Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: How much power do you need to play VOB files

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi all,

I've been playing my DVDs converted to MPEG-1s with no problem at all for a while now. Last night I thought i'd try using the rip-dvd program and create a few VOB files - for the obvious improvement in quality. Although they will play ok in VDJ when I load another one onto the other deck the playing one stutters a little - obviously to manipulate VOB files you need plenty of RAM and power - my question is how much - is anyone out there constantly mixing from one VOB to the other successfully ?

My Specs are reasonable - perhaps I need more RAM. I think my laptop will take 2gig (its currently only 1gig) - I will get the upgrade if this will maybe help.

Specs - Acer Ferrari 4005 Laptop - 64bit Turion processor at 2.0GHZ
1 gig of ram
100 gig HDD built in (The VOBS are on here)
250 gig external USB2
x700 radion video chip (128 vid memory i think)

Posted Tue 14 Mar 06 @ 1:24 pm
Hi,

Have you got the "decode while hidden" box checked in the video tab of the config menu? That can somtimes stop stuttering happening i think.

I've got a 1.82 GHz laptop with 1Gig of ram and i don't get stuttering on vob files, so even if that doesn't work, there might be some other settings you can alter to stop it happening.

Hope that helps.

Posted Tue 14 Mar 06 @ 2:50 pm
In my opinion it all boils down to how fast your hard drive can transfer the information to your computer. Ram and CPU are important also. When I play vobs, my cpu is at ~ 5%.

Posted Wed 15 Mar 06 @ 5:40 am
Andy was correct - when I ticked that option, all appears ok now. There is an almost unnoticable pause it the video when you first drag the second VOB onto the second deck, but the sound is not interuppted now. Thanks all.

Posted Wed 15 Mar 06 @ 3:25 pm
You have your vob's on the same drive as the OS and the software? Don't you think you are asking this drive to do too much, at one time? It will do it, but will it do it well? "Almost unnoticeable" sounds like
"a little bit pregnant" to me. I have not noticed this, but will check to see if this happens to me. I have 1 gig of ram, and a P4 3.0g chip. My OS and programs are on 1 drive, my mp3's on 2 drives, and my vob's on 2 ext drives. Also, make sure you are looking at the output, not the monitor in the software. I have noticed a lag in the monitor, but not the output.

Posted Wed 15 Mar 06 @ 7:55 pm
muggieHome userMember since 2006
yeah it's true YOU need to transfer your vods to a alternate hard drive..set the cpu virtual memory at maximum:eg:-4096 is the max on my pc.
What this does is the pc will use the free space that you set as extra memory or virtual memory... Don't load up Your C: drive with programs you really don't want... OK here are some tweaks I use..My recycle bin is set at 5% of hard drive useage, My system restore is set at about 500 mb. This is the best part the startup folder contain things that slow down boot up power, you must delete them ...it's in your start menu ok.. try some of these & your pc will run with more speed with less unused programes running in the background... ps.. on more thing You can set your visual effects also by uncheaking some of the buttons like eg :-shadows under menu, fade in task, scroll menu list etc....etc..trust me this will work ....reply to me at --@--.-- ...I make pcs for a living....I'm out!!!

--
Moderated by Lady Cameron
Sorry muggie no email address is allowed from a demo user

Posted Sat 18 Mar 06 @ 7:43 am
The solution may be in the specs of your computer... here they are:

AMD Turion 64 ML-37 processor: 2GHz, 64KB L1 Cache, 1MB L2 Cache
- ATI Radeon Xpress 200P chipset with Mobility Radeon X700 GPU and 128MB video memory
- 1GB DDR333 SO-DIMM (2x 512MB), upgradeable to 2GB maximum
- 15.4" WSXGA+ TFT LCD display (1680 x 1050 resolution)
- Broadcom (802.11b+g) wifi, Gigabit wired Ethernet LAN, Bluetooth
- 2.5" Ultra DMA 66/100, 100GB (5400rpm) hard drive
- 8x DVD-RW/CD-RW slot loading combo drive (Panasonic Model: UJ-845-C)
- Audio AC'97 2.2, built-in dual speakers and microphone, speaker/headphone
- I/O Ports: 1x PCMCIA, 4x USB 2.0, VGA, DVI, S-video, IEEE 1394a, Mic in, Headphone, RJ11, RJ45, 5-in-1 media reader
- 56K v.92 Fax/modem
- 2-3.5 hrs battery life w/h 4800mAh battery
- Weight: 6.3 Lbs
- Size: 14.3" x 10.5" x 1.4"

Most specifically, your INTERNAL HDD is 5400 RPM... assuming your external HDDs are 7200 (or faster), they should have your video. Your internal HDD shouldn't have ANYTHING but your OS... a 5400 RPM HDD will cause the stutter you are talking about. Other than that, you should be good to go with VOBS, however, I don't think you will be able to do video in the back ground... but I'm not sure.

Try moving your music/vidoes OFF the main HDD.

Posted Sat 18 Mar 06 @ 2:41 pm
HoffmanPRO InfinityMember since 2006
WHat do you think it could be about the VOBs?

Do you think getting the newest version of video card driver could be the difference?

My XPS 1710 laptop is new and the driver could be slightly newer.

THanks.

Posted Tue 31 Oct 06 @ 12:43 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005

even if your Dell 1710 is fresh new, take a look of the lastest drivers on the DELL site. Maybe this could be fix in this way.

Posted Wed 01 Nov 06 @ 9:57 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)