Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Recording mixes with external mixer - best method ?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I'd like to record my mixes "downstream" of my external mixer -- I can use my Ecler Nuo4's MIDI to control the faders/equalizers in VDJ, but I've heard that the hardware faders/equalizers sound better than VDJ's software emulation. Does anyone agree/disagree with this?

If I do use my mixer in analog mode, and record the final mix after it's been run through the mixer, there are 2 choices: record using my MP3 player (iRiver iHP-120), or run an analog signal back to a sound card. If I run it back to a sound card, I could use the same sound card that VDJ is running out of, or I could have it come back to the motherboard's built-in sound card. Which would be better, or does it matter? I could imagine my motherboard's sound card wouldn't be as good quality, but then again, putting more data through the PCI sound card could compromise quality as well. I don't know what variables affect recording quality. Also, any recommendations on software to use to capture the incoming signal for recording? Thanks!

Posted Mon 08 May 06 @ 9:40 pm
You can use Audacity to record the incoming signal, it's freeware and works well. You'll be best off recording to your PC and then converting to MP3 rather than record directly to your MP3 player although I'm not sure about recording using PCI or your motherboard. You can always record a quick one minute sample and see which gives you the most satisfactory quality although I would probably just use my motherboard to record.

Posted Mon 08 May 06 @ 10:10 pm
JeremKPRO InfinityStaffMember since 2004
No need to use Audacity to record the mix, this can be done with VDJ.

I think the best quality would be with the PCI soundcard. Regarding the quality of the input with more data going through the soundcard, i don't think there will be any problem, some graphic cards are on PCI and there is alot more data going through!

To record with VDJ select the correct input to record.

Posted Mon 08 May 06 @ 11:15 pm
Oh didn't notice I could change the input for recording... So just feed the output from the mixer back into the line in on the sound card, and set it to record from "LINE IN"? So easy, thanks JeremK!!

Posted Tue 09 May 06 @ 1:07 am
I forgot completely about recording from VDJ, you can record from any soundcard and input too. I was looking at Ion's new turntable the iTTUSB which comes with Audacity when I posted.. some gimicky beltdrive table with usb out. Anyway good luck with the recordings, maybe you can upload something for us to listen to :-)

Posted Tue 09 May 06 @ 1:10 am
Haha definitely, how do I send a mix to you guys to listen to? How do you get a slot on VDJ radio?

Posted Tue 09 May 06 @ 5:23 am
TAKEDAHome userMember since 2005
-Install de RCA wires in "REC o DECK" output of your Mixer TO "line-IN" of your Sound Card.
-Set all your channels (PFL) and VDJ Gain (in the mixer) to 0 db.
-Open any audio editor software (Sound forge 6 to UP) press REC and monitoting your input signal.
-Set your Sound Card to Line-In REC.
-Set the Line-IN-REC (Rec-Volume not Play-volume) volume to 1/2 and Check the peak meter of the Audio editor, Up the volume-in slowly until obtaining 0 db in the peak Meter.
-Now, in your VDJ record config, sellec LINE-IN, sellect the Sound Card (for Records) and signal input (Line-In).
-Now VDJ is ready for record correctly from external analog Hardware.

Sorry for my bad english.
I from Chile (EspaƱol).

Bye, Saludos.

Posted Tue 09 May 06 @ 10:33 pm
Takeda: Thanks for the tips on refining the recording volumes... I don't have any audio editing software at the moment, although I've heard Sound Forge is one of the best. Do you know if the cheap version, "Sound Forge Audio Studio" has enough features in it to do this sort of thing?

Posted Tue 09 May 06 @ 11:56 pm
As JeremK stated earlier VirtualDJ will record for you from any input source. If you need to edit the audio file Audacity is free and rather useful. A better software would be Adobe Audition although it isn't free but it's easier to use than Sound Forge.

Posted Wed 10 May 06 @ 12:02 am
Do you have a bitcomet or bitorrent sofware?

Posted Wed 10 May 06 @ 12:10 am
i'm uploading the sound forge 6.
Wait some minutes.

adobe audition is a long file.

Contact me in my web.

For more help.
www.djtakeda.unlugar.com

Posted Wed 10 May 06 @ 12:19 am
Andrew87: Sure I can record in VDJ, but Takeda seems to be saying the volume of the LINE IN should be set so gain is 0 dB -- does that really matter? I don't know... But a program like Sound Forge can monitor levels, so could work for that... I'll try Audacity though, since it's free... Most likely this doesn't really matter all that much though...

Takeda: Thanks for the help, but I'll buy the software if I decide to use it!

Posted Wed 10 May 06 @ 12:45 am

Posted Wed 10 May 06 @ 1:24 am
Takeda, thanks so much for all your help!

I'm having a problem though... I plugged in from "REC" on my mixer to the LINE IN on my sound card, but for some reason this is resulting in a lot of feedback and distorting the sound coming out of the sound card. Any idea why this would be? I'll try playing around with a few things, maybe sending the line back into the motherboard's sound card for now, but would be nice to solve this problem...

Posted Wed 10 May 06 @ 3:12 am
You need to adjust the recording properties and lower the line in volume. You should also mute the line in playback.

Posted Wed 10 May 06 @ 3:27 am
Gotcha, didn't realize I had to mute the playback, that fixed the feedback problem, thanks! I tried monitoring levels with both Sound Forge and Audacity, but no matter how I set the LINE IN volume it looks exactly the same... Probably okay, I'll see how a recording comes out and adjust as necessary. What other recording properties can be adjusted?

Posted Wed 10 May 06 @ 3:32 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)