Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Sound Help/Assistance

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

YSRCaliPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Firstly, forgive me, I am fairly new to Virtual DJ'ing.

I am using a Toshiba "Satilite" Laptop (1.2 ghz, 100gig drive, 512 memory) and it seems to have limited sound settings.

Problem is that some or most music seems distorted and is possibly due to the way it was MP3 was ripped. So at times, I scramble within the VDJ skin to drop the bass down and or volume to better the sound quatlity.

Anyone familiar with latop settings and or have a suggestion(s) to bettering the sound quality and/or ridding distortion?

ps, any virtual EQ recommendations or is it suggested?

any tips/suggestions are appreciated :)

Posted Thu 30 Mar 06 @ 6:51 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Try the following settings:
Gain at or below -4
Limiter: Disabled
Timestretch: Disabled

Enocode your MP3's using the Lame or Faunhofer (encoder), use a minmimum bite rate of 192kbps.

If you are using your laptops onboard soundcard I'd recommend upgrading to something higher quality, the soundcards on board most laptops are pretty dirt cheap.

In regards to EQ's, I'd recommend an external unit or even adjusting the pre-set on your Amplifier.

The sound engine of VDJ will be greatly improved in Version 4 which is due out soon, however the problem you described can't be blamed completely on the current engine as it provides good sound quality for the vast majority of users.

I hope this information is of some help to you.

Posted Thu 30 Mar 06 @ 6:59 pm
Thanks for the input

I verified my settings to what you have suggested as well as adjusted my soundcard settings for "best" sound. However, I did experience one glitch/hick-up over the weekend while Djing a gig.
While playing a song that needed a little more bass, I began to adjust the bass within the skin (Boanerges v1.1), then I experienced a brief pause of silence, then sound continued. Looks like I may need to increase my memory up to 1 gig (current is 512) unless you feel there is another reason and/or have a solution for the glitch.......[me scratches head]

Keep in mind that I have iTunes running in the background that hosts my library and playlists of music, which I use to drag-n-drop from Itunes into the deck(s) of VDJ when in "mix" mode. Currently, it is a very effiicient/effective way for me to access my music as well as it displays of a full listing of music. Moreover, it allows me to switch/search between Genre, Title, Artist, and BPM at the click of a mouse.

If you have a better or equal effective way of doing this within VDJ, please share :).

Btw, this is my 4th gig using the Laptop and used it practically the whole evening. The other was using my Numark CDN88......maybe played 4 songs/Cd's (lol)

OH! and lastly, I will be adding an external EQ to my set-up :p

Posted Mon 03 Apr 06 @ 5:41 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hi again YSRCali,
The problem you experienced with the in software equalizer is common, it's known as the "EQ skip", where the first touch of the softwares EQ causes a skip or less than a second of silence..

It normally happens only the first time the EQ is touched, so usually we touch the EQ in the software before we start playing to an audience to prevent this occuring, however it can on occasion happen a second time if you haven't used it for a while. I can verify this Bug will be fixed in the next version of VDJ.

More RAM is always useful especially when performing professionaly with an App such as Virtual DJ, but more is not needed to cure this particular problem/bug. I'd personally recommend using an external mixer for EQ'ing if one is available, or of course an external EQ unit ;).

Posted Mon 03 Apr 06 @ 6:06 pm
whew.......and thanks of informing me of the "bug" and looking forward to seeing the changes with 4.0 :D

In the mean time, I'll keep in mind your suggestion and or make adjustments from the mixer and or "external " EQ.

Thanks again for your input and support :)

ps, now if we can only get them dang CBG's from drifting or locked-on to wave forms so that we can truly benefit within the "automix" feature VDJ :p
I have spent many hours going thru my library of dance tunes correcting bpm's, aligning CBG's and setting cue points..........so much, that my family voicing that I spend way to much time on the laptop......let alone that my day job is spent on a desk-top PC [cry laughing]

Posted Mon 03 Apr 06 @ 6:27 pm
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
The bug sounz similar to a bug with the samples. If you haven't used any of the samples in a while then press it theres a slight delay in sound then the samples play off time. Hopefully there is a fix for this in the new version also.

Posted Tue 04 Apr 06 @ 4:49 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)