Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Drifting Help and/or Tips

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

YSRCaliPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Well, after sampling the the Demo for a little over a week and finally making my purchase, and now going on a couple weeks of practice.

I have read a lot in regards to the tips/threads offered in regards to BPM's, CBG, Beat Lock and Syncronizing, my brain seems over-loaded [cry laughing].

It seems that CBG will never be locked in sync with certain wave forms, therefore "drifting" occurrs.

I've been using the "nudge" function as well as pitch adjustments to keep the two songs sync'd. Dilema is, it's obvious and apparent to the ear.

Please share with me your personal technique of creating a prefect beatmix between songsin regards to this scenerio.

ps, I've pondered the thought creating a short-cut (key function) for pitch and/or nudge adjustments. But I'd like to see what some of you more experienced users do in this scenerio. Who knows, one of you may have a technique that works for me.

pss, I've done many searches, but there are so many topics/threads and seem to drift off-topic. So any "simplified" tips and/or suggestions are welcome :)

In advance, thanks :)

Posted Thu 16 Mar 06 @ 12:54 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005

Welcome as a FULL Profesional USER !!!! , you have more information available now and also you can enter to other forums.

Good Luck!

Posted Sat 18 Mar 06 @ 7:00 pm
One of my computers seems to be having trouble when i use the "arrows" to speed up or slow down a looped track, to sync with the other deck. What happens is that if I tap the arrow key lightly, I can sometimes get it synced with no trouble. But more frequently, it "jumps or hesitates" and then both tracks are completely off beat. And when this happens, the deck that is played live, will create like a double beat, that is audible to the floor. If I watch the visual waves, I can actually see where it is almost lining up and then it jumps a beat or two quickly or sometimes even slowly. This also happens when I video mix.

Please let me know if you have a fix for this.

Jason G

BTW the specs are as follows (Sound blaster live value pci, windows xp, 1gb ram,40gb hard drive, pentium 4 2.0 ghz.) All of my drivers as well as direct x are up to date.

Posted Wed 05 Apr 06 @ 7:40 am
djejPRO InfinityMember since 2004
YSR Cali. I definitely recommended setting up shortcuts for CBG Adjust. Search out DJ in Norways Blog. Most people will tell you that you need to do all the things written about in the adjust the CBG posts and the correct BPM posts, it just takes a lot of time up front. Since I'm a little lazy I have developed a sort of trick that makes thing's easy on difficult songs, some Hip Hop and R&B or old dance music with real musicians.

I have a CBG shortcut set to move the grid left or right (two left right arrow keys). I match the songs up through traditional beatmatching (with your ear). I then adjust the CBG to line up...doesn't matter if all are lining up as long as most are and the song is beatmatched. I can then hit beat lock and walk away and have a beer or talk with someone etc.. Now some songs will drift a touch over a period of time (2-3 minutes) but I just make sure I monitor it in time to hit the break correctly and make the slight adjustment that only takes a second.

@jasongrove...make sure the beatlock isn't on while you're nudging.

Posted Wed 05 Apr 06 @ 9:06 pm
Beat matching by ear is one of the dj skills. If you practise a lot, it will become very easy. To beatmatch easier, I created some shortcuts and changed some:
- The arrow up and down change the pitch by 10 steps. This is quite a large step so I created 2 additional shortcuts with a step of only one (, and . keys). Then you use the arrow up down first to get almost correct (or use the beat match button) and then use the , and . keys for exact match
- The arrow left and arrow right do a pitch bend, I changed this to nudge and lowered the value. In this case you hear little changes less.
Ewout

Posted Wed 05 Apr 06 @ 10:30 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)