Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Video Editing....?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi all,

I just wondered if anybody knows of a good program that i could use to edit out some parts of music videos i ripped off dvds.

The problem is that some videos (particuarly hip-hop ones) have little 'skits' in the middle of them where the music stops and there's a little scene- not what you want when people are dancing!

I've tried using windows movie maker, but you have to change the .vob extention to .mpg to import the files and then it tends to crash whenever i try to edit the files!!!

At the moment i'm just setting cue points for where the music starts again after the break and try to time it just right to jump to that cue point as the music stops. Doen't always sound so good if my timings a bit off (or if i forget!)

If anybody's got any suggestions that would be great.

Thanks. :-)

Posted Mon 10 Apr 06 @ 3:16 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Try to use PRO software ;) i use mostly Pinnacle studio and have to say that it is great! i use it just for home videos from video camera.

Posted Mon 10 Apr 06 @ 3:18 pm
Slash4PRO InfinityMember since 2003
Try Vegas or Adobe Premiere. They are both very good softwares. Windows Movie Maker is simply a joke ;-)

Posted Mon 10 Apr 06 @ 4:21 pm
I use TMPGenc dvd author, it does the job perfectly.

Posted Mon 10 Apr 06 @ 6:21 pm
Try Final Cut.

Posted Mon 10 Apr 06 @ 7:48 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
FinalCut? Isn't it just for macs? :)

Posted Mon 10 Apr 06 @ 8:02 pm
I work as an professional editor and can tell you straight away that pro software is way to expensive for this kind of use. I would not recommend spending hundreds or even thousands of dollars for such simple editing. I think a program that would suit you is the Sony Vegas Movie Studio (the Movie Studio edition is a stripped down version of the professional Vegas).

The reason I say this is mostly based on my knowledge of the pro version. I've worked and/or am working on different platforms such as Adobe Premier Pro/After Effects, different Avid-suits, Final Cut and Vegas and the one suit that never cease to amaze me is Sony Vegas. The cheapest of the lot it is still the most flexible solution; Lots of features, extremely good set of audio-tools, very high degree of realtime previews, very responsive (try jogging with JKL on Premiere Pro and Vegas and you will know what i mean), scripting and customization, and last but not least it has an very intuitive interface wich makes it the easiest program to learn (Avid is a nightmare compared). Also the price is unbeatable...

You can probably see my enthusiams for Sony Vegas equals that of VDJ! :-)

Anyway, back to your issue here: I think most home-video editing programs will suit your need just fine, and they won't bankrupt you, but I'd go with Sony Vegas Movie Studio.

BTW If anyone should think I have ties to Sony Media Software, I can assure you that's not the case... If you google for user-forums and such you will find most Vegas users to be very excited about their software (just like VDJ-users).

@ xeon: Pinnacle Studio is by no means a PRO software.

Posted Mon 10 Apr 06 @ 11:14 pm
if you want to cut some parts of the video without losing quality, try mpeg video wizard, it's really good for that matter.

Posted Tue 11 Apr 06 @ 12:35 am
socrossPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I use sony vegas movie stidio, it cost about $90 USD and works great!! You can also add your DJ name to the bottom of the screen for an extra bit of promotion...

Posted Tue 11 Apr 06 @ 4:45 am
I use the $99 Sony Vegas Movie Studio and it is great. Another option if you only have Movie Maker (which is good considering it is free) is to load the mp3 into the soundtrack and google image search for pictures of the artist and just load them all into the timeline and do a slideshow.

i do this occasionally when a really good artist dies. i'll make a quick tribute slideshow to one of the artists better known tunes and fade to black at the end with the name and birth and death dates. it really has an impact when everyone sees that after hearing the sad news that day.

Posted Tue 11 Apr 06 @ 3:59 pm
Windows XP also comes with a free VERY basic video editor "Windows Movie Maker" Very easy to use (since it has VERY limited capability)

Posted Tue 11 Apr 06 @ 6:34 pm
James, if you read the first post you'd see that Andy already tried that, and that it was not working for him...

Posted Tue 11 Apr 06 @ 6:42 pm
Hi everybody,

Thanks for all the replys!!! :-)

I'll have a look at some of the progs as soon as i get a spare moment. Liking the sound of something simple though, since it really is such a basic thing i need to do.

(Any other suggestions, keep them coming!)

Thanks again.

Posted Wed 12 Apr 06 @ 6:28 pm
willkPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I use vegas video by sony media. It reads vob files perfectly( you need to drag and drop them into the interface because the explorer window wont recognize them) but besides that, it works great. Just export them to an mpeg1 format once you are finished. The sony mpeg1 export with vegas puts out very high quality so you should be good.

Posted Sat 15 Apr 06 @ 5:58 pm
You might ALREADY have the best software that can handle it, Nero Vision Express... if you bought a DVD/CD player lately, you might have the OEM version of 6... it works fine... 7 is a little faster and you can import all the files.

Also, if you notice when you pull the vobs (as I do by chapter with DVD Decryptor), if a track overlaps, you can import TWO vobs and it will look to see if they are connected and then blend them perfectly (almost impossible to do with some of the other programs).

I might do a "HOW TO" on the subject, I seem to have some time before I move.

If you have the OEM version of 6.6 Nero, the upgrade to 7 is $74..., but I hear that 7 is not too favored by some although I believe it renders a LOT faster than 6.

Posted Sat 15 Apr 06 @ 8:35 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)