Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Let's Try This Again

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

You all might remember this thread:

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/42312/General_Discussion/Using_Video_Features_Without_Accelerated_Video_Card_Support.html?highlight=accelerated%20and%20video%20and%20laptop

Where I asked for some help in picking out a notebook that has a video card capable of working with VDJ accelerated video feature. After some thought and some advice, I picked up a notebook with a high-end Nvida video chipset. Alas, the accelerated video did not work with VDJ.

So that notebook was stolen at a gig last month. Unfortunate too, since I paid about $1,500 for it. The only good point is that now I have to buy a new one, I can defintely get with that works with VDJ for accelerated video and video mixing.

So let's try this again. If anyone is using a laptop for mixing videos and the accelerated video feature works, please post EXACTLY what model it is and EXACTLY what video card and driver version you are using. This will be a big help to me when I go to buy a new laptop.

I am not interested in any desktops. Laptops only please.

Posted Mon 27 Mar 06 @ 9:13 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Mate that sucks, unlucky.

But hey wel all know your making the big bucks as a superstar DJ so im sure ull find another 1500 somewhere : P

Posted Mon 27 Mar 06 @ 9:22 pm
good to see you are still around, Anewsome ;)

The Nvida chipset I've heard others have issues with too, not only vdj but gaming as well...

I hope many can report to you good video cards that work fine.

My video laptop card is:
- ATI MOBILITY RADEON X700

Works VERY well with VDJ ;) (And games too, if that matters...hehe)

Posted Mon 27 Mar 06 @ 9:23 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Contact Paulhue here in the forum, he is the only one I know of that has it working on a laptop.

Posted Mon 27 Mar 06 @ 9:24 pm
works fine for me too ;) laptop and ATI card ;)

And there are several others using laptop and accelerated hardware video too...

Hope many will report back in this thread, as its a good one for advice on cards that work well in laptops

Posted Mon 27 Mar 06 @ 9:26 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I'm interested in this too, my next investment will probably be a Laptop capable of video mixing in VDJ with HQ video files, without overheating, that is currently a hell of a challenge for a laptop in my humble opinion, meaning only the high end models can pull it off in a 100% reliable fashion.

I'd suggest a laptop with a desktop Chip (in excess of 3GHZ) and ideally a laptop with 2GB Ram, custom built legs for elevation/cooling as the desktop chips produce much more heat, as for the graphics card this is more about compatibility with VDJ which I've not had much experience with.

I do see the problem though, I don't see many laptops with KILLER graphics cards, many only come with integrated/shared graphics mem :(, so I don't know what to advise here. I wish Dev Staff would recommend a product.

Just out of interest was your laptop insured for theft? I suggest either insuring it for theft or never move 5 metres away from it.

Does anyone here successfully use a laptop with Timcoded Vinyl/CD plus video mixing?

Posted Mon 27 Mar 06 @ 10:14 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
Wow your all coming out today :) Good to see

I said this before I think VDJ should make a recommened list of hardware that has been used and know to deliver good results. I think that would probably cut the forum questions down a little...maybe

Posted Mon 27 Mar 06 @ 10:27 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
My rack weighed in at 115# last week and I my back is screwed with a gig coming this weekend full lighting and video.
I am rethinking the whole thing and started putting a suitcase together for these same reasons.

Posted Mon 27 Mar 06 @ 10:28 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
i was going to say, ive seen some nice looking settups here all in one box etc but thats gotta weigh a ton doing it that way. Who was it that had a big one on casters with a screen in the back too. that was a good call cause it would mess your back up to lift one of those awkward rigs.

And theres one thing about quality equipment.............. 90% of the time it is the heaviest

Posted Tue 28 Mar 06 @ 12:06 am
I have it running better on my laptop than my fullsize rackmount! LOL

Gateway 7322GZ, P4 2.8 , 512 ram, ATI built in Video

I bought two of these last year at Best Buy for $949 each. These have run VDJ flawlessly!

I can run accelerated video, uses 2-5% CPU when playing videos, goes to 20% when loading.

No probs with VOBs or anything else so far. Using all of the supplied drivers.

I love this program and Can't wait for 4.0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rusty

Posted Tue 28 Mar 06 @ 12:52 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
I use a ASUS A6J:
processor: Intel Centrino duo
ram: 1024MB DDR2
chipset: Intel i945PM
video card: ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 512MB on PCI Express

It works well for me with "Hardware acceleration" enabled

Posted Tue 28 Mar 06 @ 1:19 am

Posted Tue 28 Mar 06 @ 6:40 am
Norway and all the others. Thanks for the advice. Looks like I'll be looking at the ATI rather than Nvidia this time. The new laptop will be dedicated to VDJ only too. I have a gig that runs all summer at a place that has a whole bunch of plasmas and big screens so I need to step up my video mixing game. I should have the new laptop within the next few weeks.

It's not that desktops are out of the question, it's just that my truck, with my current setup is absolutely packed. I have a picture somewhere, loaded on the way to the gig. Currently I have to put two JBL EON 15s on top of the truck and tie them down and the passenger seat has been removed in order to fit all the gear. I can't even carry a passenger to a gig. So yeah, I guess the desktop is out of the question.

Thanks for all the tips guys. As usual,.. I'll report back once I get it and let you know how the video is working out. I'm keeping my setup with the turntables but my video coffin will either be with the 2 DZ1200 CD players or the 2 xp10s (or shit, why not both). Either way, it'll be a dedicated VDJ setup,.. that is assuming I can get video working to my satisfaction on the new laptop.

Posted Wed 29 Mar 06 @ 1:24 am
I meant thanks to everyone except Xeo who tried to poke fun at me by calling me a "Superstar DJ" :-)

Posted Wed 29 Mar 06 @ 2:32 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)