Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Another Option Over Laptops

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003

Posted Tue 18 Apr 06 @ 8:30 pm
Nice one Rick. I'm using a shuttle SB83G5. I feel a little more on the safe side with my normal mixer and 2 cd players.
Ewout

Posted Tue 18 Apr 06 @ 9:50 pm
Thank you, I am very happy all the way around with this system.
I know we have some laptop users that struggle with video, hopefully this will give them some ideas if they don't wish to do a full blown rack system.

I have noticed this unit makes some serious heat.
The next phase is to add filtration on the two air inlets of the shuttle and a 65cfm fan to the side to pull the on the discharge side of the shuttle to get the hot air out of the box.

There are also tools on the site to monitor your system's heat and fan control in case you were unaware.
http://global.shuttle.com/XPCTools/overview.asp

Posted Tue 18 Apr 06 @ 11:11 pm
Thanks for the link I was not aware of these tools.

Mine is not that hot, while I have only 1 harddrive in (250G) and I only use the builtin video card (Not doing video with that system yet). Later this summer I will probably start with the video, while I would like to buy 2 proper beamers of at least 3500 lumens and an external mixer (edirol v4).
At that time I would like to get a new shuttle with the new pentium dualcore, 2 gig and a proper video card. The current one will be used for the lightshow.
Ewout

Posted Tue 18 Apr 06 @ 11:59 pm
I had a V4 and sold it with the video rig in my blog, I don't miss it honestly.
The only thing it could do that I can't do now is patch in a dance cam, but honestly I am way too busy mixing to be fiddling with that as a solo dj, oh and Chroma key.

As for projectors, I have 2, one 2000 lumen and one 3700.
If you are doing anything indoors with a 6X8 screen the 2k is fine honestly.
The only reason I got the 37k was because my summer shows start just before dusk and I now have a 9X12 that will need the light because of the distance behind the screen and the light loss.

I am amazed at how potent and fast this system is for its size and weight.
And with what is pre assembled, anybody can build this, its a very reputable company.

Posted Wed 19 Apr 06 @ 12:33 am
funnyb0nzPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2006
For those that are like me (I use laptop) but another solution is small form factor computers. I actually have one set up in my Truck. Got rid of radio system and have full blown computer system with XM radio, DVD player, GPS, Internet....etc I am going to be making these geared for mobile DJ's. If anyone is interested PM me. I hope to get some pics up soon. Actually cheaper than laptop as well.

Posted Wed 19 Apr 06 @ 2:06 am
I own 8 shuttles still... the problems I had with them is premature hard drive failure due to the heat in them.... if you're using them outside, or in areas that are not ventilated very well, you'll need additional cooling methods... there is zero airflow in those boxes... if you're jamming 3 hard drives into the box, expect one or two to go south soon...... Like I said, I was running all shuttles for the last 4 years, and switched over to laptops, because of the high rate of component failure I was experiencing... I literally lost 9 hard drives ...... call it coincidence, but all of the shuttles I use now only have a system drive and a cd rom, and i'm not losing cards, and drives anymore, because it's not reaching 300 degrees in the case anymore.... I would definitely go with externel drives, My experiences with the shuttles speak for themselves, and I'm not speaking from one problem, I have experience with eight units that saw nightly usage....

I love shuttles, but even shuttle recommends against loading more than two drives in them.... too much heat... procerssor starts to flake out, and hard drives croak...

just an FYI!

-Steve

Posted Wed 19 Apr 06 @ 4:54 pm
Steve,
I know you use them, did you ever user tools?
http://global.shuttle.com/XPCTools/overview.asp

I have just finished adding ventilation and a 64cfpm fan to this box.
We will be keeping an eye on things with the tools utility to see how warm things get.

I sure hope to avoid the kind of trouble you have had, its not a wide spread problem like it has been for you.
Googled Shuttle overheat and only had 4 hits, all remedied with fan speed control now offered in the tools prog, it is also controllable in the bios.

I have beat this senceless the past few days without the additional fans I just put in.
Should have some feedback after this weeked on realtime temps during gig.

Posted Wed 19 Apr 06 @ 5:56 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
depends on the shuttle model ricks shuttle is the larger case, and it has more internal fans then any other shuttle on the market currently. and uses side to side processor cooling, the design of this sytem is a vast imporvement over the older front to back shuttle designs.

Posted Wed 19 Apr 06 @ 6:12 pm
I have always been a DIY-er (do it yourself-er). I have been building PC's since '97. I actually prefer the Micro-ATX motherboards and compatible cases. I have three systems (small form factor) systems that I can COMPLETLY work on. The problem with Shuttle is that if ANYTHING goes out you have to replace the whole thing. The only thing you can take out are the CPU, memory, added Cards.
I like having the option of having a really good case that if anything were to happen I could gut it and get another case and only spend approx $75 - $125. Those Shuttle barebone system are like $300 and up for the good ones. I can replace and even upgrade the motherboard and such whenever I want and for cheaper.

My current case I am using is the ASPIRE X-QPACK. There is room for 4 hard drives and it has really really good ventalation were the system stays fairly cool and a 420 watt power supply to boot.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811144162

My next case will be the SilverStone SST-SG01

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811163050

It allows you to put ANY power supply you want and 3 hard drives. Sure you minus one hard drive but you can PUT anything in it. Plus if you are like me and actually carry these kind of cases seperatly, you can actually buy a bag the company made for this case.

I am not in the least knocking the shuttle cases. I love those systems. Just found a solution that worked for me anyways.

Posted Wed 19 Apr 06 @ 7:54 pm
@Rick, thanks for the info again. I used a hired projector with 2000 lumens, the picture was not that sharp, especially not when we used lots of light effects. I could be caused by an old lamp, but I rather got a projector (or two) with some more lumens.

@Steve, I'm using my shuttle for over a year now, and haven't had any problems. I have 1 internal harddrive and 1 external drive connected with firewire. I prefer that configuration, while the shuttle remains in the van normally. So I could copy new songs, create playlists etc on the external drive.
Ewout

Posted Wed 19 Apr 06 @ 8:22 pm
So here's the poop on the heat.
With the ambient temp in my studio at 68 degrees default Smart settings:
Cold start:
System 38C
Cpu 24C
Board 34C

10 min Idle:
System 48C
Cpu 35C
Board 40C

1/2 hour Auto play vob files:
System 54C
Cpu 44C
Board 46C

Continued Auto play with threshold @30C Fans @255 (full out)
System 48C
Cpu 35C
Board 40C

I think I can rest easy with these numbers, need to enable Smart in bios to monitor drives still.
I also removed the doors from where the floppy and dvd would be and can look through and see the exaust fans at the other end of the chassis. There is plenty of airflow by the drives in this chassis.
I have added 3" louvered grills on the side and rear with a brushless RS 3" fan at the exaust end so the box is breathing well.

Posted Thu 20 Apr 06 @ 1:29 am
That's cool... like I said, it's not the processor, it's premature hard drive failure....

they get hot stacked in so closely..... also, check the temp at a gig where you're out in the sun in ambient heat of 90 or so degrees..... you can fry an egg on your hard drives.

the computers are great, but like I said, shuttle says don't load it with three drives, I don't do it....

to each their own, I've just learned the hard way, and was trying to help out....

You know i'll be there for you to hold your tissue and dry your tears when your hard drives turn to a molten pile of alloy and platter rick!

:)

-Steve

Posted Wed 26 Apr 06 @ 5:15 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)