Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Mixer - Pioneer vs. Numark

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi all, I'm new to this forum, just wanted to ask everyone's opinion on something...

I'd like to add an external mixer to my VDJ setup, but I'm not sure which one to get. The "industry standard" for clubs appears to be the Pioneer DJM600, which sells for about $1100. After doing a little bit of research, I've found the Numark 5000FX, which sells for about $540 -- from the description it sounds almost identical... but for less than half the price of the Pioneer! Is there a difference I'm not aware of? Is it something subtle, like the resistance of the faders that makes the Pioneer so good? Or is it the "industry standard" simply because it was at the right place at the right time, and everyone's just copied each other by getting it?

And what about MIDI-enabled mixers, like the Ecler Nuo4 and Nuo5 -- any good as mixers? Is having MIDI on the mixer really all that important? As far as I can see, this would only allow the VDJ skin to show what's going on with the EQ'ing on the computer screen -- but if it's already obvious by looking at the mixer, is this necessary? Or does MIDI on the mixer allow for other interesting possibilities that makes it worth considering over a more established brand that lacks MIDI? (And no, I don't think I'm prepared to shell out the $1550 for the Pioneer DJM800 just yet...)

Thanks in advance for any advice you all might have!

Posted Thu 13 Apr 06 @ 4:05 pm
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
The Ecler NUO 4 mixer will let you control the Video Crossfader with the sound crossfader of the mixer.

If you consider getting into video mixing one day this is very important.

And the midi assingable buttons and nobs on the Nuo 4 mixer can be mapped to nearly anything. Letting you use VDJ without the mouse but with the keyboard and mixer.

Posted Thu 13 Apr 06 @ 6:53 pm
Hmm, yeah, the MIDI-assignable buttons and knobs do sound nice -- all I normally use the mouse for is choosing tracks to play, can the buttons be programmed to navigate through folders for this purpose? Also, the Nuo 4 doesn't appear to have a BPM counter of built-in effects, whereas the Nuo 5 does... Does the Nuo 5 have the same setup, with knobs and buttons that can send MIDI signals? If so, the same number as the Nuo 4?

Posted Thu 13 Apr 06 @ 7:42 pm
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Nuo 4 has Midi
Nuo 5 has effects

Maybe one day the Nuo 45 will have both. But for the moment i think only Xone 3D and DJM 800 have both effects and Midi

Posted Thu 13 Apr 06 @ 8:44 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
the new pios have midi buttons and faders too
most decent modern mixers will have them soon

Posted Thu 13 Apr 06 @ 11:18 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)