Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Recording Video

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

There's a program available called Fraps which captures the renders created by OpenGL/Direct X applications. This means that you can record Virtual DJ video with no additional hardware.

I briefly (and I really do mean briefly) tested this with Virtual DJ and it seems to work perfectly. Here is a working recording created on my PC:
http://s62.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=18JQSHHY9S8XY1H90UXQ9HLAK3

My system specs are:
AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton (overclocked to 3200+ @ 2.2Ghz)
512 DDR Ram - running with fairly tight timings
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb (old card but 256bit bus)

I only captured the video at a low resolution (320x240 I think) and then resampled it to 512x384 using external software but the result is quite acceptable. The audio shows signs of clipping, but that's because I had my wave output too high. I was also running multiple programs including a resource hungry bittorrent client and msn, so people with similar a spec should get better performance, although Fraps never dropped any captured frames anyway.

Anyway, if you're desperate to record video, Fraps is the program to use although I don't know how well it will run on all PC's. I would test it thoroughly on your own PC before ever using it in a live situation.

The downside is an 80 minute mix would consume close to 13GB, you can also recompress it after.

P.S. I don't have any music videos so The Simpsons will have to suffice :)

Posted Thu 20 Apr 06 @ 1:54 am
It's FREEWARE software?

Where can we download the soft?

Posted Thu 20 Apr 06 @ 9:00 am
The freeware version only records for 30 seconds and leaves a watermark on the video. To register costs $37 which in my opinion is expensive for its functionality.

For more info: http://www.fraps.com

Posted Thu 20 Apr 06 @ 9:16 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005

Well it's an option, but I better still use my capture video card and record it in MPEG-2 or any other format I want... an a VideoCapture Device cost as low as $40 usd. Mine came with InterVideo WinDVR :-)

Good Luck!

Posted Thu 20 Apr 06 @ 6:27 pm
What sort of computer setup do you have? I also have a capture card capable of recording mpeg2 (same software too but msi branded - tv @nywhere master) but only having 512mb of ram can really lag other programs if I capture.

Posted Thu 20 Apr 06 @ 6:35 pm
when i try to record with fraps it doesnt save in my folder Why

Posted Fri 21 Apr 06 @ 6:57 am
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
i tried it also and it doesn't work for me either

Posted Fri 21 Apr 06 @ 8:08 pm
You have to tell it to record, leave fraps minimized to your taskbar and use the hotkey (F9) to start/stop recording. Load fraps before you load Virtual DJ.

The default record location is wherever you installed the program to.

Posted Fri 21 Apr 06 @ 8:23 pm
and how can you change resolution of video? can you choose the format or codec you want to use for?

Posted Fri 21 Apr 06 @ 9:21 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)