Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: BPM in VDJ

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

funnyb0nzPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2006
I have used MixMeister BPM analyzer on my hard drive. However Virtual DJ doesn't read the tag info for the BPM. Is this going to be changed in 4? If so I can wait, if not do I need to let Virtual DJ scan the music? If so than what should I select, all music or techno (I think that was the other choice, its on my laptop). Also if vdj scan's does it put the info in the ID tags?? I would like to keep MixMeister BPM info in the tag because it is pretty accurate.

Posted Thu 20 Apr 06 @ 5:29 pm
you can import the Mixmeister info into the VDJ database.

Go look in effect plugin section for the Database updater;)

Posted Thu 20 Apr 06 @ 5:43 pm
where exactly do I find that ???

Posted Thu 20 Apr 06 @ 6:21 pm

Posted Thu 20 Apr 06 @ 6:39 pm
funnyb0nzPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2006
thanks DJ-in -norway

Posted Thu 20 Apr 06 @ 9:02 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
QUALITY! i didnt know this was possible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted Fri 21 Apr 06 @ 1:18 am
@funnyb0nz

Please remember that you still have to analyse your music in Virtual DJ (its for gain info, song grahics and bpm). And the Mixmeister updater, only updates files that are already scanned in VDJ

The VDJ algorithm is most often as exact as Mixmeister...
First try "all music" algorithm for your music.
Then choose "techno" for the few that VDJ do not get right.
Result (at least for my 20.000 song collection) is almost 95% correct (having used both algorithms)

Mixmeister also get a few BPM wrong.

Anyway, you could as a final thing, move the few songs that are not correct by any of the two VDJ algorithms, to a dedicated folder (lets say you call the folder "Wrong BPM").
Then analyze those few with Mixmeister (full version, or the FREE bpm tool).
And use the VDJ database updater to update those few songs with Mixmeister BPMs

At least its what I do ;)

Posted Fri 21 Apr 06 @ 1:28 am
Man-TkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
it takes only a few minutes if you have 80.000 songs !!!
Come on !!!

Posted Fri 21 Apr 06 @ 5:07 pm
Man-TkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
we need only one bpm engine ...good or bad ..BUT ONLY ONE PLEASE !!! - or read tags from bpmstudio or pcdj -

Posted Fri 21 Apr 06 @ 5:11 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Having used Mixmeister and VDJ's BPM detection quite extensively I can say that 90% of the time they are both correct, but if one is wrong the chances are the other will get it right (both Mixmeister and VDJ get a few wrong at equal numbers I'd say).

It's good to have different BPM detection softwares if you care about having accurate figures, there is no ultimate detection software, some are better than others sure, but ALL OF THEM get a few wrong :).

Posted Fri 21 Apr 06 @ 5:57 pm
Dj-LosPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Hi,

If VDJ read idv2 tags, then there would be no need to analyze every song in your collection.
For the most part, when importing music you mostly care that artist, title, BPM, and length are visible.
You need the first 2 to search and BPM so you can match what may be playing. If it supported the full tag then when you first import all the data would be there. When you load the song it would get analyzed and all is good, meanwhile no need to spend days analyzing songs. All of my songs are fully tagged including BPM.

Agree with Bagpuss, no software is perfect, that is why God gave us feet to tap it out with for those 10% that may be incorrect. LOL Besides the ones that are incorrect in most cases are either obscure songs or they have beat transitions.

VDJ 4.0 hopefully will fix and use full support for idv2 and these types of issues would be nonexistent.

-Dj Los.

Posted Fri 21 Apr 06 @ 6:01 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
i find that VDJ usualy gets it rite but its just the phase that wrong. however the free mixmeister thing is more like 99% rite for the kind of music i use

Posted Fri 21 Apr 06 @ 8:18 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)