Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Stop using your home pc's for gigs

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
I hate seeing all the problems everyone claims to have with VDJ to this date i had never had a problem. Everyone has to understand you can't use the PC that you use at home with all the programs and a mess of god knows what to DJ with. Everyone has to understand if you want this program to run perfect you have to dedicate a Pc for just Dj use. That means no online and no programs that arent related to Dj'ing also Optimize it for performance and not to look "pretty". I've had probably one of the slowest Pc's of anyone here and I was always able to mix video's and karaoke and do just about anything else without so much as one hick-up. The only time my Pc ever gave me a problem was when i jolted the video card loose. However according to most users there incredably strong systems are worthless while mine's is going on 1,000 gigs without a VDJ problem (thank god i tested 3.3 on my home PC before updating my Dj Pc.
So in short everyone can say what they want about VDJ but don't blame the program if your using the PC you use everyday for everything, to go make money with.
by the way the specs for my old Dj Pc is

AMD Athlon XP2400, 512mb pc2100 Ati 9200se (pci) Jetaway v2dmp motherboard 2x320gb Western Digital ide Hard Drives

Friday it will reach 1000 gigs keep in mind Im a Pro Dj so i do everything not only clubs but all sorts of events and company party's including Senior Center's at day time for karaoke and just to give them a good time, when it get's to 1000 I'll Finally retire it :( but it will remain around as my backup

Posted Mon 01 May 06 @ 2:45 am
Well,i use the same laptop to mix with VDJ and to have my usual stuff,and the only problem that i had till today was lacks of memory,probably because caused by mcafee antivirus(mcshield) or soundcard software,i still couldn't find the problem,one day runs 100% well,others has lacks of memory but i'm really satisfied with the program,we certainly hope more improvements.........well,here are my specs:

ASUS M6Va Centrino 2.0Ghz Sonoma
1024 DDR2 Ram
Ati Radeon x700 128mb
100GB HDD
Realtek AC97 Soundcard (internal)
Creative Soundblaster Mp3+ USB (External)

Posted Mon 01 May 06 @ 3:01 am
if you don't use the laptop to go online why have the anti-virus? just network it to your desktop Pc and let it have the ani-virus program

Posted Mon 01 May 06 @ 3:50 am
I have a dedicated rackmount that I use. Like yourself, I have had no issues. The only difference is that I do use it to access the internet. When I am at a gig and I need a certain song that I don't have, I will download it. I also have mcafee and spybot protecting my computer.

Posted Mon 01 May 06 @ 4:47 am
well, you must understand that someone may not have enough money for 2 PC's. Yea it is great idea to have 2 fully customized PC's one for home, second for DJ-ing. Hey, why not add 2 TTx's or denon 3500 so use TCV or TCCD. Maybe some Pioneer 909 mixer or some 19" rackmount mixer with DAC3, XP-10 or hercules controlers with fancy TFT 19" 1 terabyte hdd's with 300.000 mp3 songs and other fancy things.

you must realise that not everybody is rich, not everybody have conditions and situations to buy 2 PC's...

Posted Mon 01 May 06 @ 5:43 am
I am using dual installation of windows XP,
one of them is VDJ dedicated, other for work.

WHen the PC boots up I just chooose which windows I wanna start up.

You don't need 2 pc's and also you can do antivirus test of the vdj installation/harddisk from the
non-VDJ windows) ....

Posted Mon 01 May 06 @ 1:23 pm
Allthough PhillyDJ has a point, you are more likely to experience more trouble with your PC with more stuff installed on it (because the more programs installed, the more sources of erros), I think the main issue is that you know what you put on you harddrive and how it affects your system. As long as you know what your doing (more or less) things should be OK.

One thing that certainly can cause trouble is small "smart solution" programs running in the background (windows tray), such as easy-burn soulutions, certain anti-virus solutions, screenshot-utilities, p2p-progs, adware, chat-progs, mediaplayer-trays etc.

I've alwas used my PC(s) with a lot of other applications as I work in film/video editing/motion graphics, but the only trouble I've experienced has been hardware related. I've been using VDJ for nearly two years, and I've only experienced one freeze, and that was version 1.08 (scanning DB whilest playing).

Some good advise is to make fresh installs of windows (and other software of course, including new drivers) every now and then (two times a year for instance), keep your harddrive(s) defragmented, and avoid processes running in the background. Don't install stuff that you are not 100% comfortable with.

Posted Mon 01 May 06 @ 1:32 pm
Perfect advice.. and to add to that, if you do have a slower system or experience skips, turn off background apps when using VDJ, most importantly

- MSN
- AntiVirus
- P2P

These programs are either very memory hungry (msn), or have might have shared folders with VDJ (p2p), or interfare with mp3 scanning (anti virus).

You can use your pc for other apps than VDJ, of course... just make sure its cleen (spyware/adware), defragmented (harddrive), and stop un-needed background tasks if you experience skips or need more memory/resources for VDJ (the famous ctr+alt+del, sort by your Windows account name, and terminate all un-needed running tasks - ONLY the tasks running from your account name, and NOT the system tasks)

Aaiiiiiitt... ;) Happy mixing

Posted Mon 01 May 06 @ 2:18 pm
@lopez that's a pretty good idea a dual boot with 2 windows xp.. at least i see everyone here is smart enough to realise that most issues involving VDJ can be caused by other memory hungry apps.
now about the money thing. making a pc doesn't cost you as much as you might think u can get cpu / motherboard combo for under 300 or u can Ebay everything and have a nice Dependable Dj pc built for under 600 if that seems like alot just save money out of every Gig you do till u have as much as u need. true not everyone has money to built another right away , but it seems like alot of people arent even trying to save for it. keep in mind for any Pro Dj using this program the last thing you want is a crash at a big job.

Posted Mon 01 May 06 @ 4:53 pm
AbraxasHome userMember since 2006
Ive been dual booting for quite awhile using these methods. I Have a partition dedicated to audio, where I have Cubase and all my VSTi's installed (which is far much more memory and cpu dependent). here is a list of tweaks that will further improve performance.

1. Turn off all windows effects - Control Panel/System/Advanced/Performance/Visual Effects

2. Switch visual mode to windows classic. Deskop Properties/Appearance

3. Disable windows background. I asume you know how to do this.. haha

3. Optimize for background services. Contrary to what you might think, this greatly improves audio performance. Control Panel/System/Advanced/Performance/Advanced/Processor Scheduling

4. Adjust your paging file to twice your system RAM. Control Panel/System/Advanced/Performance/Advanced/Virtual Memory

5. Disable Maping in your sound card properties. Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager. Drop down the "Sound, Video and Game controls" menu and select you sound card. Right click and select properties. Select the properties tab. Drop down the audio devices menu. Hit the check box "Do not map through device." Skip this if your using a DJC.

6. Remove all bloatware from your startup. Run/msconfig

7. Uninstall unused windows components.

Use Notepad to edit the sysoc.inf file in the Windows/Inf folder. Do a search and replace for the word "hide" (leave match case unticked), replacing hide with nothing. Save the file.

TIP : If you can't see the "inf" folder, then in explorer make sure you click the "Show Hidden Files and Folders" option. Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View.

Go back to "Add or Remove Programs in the Control Panel and select "Add/Remove Windows Components". Components that couldn't be seen before can now be viewed and removed. You will notice that Windows Messenger can now be removed, which can be a resource hog.

Reboot after removing components to take effect.

8. Most importantly, disable windows sounds. Control Panel/Sound and Audio devices/Properties/Sounds/Sound scheme = no sounds.

Theres a few others tweaks you can do, but this is a good start. Hope this helps.

Posted Thu 04 May 06 @ 8:17 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004

Posted Thu 04 May 06 @ 8:30 pm
oh.. I forgot to mention. Disable "Video Hardware Acceleration." Desktop/Properties/Settings/Advanced/Troubleshoot

Posted Thu 04 May 06 @ 8:36 pm
Something everyone might try ONLY if your extremley computer savy is a program called Software Virtualization Solution (SVS) made by a company called Altris. http://juice.altiris.com/ Just because applications are Windows 2k or XP compatiable that does not mean they won't be in conflict with each other from a registry perspective. What SVS does is it installs virtual layers on your PC, and when you install a application it installs it on the virtual layer, and the registry information is also installed on the virtual layer, there's no entries and actions to the main Operation system registry. So if you start out with a fresh clean install use SVS, your Operating system registry will say fresh. Also say you have other applications that might be in conflict with VDJ or anything else, what you can do is diable the layer that those applications are installed on, and renable them when needed. The news gets even better say VDJ or any other app get's corupt and you have to re-install. Instead of reinstalling you can click a button on the layer that VDJ was installed on and it will revert it back to it's original state, in a matter of seconds. And the best news of all is this program is FREE, for home use.

Posted Thu 04 May 06 @ 9:10 pm
I keep thinking of more tweaks.. sorry, dont mean to spam this thread.

1. Disable your screen saver.

2. Disable Fast User Switching. Start/Settings/Control Panel/User Accounts/Change the way users log on or off/Untick Use Fast User Switching

Posted Thu 04 May 06 @ 9:16 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
i concer , defrag often avoide tasking aplications , use run "msconfig" to disable non wanted start up items

make sure u shut down corectly each time to refresh your ram!

Posted Sun 07 May 06 @ 11:14 pm
I just bought a new laptop for Virtual DJ, and I wil purcase official version of virtual DJ (and TCV) on this site. I'm not a whizkid so maybe someone can help me...

I use it only for VDJ + Timecode, what is the best setup?

Inspiron 1300 Celeron M 370
1.5 Ghz, 1 MB L2 Cache
512 MB internal memory
40 GB hard drive
Windows XP Home (Dutch)

Videocards (although I'm not planning to mix with video's YET)
Intel GMA 900

Soundcards:
SigmaTel STAC9200, AC'97 (internal)
Hercules Muse USB
Hercules Muse USB (yes I got two :p)

I have Asio4all 2.7 but how should I configure it?

what is the best setup, what programs should I delete and what should be on it. I would like to have it pure and only for VDJ, to avoid crashes or skipping!

Posted Wed 10 May 06 @ 12:45 pm
sorry for the two messages, maybe a moderator can delete the first one?

Posted Wed 10 May 06 @ 12:46 pm

Posted Wed 10 May 06 @ 2:13 pm
Tnx alot :)

Posted Wed 10 May 06 @ 4:00 pm
you're welcome ;)

Posted Wed 10 May 06 @ 4:39 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)