Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Virtual DJ - Memory Hungry! - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I was using the Dj Console version of VDJ yesterday and happened to check my Processes in the Task Manager, Virtual DJ.exe had a massive memory usage of 258mb!!

Does anyone know if the VDJ process is caching the audio files?

This is a massive peformace drain on the system, why does it need to be so big??

I'm running XP Pro SP1, even with all my Anti Virus and firewall apps running. The total memory being used (without VDJ) is only 120mb.

How can VDJ need over double what the Operating System and various standard startup apps use??

Posted Fri 04 Jun 04 @ 6:24 pm
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
VDJ does load the audio files to memory each time its dropped in a deck. But wipes it as soon as another is dropped in. So it depends on how big of an audio file you had in at the time. Remember VDJ is also decompressing the file using lame to its original formatt of .wav

Posted Fri 04 Jun 04 @ 7:16 pm
Thanks for the info!

I only use mp3s (largest one is just over 70mb), i had drunk quite a few beers last night when i noticed it, i'll check again when sobar!!

Posted Fri 04 Jun 04 @ 7:28 pm
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
Ya so a 70 mb mp3 when uncompressed is very large.

Posted Fri 04 Jun 04 @ 9:53 pm
kaleoPRO InfinityMember since 2003
between 700 and 910 Mo !

Posted Sat 05 Jun 04 @ 8:38 am
If you work with very large MP3 files, you can always change "max load" in general settings.

If you turn it off, the large MP3 files are not loaded into memory, or you can select to load the first part of the file, and so on.

I tried that, when working with large mixes (120mb mp3 file) - and it worked alot better.

Strangely, I did not have any problems with large files in AtomixMP3, but I guess its built a different way, when it comes to memory usage.

But still, I stopped use large files, because whats the fun on having a finished track last for an hour..... (could be good if there is no people around at a start of a gig, but then again, you could just use Win media player for that)

if there are parts of that large file you like, you can use a wave program, and save that part to a mp3 file. Thats what I did.. I had a large Joey Negro mix (120 mb) - divided it down to 10 seperate songs.. And rather mix myself.

But anyway, play around with "MAX LOAD" to find a setting that helps you :)

Dj in norway

Posted Sat 05 Jun 04 @ 1:51 pm
djmechoHome userMember since 2004
A friend of mine is using VDJ and last night he put a recorded MP3 of over 90mbytes (70mins). While we were talking, around the 2nd minute, there was the first beat which was repeated 4 times before VDJ continued playing. Then at about 14th minute VDJ started looping and lost control over the Windows before it was killed with Task Manager.
I wonder if i still want to buy the new version 2.x or continue using the old one that came with Hercules Console although there is the same problem with large MP3s.

Posted Thu 05 Aug 04 @ 2:11 pm
ops. forgot to tell that the setup is 15min max load. so it reads the mp3 directly in real-time.

Posted Thu 05 Aug 04 @ 2:12 pm
Now we played with the problem cited up in the text. The problem with looping the sound and freezing the VDJ comes ONLY with an external USB Sound Blaster. It seems with the internal sound card there is no problem. Will be updating u!

Posted Thu 05 Aug 04 @ 5:21 pm
I all ways ask why vdj having problem playing big file I got BPM PRO and FX they play my mixs very good they always tell you use the mixload setting this never help I hope they fix this soon atomixmp3 does play big mix very good why vdj the pro version don't ?

Posted Thu 05 Aug 04 @ 5:59 pm
I think that VirtualDJ was and is developed for DJ's, by a staff of DJ's. I also think that as a general rule DJ's working in clubs, pubs, and bars as well as those working private events won't require the ability to load and play a single 60 minute file. Most working DJ's can't know in advance what songs they might use in a set on any given night. What happens when you click play on a 60 minute pre-mixed file and right away someone walks up and makes a request that is not in that set? Does that "customer" have to wait a full hour before you play the request? I think that customer will be in another club by then.
Virtualdj expands every track into your system memory. If that get's too full, it will use virtual memory. (do a complete defrag on your C drive often to keep it healthy) This is a very effecient method of playing MP3 files. The drawback here is that unless you have a fairly fast computer, with a lot of RAM, sometimes you might experience a bit of unexpected looping. (I think this happens when a song ends and is then extracted from your memory, or when the load process completes on the next file) These problems can be limited by increasing the ammount of RAM in your system. If you need to use very big files, you may need 1 gig OR MORE of system RAM. Also, if you are using very large files, you may need a much faster processor. This will speed up and smooth out the load process.
HOWEVER, probably for the average working DJ who is using more typical sized files. (3-10 minutes) a system slightly above the minimum recommended will perform just fine.

Posted Thu 05 Aug 04 @ 6:41 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
No, no, no... don't try to justify Vdj for this.
This is a serious and a known problem. It is time for Atomix to fix it, like any other bug.

There are many cases for a dj to use long mixed tracks.
1. So many good mixed cd's on the market.
2. Dj's own mixes.

What i like to do with these :
Use the cue points like track indexes.
(even if not to all tracks, to favorites only)
Back in pcdj red days, i used all the 20 cues this program has,
for this, - like a mixed cd on a cd player.

Please give Vdj an "Atomix mp3 behaviour" for big tracks, that are not loaded in memory--> No skiping when navigate....
even if this will affect slightly the latency (for big tracks)

(sorry for my bad english)
thanks.

Posted Fri 06 Aug 04 @ 12:07 am
not trying to "pick a fight" here.. lol

but as a working DJ I would never put on a cd that was an hour-long finished mix, or even my own recorded mixes in that lenght...

why would u? and if a club-owner saw u, u would be out of business.. he could just get 3-4 cd's and dont have a dj then..

the POINT in disk jokeying is to do exactly that, pull up many songs, and mix them live....

"There are many cases for a dj to use long mixed tracks..." - no, there are none, at least not for me...
would NEVER do that! why need a dj then??? really?????

:) sorry, disagree with u on that apopsis... :)

well, I can tell that u have got long some finished mixes by other djs, that u do want to play..
If you have some favorites in these long mixes, divide the mp3 into separate smaller mp3s, your favorite songs in the mix etc.. Because really, u do want to mix them yourself?

use cool edit or other wave program to devide the long mix! :)

and its not a bug, its a way that makes vdj run a lot better when playing mp3s, giving that u play songs, and not hour long mixes...
If you REALLY want to play those long finished mixes , turn OFF "max load" and VDJ will play long hour mixes just like atomixp3, loosing some of the advantages VDJ gives by loading song into memory..

:)

anyway.. happy mixing

Posted Fri 06 Aug 04 @ 1:23 am
djzeroPRO InfinityMember since 2003
or just get ALOT of ram, and youll be fine (1gb if you want to load one long mix at a time or 2 gb if you want to load 2)

Posted Fri 06 Aug 04 @ 7:42 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Dj in Norway... you have misunderstand my post..:)
1.I love Vdj like you,
2. I dj'ing for 22...years, (..believe it) and i never use mixed cd's in clubs, during my main set. (maybe early,or after)
But i also play in bars and mobile.
And many of my favotites cd's comes in mixed format.
The Buddha bar series, Hotel Costes series and many others.
In any case i dont want to "divide" them, i want to keep them
in their original format.
What you do when you have a mixed cd and a cd player ?
You can use "auto cue" and play individual tracks right ?
And you can mix the track by yourself, or use only a part.
So having Vdj playing long mixes is a bonus, don't ...fight me..
You may need it sometime too, if not you, maybe other users.
Djzero, adding more ram is not a solution, for 2 reasons.
1.There will always be a ...longer mix that can't fit to the memory.
2. There is no reason to load in memory long mixes at all..
Its not worth the wait, even if ram is available.

Remember, the only i asked is -NO skiping- when navigate a long track that is not loaded in memory. This is the case for any other dj program including Atomix mp3.

It is fair... i think. :)

Posted Fri 06 Aug 04 @ 10:40 am
well, yeah... those Buddha bar series are awesome...;)

Sorry, Apopsis, see your point more now...
Sure there are a whole lot of cd's that are long mixes of songs.. LUCKILY most of them have track index on cd (even if it IS a continous mix), like Masters At Work, Ministry of Sound and some other cd's that I have.. Even my Buddah cd's are like that (if I dont remember wrong)

They are really easy to rip into different songs (cuts) of that mixed cd... The rip software does that automatically.

Now, where I do see a problem, is when u have downloaded a whole mixed cd from the net, like this:
Ministry Of Sound - Ibiza Sessions 2004.mp3 (200mb)
- or have ripped it like that from a cd.

There are no track indexing in that loooooog mp3 file, and you want to play it ..... Hmmm... see your point.
I have downloaded a few long mixes myself (*blush*), but have devided them into smaller "songs" because I too have had your problem using them in their long original format.

Sure, it could be cool to make cues for every new "track" in that long mix, and play in like it was a original cd... true! I see your point.

If thats possible to "fix"/ improve, I'm with you..
Because u can not now, even if having a lot of ram! There will be skips when filling and emptying ram, when u try to move fast forward to a new cue in that long mix... I think.

Sorry Apopsis, see you truly ARE mixing, and not playing a whole cd (..lol..) - and get your point. As of now, I do it the "hard" way, divide that long mix into smaller parts...

Maybe there could be a long mix mode of play added to VDJ in later updates, a setting letting it play like u say, Atomixmp3 does etc

;)

Posted Fri 06 Aug 04 @ 3:13 pm
Even still, I can't agree. If you like to listen to those long cd's ripped into 70 minute sets, That's fine. But if I was a bar or club owner who hired you, or a private function customer and found you to be using full pre-recorded sets, especially sets that are not even your own, I'd find a new DJ quick.
Like I said before, VDJ is made by DJ's for DJ's. DJ's who work the room, DJ's who probably play somewhere between 75-100 files in a 4 hour shift. If there are other softwares which will play an hour long set without problems, use it. When you are ready to actually DJ, then launch VDJ.
I think a person who wants to play a 4 hour set using 4-5 pre recorded files whould have a difficult time finding work.
I'm not trying to start world war 3 here, I'm just expressing an opinion.
If you want to listen to long sets, just turn the Max load setting to none. It might then play them without hesitation or looping.

Posted Fri 06 Aug 04 @ 3:54 pm
3rd world war.. lol ;)

well.. marius... for sure, I would NOT play a whole mix cd at a gig, as I said, and you say, thats me getting out of business.. lol :) and what would be the fun in beeing a dj, when playing a whole mix? ...

so the feature asked for by Apopsis is for sure not needed by me! :) i divide any finished mixes, into separate songs.. and mix myself..

now, think thats kinda what Apopsis is doing as well, but wants to play PARTS of that long mp3 (like one song in the middle of the mix). What I do, is to devide all those songs/parts into different mp3's... and that works like a charm ;)

Apopsis dont wanna devide those long mp3 mixes.. so.. hmm..
turning off "max load" seems the way to go :)

Posted Fri 06 Aug 04 @ 4:59 pm
Friends,

you are not getting the problem!
VDJ seems to have a problem playing large MP3s!
Not only this, but it SKIPS and makes systems halt.
I have seen this at my friend's setup many times and he has a perfect machine P4-2.66GHz, 1GB RAM, SB Extigy etc.
And I can tell u when a DJ might need a long MP3 to be played:

1. At night beginning, when there are still no many people and the music is not loud
2. At night ending, when there are few people left and a mixed cd is perfect to let them drink their whiskeys and go home
3. When the DJ has to fix a problem with something (like other devices, cabling etc.)

Actually, there are many many reasons.
;-)

Posted Mon 16 Aug 04 @ 1:24 am
@mecho, as someone already suggested, for the examples you gave, use a light application like Winamp. If you want to use a section of a large file, turn it into an individual song with editing software and then place it back into your library.

Since 99% of DJs probably won't use the scenario you describe, it is probably not a good use of development time to engineer the capability.

Posted Mon 16 Aug 04 @ 1:36 pm
50%