Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Correct / Incorrect computers set up for VirtualDJ v3.4 - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I recently Purchased VDJ and installed on DELL Inspiron 2650(1.8GHZ pentium 4, 30 gig hd,) . Works OK,
did not expect much just wanted to learn the basic's of software prior to purchase of computer that will ony be used for VDJ. I'm currently in Kabul, Afghanistan(not much longer though). Got some French and Brit's here w/ me( HA ). But seriously I have read many of the forums and advice that many of the users have to offer. So if the following setup for laptop is correct please let me know, also if you feel that there are other things I should consider please reply.
2GHZ processor ( Pentium M?, INTEL DUO?,AMD 64 X2?)-----any advice
80 GIG HD (min 5,400 RPM?)------------------------------------- "
INDIGO DJ soundcard---------------------------------------------- "
widescreen/standard---------------------------------------------- "
Graphics/Video card ---------(6600gt?,nvdia6800?)------------- "

Condisering a DELL XPS M170.............................................

Posted Fri 31 Mar 06 @ 12:36 pm
Sorry, The Laptop will ONLY be used for VDJ
also, forgot to add 2 gig drive RAM

Posted Fri 31 Mar 06 @ 2:43 pm
Thinking About , DELL M170
jeezy peezy , excuses only satisfy the maker.
DANG

Posted Fri 31 Mar 06 @ 2:47 pm
I use a Inspiron 6000, 1.6ghz processor, 128mb video card, 2gb of ram, 80gig hd, but I don't use the hd for storing music. I use a 250gig portable hd for that. I have not had any problems with the software at all. I also use the timecoded vinyles. Fantastic to say the least. Keep Low over there ;)

dj lance
akron, ohio

Posted Fri 31 Mar 06 @ 5:17 pm
Hi

I've just bought a cheapish Inspiron off Ebay. It's only a 1.4 celeron with 512 Ram and a 40Gb hd but it works fine for VDJ. I'm going to put some more memory in prob another lMb. I use an external hard drive. I just got an echo indigo dj off ebay this week and I am using it in ASIO mode through a mixer.

Sounds great and never skips or glitches so far but need to try a bit longer. From googling it looks as if the Dell Inspiron might tend to overheat, but I have it on a wire tray so that there is good air circulation. I think it will be OK but it's a bit soon to say.

I suppose I'm saying that you could think twice before you bought a new laptop, because you might want to spend some cash on other gear. I really recommend the Echo Indigo DJ card, though. it sounds real good. Looking through the indigo manual though suggests that there may be some conpatability issues with AMD processors so might want to stick with Intel.

I would have bought a Dell Latitude C640 or 840 though if I had found one, but the Inspiron was such a good deal.

Andy

Posted Fri 31 Mar 06 @ 7:55 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
For processors: as virtualdj works in multithreading (6-10 threads), dual core or intel HT will really improve the reactivity of the software ;-)
RAM : at least 512 MB, but 1024MB to be in security
Hard disc: mini 5400 rpm
of course a good chipset !!!!

I don't like very much Dell but it's your choice ;-)

Posted Sat 01 Apr 06 @ 2:21 am
Hi again,

One thing about Dell is that they are cheap on Ebay and there are a lot of spares for easy and cheap repair. But the cheaper ranges (like mine) aren't marvelously robust. But, mine works fine with VDJ, sounds good with the indigo, and I can always resell on Ebay in a few months and probably get a little more than I paid for it.

I'm sort of hanging fire waiting to see what hardware manufacturers come up with because I also use a Numark CDN95 too. It has full mp3 capabilities nice effects and I have around 40 cds with thousands of mp3 tracks and a catalogue on laptop, also in paper form in case of crash.

Of course the best way to go, if spending money on computer power, might be to buy a rackmount PC and separate screen and set it up in a good flightcase. That would probably give a much higher spec and much better reliability. I got a quote for a v good spec rackmount for around £600 from a local computer manufacturer. A screen would be £150 and a case around £150. This is probably the way I will go in a few months.

A bit heavier but compared to carrying round cases of vinyl an absolute dream.

Andy

Posted Sat 01 Apr 06 @ 12:25 pm
Thanks ,all I've contemplated the rackmount concept . Would add to the flexability of upgrades and use of an extenal mixer (a plus) . I have the vestax 05pro at the house and 2 mkII's . Workin with the program I find while in pro(mixer setop) if mixing a track and I adjust any of the Bass,mid, hi sliders while in mix the track jumps. Probably just small hd.?

Posted Sat 01 Apr 06 @ 12:39 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Hello!

I am going to buy new laptop for mixing (VDJ only) and i am curious if anybody there is using INTEL CORE DUO processor in LAPTOP.

How VDJ run on intel core duo in laptops?

Thanks to anybody who can answer!

Dj Nikki

Posted Sun 02 Apr 06 @ 5:46 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Yes i have a centrino Duo (dual core) and it's really great ;-)
(i advise T2500,T2600,T2700 with Chipset Intel i945PM )
But the processor P4 3.06GHz with HT is great too :-)

Posted Sun 02 Apr 06 @ 11:30 pm
HaywardPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I have a dell Inspiron 9300 Centrino M, 2GB Ram 80G HD/ 120G ext HD, HDJC 1 and it works great, you can see it in my blog.

Posted Thu 06 Apr 06 @ 7:27 pm
I'm using an old Sony Vaio PCG-FX140

This is a laptop w/

PIII 733MHz
standard 128MB RAM > Now 384 >Max 512
w/10GB HD
Running XP

I sucked at 128MB but now no problems.
I don't know if running on time coded vinyls will require for a RAM upgrade o.

When things take off, I'm planning on building a compact dj box.

Vitaliy

Posted Tue 11 Apr 06 @ 8:12 am
Peeps,

Working off, an 1Ghz VIA C3 Processor EI Laptop, 512mb 20gb HD (but use my 30gb Ipod for storing music on!)

Came originally with just 256mb, really poor, but the 512mb has really taken things off, can do anything that I want with it now!!!!

Posted Tue 25 Apr 06 @ 2:02 am
jeijeixHome userMember since 2006
How can I use time code and about crashguard? Do I need to enable that crashguard before opening the VDJ program? a little help will be fine...

Posted Wed 26 Apr 06 @ 12:36 pm
d rocksPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I am using a rack mount w/ Pent IV 3.0ghz and 800hhz fsb. It has 1 gig of ram and 2 internal hd. a 60 gig for the applications and a 250 gig with just media. I have 2 video cards because I do karaoke and video/s and visulations on the big screen. So far it has run good. I was at 512 gig of ram but the videos seemesd a little jitter. Also, during testing, if I pulled up the task manager, the cpu would be at 99% a lot of the time and the memory would be down around 12 meg available. So I double the ram and that helped. However, I run a very busy show, I also have lighting controls running also. I am about to pull the processor and mother board and try the dual core. You can get the parts on line for about $200 and that includes the heat sink and fan. That is about all I can tell you, but if I do change I will let you know.

Posted Wed 26 Apr 06 @ 2:58 pm
combi06Home userMember since 2006
Hello...i'm an amateur DJ and i only dj at friends' parties and stuff like that but nothing serious...i am in the process of buying a laptop exclusively for VDJ Only. I have my eyes on this computer but i dont know if the specs are ideal for VDJ. My plans are to buy VDJ 3.4 Software and the Hercules DJConsole MK2 (I already have the speakers). Can somebody tell me if i should go with this laptop and if i need any other equipment besides what im planning on buying? Oh by the way I will not be storing my music files on the hard drive...instead i'm going to set up a network and get them from there...would this be a good idea?

Computer Brand ACER
Operating Systems Microsoft® Windows® XP Home
Platform Learn More Notebook PC
Expansion Ports 1 - Type II PC Card Slot
Processor Brand AMD
Processor Class Sempron™
Processor Speed 1.8Ghz
Memory Type DDR
Memory Size 512MB (256MB x 2)
Memory Speed DDR333 (PC2700)
Memory Slots (Total) 2
Memory Slots (Available) 0
Capacity 60GB
Optical Drive Type CD-RW / DVD-ROM Combo Drive
Graphics Description Integrated Graphics
GPU/VPU SiSM760GX chipset with integrated Mirage™2 graphics
Communications Description Integrated Modem
Integrated LAN
Integrated Wireless LAN
Interface Type Acer InviLink 802.11b/g wireless LAN
Width 14.3"
Height 1.5"
Depth 11.0"
Weight 6.2 lbs
Display Type WXGA TFT LCD with Crystal Bright Technology
Viewable Screen Size 15.4"

Thanx a lot

Posted Wed 26 Apr 06 @ 6:58 pm
d rocksPRO InfinityMember since 2006
The only thing that I know on the AMD processors is that they build alot of heat. Make sure you have a way to cool it. As this may severly slow down the processor. If it is plugged to the wall outlet, I have seen people removing there battery to help. Everything else looks ok.

Posted Wed 26 Apr 06 @ 8:56 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
That is so not true, AMD processors (like Athlon 64) are very cool, some models works below 40c, and Sempron is similar. Intel is a lot hotter (just see what coolers they use these day to cool down Pentium or Celeron, and their size!). Mobile Centrino is even worse, I don't know how will they survive in a club with a lot of heat.
But removing your battery and making extra space is very good point, I did it a few months ago and it really gets cooler (Gericom Hummer 2.8Ghz).

Posted Thu 27 Apr 06 @ 7:03 am
pggiiPRO InfinityMember since 2005
DJ-ALF is absolutely correct! AMD chips are KNOWN for running much cooler than Intel, accross the board, no matter which chip class/family. This is precisely why AMD is slowly beating the CRAP out of Intel in the desktop marketplace, and convincing major laptop makers (Dell, Lenovo-aka:ThinkPad, etc.) to add AMD to their new lineups of laptops coming in the very near future.

Keep your eyes open! The next generation of laptops promise to be almost (if not) better than your standard desktop equivalent!

PGGII - 31 yr. Computer Professional

Posted Tue 13 Jun 06 @ 2:32 am
grugPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I run 3.4 on a notebook, pentium M Processor 1.60Ghz, 512MB Ram...all runs smoothly

Just turn off the XP visuals under system/advanced/Performance - adjust for best performance
Also turn off your virus scanner when just using Virutal DJ.
If after awhile it becomes alittle sluggish I just defrag the hard disk

Posted Tue 13 Jun 06 @ 3:32 am
56%