Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: What´s the BEST controller for Virtual DJ - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I´m looking into replacing my cd players with a laptop and a controller..what´s the best hardware controller for VDJ?

Is the Hercules MK2 good enough for proffesional use (sound quality)?

Thanks!:-)

Posted Tue 18 Apr 06 @ 12:42 pm
Oops i forgot, has anyone tried Virtual DJ and PCDJ "live"? Which one do you recomend..i need a honest answer;-)

Posted Tue 18 Apr 06 @ 12:44 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Try TCCDs with VirtualDJ if you have cd-players already. You won't be dissapointed ;)

Posted Tue 18 Apr 06 @ 12:51 pm
Hi Xeon, i know about this solution..but i´m trying to get a compact set up as possible, without the cd- players;-)

What kind of soundcard are you using with the TCCD´s?

Posted Tue 18 Apr 06 @ 1:17 pm
For if this helps:

I use the MK2 at home for mixint at Virtual DJ Radio, and it's good enough.

Some users says that has not enough quality for live mixes at clubs, but I haven't chequed it with a good club audio config (amp's, eq's, ...)

Posted Tue 18 Apr 06 @ 2:06 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
If you want an excellent rack mount controller, the DAC 2 or 3 is an option.
I have a lead on an available 2 still in the box if anyone is interested.

Posted Tue 18 Apr 06 @ 2:46 pm
@mp3jrick:

good photos on your blog!

Posted Tue 18 Apr 06 @ 3:57 pm
the hercules mk2 has excellent soundquality, and I use it live at clubs...

VDJ vs PCDJ for live use? well, thats easy to answer... VDJ of course ;) hehe

Other good options for controllers:
- Behringer BCD 2000
- XP10 (need two)
- DAC3 (a remote rackmount controller)

If you wanna go wild, and have lots of cash :
- Allen & Heath Xone3d

Some supported controllers for VDJ can be seen here:
http://www.virtualdj.com/products/hardware.html

What is the best? Well, guess thats all personal preferences...
Mobile light travel >> Hercules/Behringer/future Numark (maybe?)
Scratch DJing >>XP10
Mobile rackmount rigg >>Dac3

Or even replacing CD decks, with another cd deck that are also a controller :
-Numark iCDX CD

And there is always timecode, where you can use your excisting hardware as controller, but you already said that was out of the question :)

Posted Tue 18 Apr 06 @ 6:35 pm
The DAC-3 would have been the way to go if it had touch sensitive jog wheels.

OO

Posted Tue 18 Apr 06 @ 6:51 pm
ReTangoPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I have MK2 and are absolutely and completely satisfied - I love it!. I do not play at clubs, so could not answer about sound quality at a club setup. But it has definite pros: It is super compact, almost designed for VDJ, so they work perfectly together, and it just works right. To DJ you only need a laptop, the MK2 and a USB cable, nothing more... all you need to carry is a laptop bag, MK2 will surely fit there. I do note have a Behringer BCD-2000, but I have both the Beringher BCF and BCR-2000. They are awesome too, but are much bigger (wont fit in a standard laptop bag), and need external power supply.

Posted Tue 18 Apr 06 @ 8:46 pm
Man-TkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
xp10 ...No doubt ..excelent sound quality ...they are perfect -

Posted Wed 19 Apr 06 @ 1:34 am
I agree with Man-Tk 100%, Xp10 rules :)

Posted Wed 19 Apr 06 @ 2:52 pm
vpcdjHome userMember since 2004
how come the kontroller ( http://www.kontrol-dj.com/html_eng/main.htm ) doesnt get a mention...
has anyone tested this kontroller controller...
i know there's no way to test the kontroller in the US coz it has to be bought first.

should we jump to the conclusion that the kontroller is better than the xp-10 coz it gets some serious silent treatment in this forum and no negative comments?

Posted Wed 19 Apr 06 @ 5:04 pm
Slash4PRO InfinityMember since 2003
I see it is fully MIDI compatible. So *on the paper* it is fully compatible with VDJ.

Posted Wed 19 Apr 06 @ 5:08 pm
Okay,

So if someone was going to buy a controleller, in a straight opinion, which of these three would be the one and why. In terms of Bang for your buck and what it could do with Virtual Dj. Ease and professional use to mix and more...

Hercules MKII
Kontrol Dj
Behringer BCD

Please give a full description of each one, their merits and if you would buy one or recommend that product for both home and live use. Be as clear and precise as possible.

I think folks by accident in this forum dance around the products without giving an honest answer as to which is better, in their opinion and why.

Would love a clear answer so that I can decide which one I want to buy or not or hold out for Numark. LOL!

Gracias,
Batibiri

Posted Wed 19 Apr 06 @ 5:33 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
The problem is that most users only have limited exposure as they have only bought one or two.
Hard to get an unbiased report if you haven't owned each one and used it extencively.

For instance I have never run a Hercules, and dam few have run the bcd 2000 as it JUST came out.
Not many have run the Kontrol DJ either, so it's tough to really evaluate and compare.

So keep on dancin' around....

Posted Wed 19 Apr 06 @ 6:57 pm
hi guys and girls i have had my bcd2000 for two weeks and let me tell you honestly how it goes down.
1.the controller is nice the pitch faders have a smooth resistance the volume faders are as light as a feather and the pitch bend and fx and looping functions all work well (with the included software).
2. right thats the good points out of the way the downside is the hardware and midi seems like it was rushed by a five year old speak and spell user (let me explain) the midi for some reason has been doubled up so you can set a value for one controll and it opperates two (pain in the bum) it does not controll virtual dj fully in any way and unless behringer sort out a patch firmware update if the controller can be updated or writes a proper xml controll set then this device that behringer claims compliments any dj software that accepts midi is doomed as is the money that ive spent on it by the way the software that comes with it is compleate rubbish and is buggy to say the least.
after holding back the release of this i thort they might have sorted it out but oh no buget behringer does it again. (but if the funtionality with the midi can be sorted out in virtual dj or traktor if i must go down that route then i will take back all the bad points but as it stands dont buy until they sort it out you will just be dissapointed like me. i hope that answers some questions. bye

Posted Wed 19 Apr 06 @ 9:53 pm
thanx for the feedback on the behringer... I've heard some beta testers say the same.

Not sure if Vdj can help any faulty midi on the device, but Corporate Staff will give some feedback in a few days..

And who knows, there might be other controllers comming too, from other brands ;).. brand nu suff... ;) hehe

Posted Wed 19 Apr 06 @ 9:58 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
i was actualy quite intreged about the kontrol DJ thing so i went and asked some questions.
The wheels are not touch sensetive. The driver does not let you use hold (so you can use the wheel like a scratch). The technology used on the scratch wheel is a normal rotary encoder. (so a normal midi nob with a big circle stuck on top). and after all that its not even that cheap.

oh and theres no display, not many buttons, and it looks stupid.

lol i dont know why i hate this but it looks like i do : P

Posted Wed 19 Apr 06 @ 11:46 pm
The issue with doubled-up controls on the BCD2000 is probably caused by the fact that VDJ currently doesn't distinguish between notes (Buttons) and CC's (Knobs & sliders) - If two have the same number (Very likely), and a function is mapped to one in VDJ, the other will trigger it too.

I had the same problem when using MIDI with the DAC-3 (Prior to native support being added.) However, the DAC-3 MIDI driver allowed the MIDI commands for each button/slider/jogwheel to be customised, so I simply edited these so that every each had a unique number (Preventing the duplicate problem.)

MIDI jogwheels are also an issue - Most MIDI controllers usually implement these as a single CC that sends a value of 0 for movement in one direction and 127 in the other. VDJ does not understand this, so you will only be able to move in one direction. This can be got around if the controller allows MIDI to be customised (As per DAC-3) so that separate CC numbers can be used for left/right movements. The DAC-3 allowed this, and it looks like the Kontrol-DJ does too (Looking at it's MIDI preset file - It also has ready made presets and shortcuts for VDJ.)

Pitch is also an issue - You may find this inverted (So moving it up speeds the music up rather than slowing it down.)

Hopefully all of the above MIDI issues will be fixed in a future version of VDJ (Especially important with the increasing number of MIDI controllers becoming available.)

Posted Thu 20 Apr 06 @ 12:55 pm
71%