Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Which Application Should I Buy?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi all.

I am interested in using one of the pieces of software offered on this site, but I'm not sure which version I should get. I'm not a professional DJ, and have no intentions of ever becoming one. But, I would like to be able to play at parties for friends and relatives, and do some mixing and so forth.

I assumed that all I needed would be one of the software applications, a laptop, some speakers, and, of course, some mp3 files. Can someone let me know which application will suit my needs?

And would you recommend any hardware to be used as well, if you think it necessary.

Bye, and thanks.

Posted Fri 14 Apr 06 @ 6:09 am
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
if you want to play for private friend's parties, you will soon want to have external mixer and some controllers. So i can advise you to buy full version and you will have everything what you can expect from DJ software.

About hardware... There are many external controllers for VDJ. And in the future there will be even more supported!

As you don't want to become a real dj, but just bedroom dj and mix music at friend's parties, is the best think you can get Hercules DJConsole MK2. It is external sound card, midi controller for VirtualDJ and mixer all-in-one.
You won't need any more for the beginning, believe me ;)

Posted Fri 14 Apr 06 @ 11:57 am
dj_cashPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I recommend the full version... as xeon said, "you will soon want to have external mixer and some controllers......." it's true... and I recommend Hercules DJ Console MK2 too... I have ordered one... will get it within some days...

The full version is perfect for newbies and professionals... read more about the software on the frontpage ( www.virtualdj.com ) and see the changes from the release version (1.0) to now (3.4) ( http://www.virtualdj.com/products/virtualdj/history.html )
The best things is that it's cheap and have alot of features, like VideoMixing, Beatmatch, Automix, Mastertempo, Autoscratch (Hardware needed), cool effects and much more....

VDJ will even be better...!

Dj Cash

Posted Fri 14 Apr 06 @ 12:38 pm
Thanks very much guys. I'll take your advice and move on your recommendations. Bye for now.

Posted Fri 14 Apr 06 @ 2:38 pm
Oh, last question guys: You both recommended that I get the "full version." Does that mean that I should get "VirtualDJ Home Edition" 2006 OR "VirtualDJ Pro?"

Bye, and thanks again.

Posted Fri 14 Apr 06 @ 2:45 pm
PRO version is full version. What means that it offers you everything that it is possible in this program.

Posted Fri 14 Apr 06 @ 2:47 pm
Thanks again. I have yet another question (my research is making me come up with questions).

I just went online looking for "Hercules DJ Console" and found Hercules DJ Console MK2 & Hercules DJ Control MP3. Which one are you all recommending, and why? What's the difference?

Posted Fri 14 Apr 06 @ 2:53 pm
Hercules DJ Control MP3 has only midi controllers. So it hasn't got sound card built in.
Go for DJ Console MK2 and you will have everything you need, including microphone input.

Later you can upgrade it and use it with external mixer (real mix table) and even with TimeCoded CDs or Vinyls!

Posted Fri 14 Apr 06 @ 2:57 pm
Thank you once again. And for my last question:

What are TimeCoded CDs or Vinyls!? Why would I want to use them, and what would they help me to do? (I feel like I'm going to school again...hahaha).

Bye, and thanks again.

Posted Fri 14 Apr 06 @ 3:00 pm
dj_cashPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Bro, a Time Coded Vinyl is a vinyl with a special sound on it... You load a the song on one deck (on the computer) and you play, pause, stop, scratch and nudge on the turntable... only thing you need is a ASIO soundcard with 2 x line in (if you want to connect 2 turntables to you computer) and some TCV's... you can read more about the TCV's on the forums...

TCCD (Time Coded CD) is exatly the same... it's just a CD instead of a vinyl...

Posted Fri 14 Apr 06 @ 6:34 pm
Yo thanks man. Great help!

Posted Fri 14 Apr 06 @ 6:49 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)