Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Tip: Smart Cue with TCCD (Virtualdj3.4) - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
The Smart Cue option is an amazing new feature in 3.4
To make use of it that's what i did :

I created new timecode cd's with 2 or 3 audio tracks (timecode).
On track #1 is the full timecode
On track #2, timecode starts from 1.00 min (this track has 11.00 min length)
On track #3, timecode starts from 3.00 min (this track has 09.00 min length)

1.00 and 3.00 min areas of the timecode are the "hot" points to call cues.
Now using the auto-cue function in cdplayer i can start the song from beginning (track 1)
and switch (cycle) between cue points using tracks 2 and 3.
I prefer my cd version without track 1. (not really needed its relative mode anyway)
There are some small problems but it really works...
Set smart mode in timecode options and enable "smart cue"
You can create the 9.00 and 11.00 min versions of the timecode easily with a wave editor.
Just be sure to add some milliseconds of silence (100-200) for the autocue function to work (in the cdplayers)

This is good idea for classic cd players, on advanced cd players with hot starts just use these instead.

Good luck...

Posted Sun 12 Mar 06 @ 4:29 pm
Great Tip! I'll be sure to tinker with this once my replacement Maya 44 USB arrives.

I've upgraded to 3.4, but have not had a chance to touch the updated TCV settings. Is there new TimeCodeCD.mp3, or do we use the existing?

Woody

Posted Mon 13 Mar 06 @ 2:11 am
It's the same cd timecode.

Posted Mon 13 Mar 06 @ 2:46 pm
mzackPRO InfinityMember since 2006
apopsis......Where is this Smart Cue Option in VDJ 3.4?

Im new at this whole TCCD thing, I love it though and want to learn everything there is to know, and all the trick of the trade, so please bear with me......

How do I make an audio track a Time Code, I already have a CD that is the "full" time code, what exactly do I need to do with CD 2 and CD 3?

Your help is much appreciated, thanks!

Posted Mon 13 Mar 06 @ 7:30 pm
****Just a correction****
As i'm still testing this.

If someone want to create the timecode cd with the 3 tracks, try the track#2 at 1.30 or 1.59
(or something between)

For 2 tracks cd, 1.00 min and 3.00 min is ok

Remember this is an "unofficial" tip, but it works.

@mzack, the smart cue option is in soundcards (choose low latency asio) -> timecode config.
You'll need just a wave editor to cut the first 1.30 mins of the timecode (then add some silence) and save as for track#2
(cut 3.00 mins for track#3)
Then burn these tracks as usual with your cd-writer.
Nothing special, or nothing to do with virtual dj.
Maybe a friend can help you better.

Posted Tue 14 Mar 06 @ 11:50 am
Correction again... (latest):
don't use 1'.59'' for track#2

Good points to cut:

For 3 track cd :
0.00, 1.30, 3.00
OR
0.00, 2.00, 4.00

For 2 tracks cd :
1.00, 3.00
OR
1.00, 4.00

Posted Tue 14 Mar 06 @ 4:10 pm
Hi apopsis! thanks for your solution!!..I have some problems..can you help me?

I have 2 denons dn-s1000 +dn-x100 mix table+ vdj demo 3.4 + maya44usb..

I burn the cd with 3 timecodecd (First: full tccd+2s+tccd from 2min to the end+2s+tccd 4 min to the end)

I turn on auto cue on my cd player and I enabled the smart cue option on the vdj time code config.

How I have to do to make this work? it only pause for me...

FInally, With this options what can I do from my cd player?: use cue button? use hot start buttons? both?

any config extra needed?

thanks!

Posted Mon 03 Apr 06 @ 2:35 pm
First you have to understand how timecode work. Going to a specific point on cd is not enough,
you must play the timecode to "drive" the software and tell it where to go.
Smart cue works like this: if the timecode position jumps for more than 1 min forward or backward from the current position (with smart cue enable in vdj), then virtualdj goes to the next cue on song.
But you have to play the cd not just change track.
Hot cues in cd player can do the same. Just set 2 points with more than 1min distance.

Posted Tue 04 Apr 06 @ 2:12 pm
if you say that 2nd and 3rd track have 11 and 9 min. each one , but you have to add about 200 ms at the beginning of each track, the time of the 2nd and 3rd track would be 11:20 and 9:20, is that ok in order that vdj recognizes the code?

Posted Fri 07 Apr 06 @ 12:40 am
200ms is 0.2 sec not 20 sec...
It's ok anyway.

Posted Fri 07 Apr 06 @ 2:12 am
ok thank you so much, I'm gonna follow up with your advice, cause I was having that problem that vdj doesn't recognize any cue point , and when I try to record a cue on the cd player it accepts the cue , but vdj no, and you press play on the cd player,it continues playing from the last point you stop and you can't even start from the beginning using buttons from cd player.

Posted Fri 07 Apr 06 @ 2:35 am
I made the tccd with 3 tracks and I'm still having problems with cues, since vdj doesn't recognize any of them and only pauses the song and continues playing when I press play again, I don't know if is because of my cd players (pyle pro).

Posted Fri 07 Apr 06 @ 5:56 pm
I could never understand how useful this feature is for TCV users... Do I lift up the needle and go past a 2 minutes to get to next cue? Very confusing... and does that disable the ability to needle drop the song?

Posted Fri 07 Apr 06 @ 6:42 pm
@low-fat-al,
As a turntable user for years i thought the same at first. But believe me when you use it for 10 minutes you'll love it. Really smart feature, and its way better on tcv than my tccd tip.

Here is how its working:
1. enable smart cue / relative mode.
2. Load a track
3. play the tcv, just put the needle everywhere, like in the midle of tcv.
It will start from the beginning of the song the first time.
4.Now lets say you have 6 cues already set in this song.
Just move the needle +1min (or more) or -1min (or more) no need to be precise.
Everytime it will jump to the next cue, control the record with your hand to keep the point.

Posted Fri 07 Apr 06 @ 8:10 pm
I guess that I'm gonna borrow a couple of dennon 2500 to a friend of mine in order to check if tccds work in the same way.

Posted Fri 07 Apr 06 @ 9:25 pm
finally I can work with cues!!

this is my setup for denon cdjs

I change the preset configuration so the quick jump button for the fast search jumps +1 min or -1 min

this works great for me, cue button still pause for me but I can go to cues without mouse!

I' have to test the cd config with more tccd's the fisrt i made was burned with nero and it only let you burn with a 2s pause instead 0,2...i have to find another soft to do this...any sugestion?

and thanks again apopsis!

Posted Sat 08 Apr 06 @ 12:10 pm
so now... how loops work¿???!!!!

;)

Posted Sat 08 Apr 06 @ 12:20 pm
You could use loops in two ways:
- Use keyboard shortcuts or a controller (like Hercules, dac3) to activate a loop within vdj, for example 8 beats loop
- Use the looping in the Denon players. Then you only have to set the loop length yourself. If the loop is not correct, you could use the b trim (and a trim id your players supports it) to improve the loop.
Ewout

Posted Sat 08 Apr 06 @ 12:32 pm
loops from keyboard or mouse works fine for me.

but I try to use loops from cdj and I can't configure it at all.

If I undertand you.... to use it is as simple as is it from denon player.

Push A1 to set the loop in point and b to end the loop (as you said I can use b trim to finally adjust the end point)

but for this I think on the vdj deck it must set too the loop in point and it doesn.t ....for me

Posted Sat 08 Apr 06 @ 1:48 pm
kunfufaiter,
when using the loop on the cd player (like you describe correct) the timecode signal will be looped. Because the timecode signal contain "timestamps" so when the cd player is moving from the end point to the startpoint again, vdj will automatically follow. The only thing you should do is set the loop on the cd player, doing nothing with vdj.
It is just like needle drop. Hope you get it, otherwise I will try again ;-)
Ewout

Posted Sat 08 Apr 06 @ 5:33 pm
67%