell a lot of Dac-3s why not make them compatable with a number of software products. The margin on DAC-3s is sure to be substantial. (you could always give away a demo or limited version of pcdj with it to get more sales).

2 Customer care - It's only too easy for a company to upset it's customers who will then post on other forums, talk to other DJs and impact on sales. The bad publicity just isn't worth it.

A lesson for Visiosonic. Don't let your support personnel get involved in marketing because they will make a mess of it.

And a final reminder. The DAC-3 works fantastically well with VDJ so if you're interested go for it.

Asymptote

All views here are my own so are probably biased

Posted Thu 01 Jun 06 @ 3:15 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
One question.....
Why should Atomix care about what hardware does or doesn't work with Traktor or their reputation?

Visiosonic didn't gaff anybody, they made a controller for their software that also can work with VDJ.

Solution:
1) Sell them VDJ and it all goes away
2) Sell them on VDJ support and it kills that problem also.

Definately in the top 10 strangest thread catagory.

Posted Thu 01 Jun 06 @ 3:50 pm
I only put it on for information as I said.

To answer your question. Atomix should be interested in what other companies software and hardware does, because if they aren't they run the risk of not keeping or impriving their market share.

My message is that some people are looking on here trying to decide what to buy. If they make the right choice (VDJ) and avoid buying others which won't do what they want that's great.

People on here are often interested in other programs, as is evident from many posts.

But in fact I wholly agree with you. Let's get everybody to buy VDJ and not go off on expensive wild goose chases buying and trying other software. Strangely enough I think that why I posted in the first place.

Maybe it is strange to want to warn people, save them money and advocate that they buy VDJ.

Posted Thu 01 Jun 06 @ 4:55 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
asymptote wrote :

To answer your question. Atomix should be interested in what other companies software and hardware does, because if they aren't they run the risk of not keeping or impriving their market share.

The market share grows from word of mouth and sucessfull development, not making every conceivable controller work with the program.
Personally I think the BCD 2k is a half baked piece of crap, so should we support that also?

In this world there are leaders and there are followers.
We all know where the competition stands, they are getting their just due imo.

As far as Visio support and marketing........read the last sentence again.

Posted Thu 01 Jun 06 @ 5:15 pm
Quote:

The market share grows from word of mouth and sucessfull development, not making every conceivable controller work with the program. End Quote

My word of mouth will certainly support VDJ that's why I posted in the first place.

Your post might have some validity were it not for the point that VDJ gives good (and native) support to a number of controllers (not every conceivable one, granted, but bulk market ones like the DAC-3) presumably because it's an attribute that software buyers find attractive.

But if you find my post strange, relax, move on. Tomorrow will be another day. There's another strange post coming soon from someone else, unless I think of another one. ;)

Posted Thu 01 Jun 06 @ 5:33 pm
May have been better in Traktor forum, but hey, as you've said, something stranger is just around the corner. At least you admitted you were biased, but Stevie Wonder could see that. I try not to bad mouth anybody on other forums. There are horror stories everywhere, but that's the way it is. My dealings with Visiosonic, has been excellent. Their products worked fine for me. If their new product works better then VDJ, I will buy it. My dealings with VDJ has been excellent. There are people on here that think VDJ's customer support sucks, so go figure. As someone that is constantly on both sides of the fence, I can tell you, the customer IS NOT ALWAYS RIGHT. There I said it. I know because I can be an asshole customer sometimes. So, sometimes if you get bad customer service, maybe you deserved it. As for the DAC 3, if you bought it and it does not do what you want, it's your fault. Next time, you will do better research, and not believe everything the salesmen tells you. C'mon, that's his job to sell you something. I am responsible for my actions, and do not blame others for my mistakes, and there have been many. Who knows, maybe Traktor is coming out with their own controller, that's why they are not cooperating.

Posted Thu 01 Jun 06 @ 11:40 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
oooh angry topic

i hate traktor

its a some what naff so is visionic.

as they are so very noddy and lack the features that even atomix mp3 has
that opinon is definately biased:)
lol

and why do u need 3 programs , to do the work of one ie , Pcdj video , Pcdj dmx , pcdfx
its a nightmare , what if u want all these features at once :(

im a hardcore Vdj Fan ! :)

aslo i dont think its good to bait the support team :O
as they do such great work.

Posted Fri 02 Jun 06 @ 2:41 am
Can't speak for the others, but I am not angry. I try to keep it simple. I was a DJ before direct drive TTs. Before 12 inch vinyl, Numark, Cd\'s, mp3s, computers, and VDJ. My loyalty is to what ever works for me, period. I don\'t own stock in any of these companies. PCDJ FX worked great for me. I saw VDJ, and several other programs, at the AC convention. DJ Cyder showed me it could mix video and I was sold. It did not take long, but I did not want to rush into anything. I have been around, and have learned my lesson. I had questions and questions that popped up later. Cyder answered those questions, and gave me his number to call, if I had problems. I gave him my money. I use VDJ everyday, and have no problem, recommending it to others. It has some issues, but none of them are show stoppers. What software does not have issues? The updates have been timely and I await the next one, because the software, support, and the forum have worked for me. If something comes out that works better for me, I will buy it, and never say a bad word about VDJ. That\'s just the kind of guy I am.

Posted Fri 02 Jun 06 @ 8:48 am
Sorry Guys, I really didn't want to wind people up. Didn't think I would offend anyone by posting in this general forum, except perhaps Visiosonic support.

I'm not going to say anything else in case it makes people angry. :-( Don't want that.

I was only trying to give information to help people to make informed buying decisions and make the right choice which is VDJ.

Posted Fri 02 Jun 06 @ 10:59 am
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
i think the bottom line here is "not everything will work for everyone."

Posted Fri 02 Jun 06 @ 4:03 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)