Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Organising MP3's Methodically? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hi people,

Today I'm going through my entire cd collection, encoding them and oranising them to suit vdj,

I want everything to be in the right category and make sense but also I don't want to have so many folders and not be able to find what i'm looking for, so I want correct organisation combined with the abilty to reach the desired track,

Bearing in mind that i'm mainly dealing with pop music and various dance styles (mainly commercial), both past and present.

I'm having trouble with just how old a song is, for instance if i'm right old skool is late 8's - early 90's commercial dance music, it has a distinct sound over those years, and I have my dance and pop music that is 1998 - last week which is passable as modern chart music with some a few years back but not greatly different,

But the I have all this 95,96,97 stuff that is neither as old as old skool nor as recent sounding as modern dance/pop,

So what category do I put this in, Do I just put pop in pop as long as it's not old skool or really classic stuff like met loaf and roy orbison for example?, or what?,

How do You organise Your music?, and also How many music tracks is enough to start playing around in clubs and pubs?, I'm currently hiting on 500 but I just know I need many more, although that amount of music could play for days,

please help me out fellas,

Posted Wed 12 May 04 @ 12:31 pm
Bagpuss

This is what I did I made a folder Music made it the root folder in VDJ. I put my other folders in that one like this.

Music = root folder

all subfolders

1 Acid Jazz = all 12' singles
2 Acid Jazz Album = subfolders by Artist
3 Hip Hop = all new 12' singles
4 HIP HOP Albums = all new albums subfolders by Artist
5 Hip-Hop Old Skool
6 Hip-Hop Old Skool Albums all old albums subfolders by Artist

All together I have about 20 subfolders. There is no one way to do this its all up to you.

Posted Wed 12 May 04 @ 2:40 pm
I play at different clubs - with different themes .. so one night I might be expected to play funky 70's and groovy 80's - another night clubbing or r'n'b

So if I would make folders I would do as this:
70's (disco type style)
80's (good for 80's nights)
90's (not new - not to old... )
2000's (kinda new music - but not latest chart hits)
NEW POP (and move to 2000's when not as new anymore
CHILL-OUT (no age preference)
CLUBBING ( no age preference - Joey Negro and Funkmasters Deluxe in same folder - all same happy grooves)
FUNKYHOUSE (almost clubbing - but a little bit harder)
TECHNO/TRANCE (HATE it... LOL)
R'n'B/HipHop NEW SCHOOL
R'nB/HipHop OLD SCHOOL
SLOW (for the last 2 songs - so they all can kiss..LOL)

This kinda set-up u can easily adapt to the different clubs u are playing - and different theme nights.'

and u DON'T need to much music! It will only make u "blind" and u will struggle to find tunes etc
make your collection of GOOD songs u know u want to play, and don't try to "have everyting" - U will only end up with to many songs - and a huge collection mess!!! (trust me!!...)

;)

LAST BUT LEAST - Dont listen to the rest of us! LOL :D hehe... make and organize music in YOUR WAY.. so that YOU know what songs are where... in a way that is logical to you :)

Dj In Norway

Posted Sat 15 May 04 @ 6:41 pm
snookyHome userMember since 2004
It would be a little easier if we didn't have to separate all the music out into different folders by genre (just let CD ripping software do it in the current standard way of rootFolder->artist->album->track# trackTitle.mp3) and could just set the "genre" field of the mp3.

I know it's not the best of solutions, but check out my posting on using iTunes along with Virtual DJ to manage your music.

http://www.virtualdj.com/forum/display.html?topic=4667

Posted Sun 16 May 04 @ 10:02 am
When You organise your music do you seperate styles even if the music is past or present chart,

for example: kelis - Milkshake, it could go into r'n'b or new pop,

so which is it?, If You go out and buy a r'n'b cd (commercial chart r'n'b past and present for example) do I put them in a r'n'b folder or chart( as they have been or are in the chart)

Do You see Wha i'm saying?, i'm having trouble really thinking what's accurate and useable at the same time,

personally I think chart is chart and only dance music should be seperated,

please share your current configuration with me, bag

Posted Wed 26 May 04 @ 7:36 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I keep my music a-z.
I have 27 folders. A, B, C, and so on. Plus one other folder called "new".

Each file is kept for a short while in the New folder. Then about once a month or so, I'll distribute the files contained within the "new" folder to the a-z folders.

All files are named this way:
"artist (cd title track number) - Song title year.mp3"

Many people don't agree with this method, but it has worked for me for 15 years. (Yes, I used to keep my vinyl the same way)
There's no right or wrong way. It just has to work for the person who will be using the library. This has always worked for me.

Posted Wed 26 May 04 @ 7:49 pm
I don't think i could do it that way but still if it works it works

The setup I'm just arranging looks like this:

(1) POP & CHART

(1) New!
(2) 2000's
(3) 90's
(4) 80's
(5) 70's

(2) DANCE STYLES

(1) New Commercial
(2) 2000's -
(3) 90's -
(4) Old Skool (late 80's - Early 90's)
(5) House original 12" versions or non chart
(6) Latin House
(7) Hard House
(8) Trance
(9) Underground Trance

(3) OTHER GENRES (still needs work)

Chillout
Reggae
Swing

What do you guys think?, Bearing in mind it's configured for commercial clubs, bars and places with alot of young people bassically.

I think it's simple and managable.....

Posted Wed 26 May 04 @ 8:18 pm
Looks really GOOD!! :)

I play at different places, from pubs to nightclubs, and that would be a good way to organize music to have folders fit the theme for the night... (I play all from 80's night to clubbing nights)

Dj in norway

Posted Wed 26 May 04 @ 9:08 pm
and one thing Bagpuss... U got a very important question..

"for example: kelis - Milkshake, it could go into r'n'b or new pop, so which is it?, If You go out and buy a r'n'b cd (commercial chart r'n'b past and present for example) do I put them in a r'n'b folder or chart"

VDJ got a GREAT solution that works for me!
You put a song into ALL folders it will fit into. As you say, Kelis could be in more than one folder...
The GOOD THING about VDJ is that u have the whole mp3 file in one folder, and just a shortcut/link to that file in the other folders (Great feature from VDJ to read shortcuts, u save place)

The reason for this is that at a R'N'B night at the club, Kelis would be a good song. And the same song would be good when u play other place, for example latest hits for young people at nightclub.

And even more, makes u find the song u are looking for - even if uncertain if that file was saved as r'n'b or chart hit...
Because u will find it in all folders it is right to be in...
And take NO PLACE... because song is only saved full in ONE folder, the others are just shortcuts/links

Hope that trick will help out others as well....Works GREAT for me :)

dj in norway

Posted Wed 26 May 04 @ 9:21 pm
Thanks for all your helpful input by the way,

So my set up could now look like this:

(1) POP & CHART

(1) New!
(2) 2000's
(3) 90's
(4) 80's
(5) 70's

(2) DANCE STYLES

(1) New Commercial
(2) 2000's -
(3) 90's -
(4) Old Skool (late 80's - Early 90's)
(5) House original 12" versions or non chart
(6) Latin House
(7) Hard House
(8) Trance
(9) Underground Trance

(3) OTHER GENRES (still needs work)

Chillout
Reggae
Swing

(4) SHORTCUTS (genre Specific)

(1) R'n'B (all)
(2) Dance (all)
(3) POP (all)

notice how my original set up puts chart music into the same folder, but broken down by the release date(90's etc)

However my dance music whether or not it's in the chart is put into a seperate dance section, this is so becuse of the "club" environment with a dance floor, So a dance section is equally as important as a chart section, r'n'b is really a further breakdown from pop so it's not so important to have it's own folder. So dance could be like ian van dahl or slower like atomic kitten, kylie etc, it's still dance and is a great "tool" to fill the dancefloor, plus it's really important to know how the music you play affects your crowd

But your point with the r'n'b is really good, I think i'll do that,

another point, all r'n'b chart should be in the chart or pop folder, and then copied to a seperate r'n'b folder, however r'n'b music that isn't commercial or chart should be put straight into r'n'b originally.

Hope I make sense?.....

Posted Wed 26 May 04 @ 9:48 pm
Only thing is that I don't see the point with SHORTCUT folders....

U can but the shortcut of forexample Kelis right into the "R'N'B folder", and leave the mp3 file in "POP" or "CHART" folder.

A folder can be made out of both mp3 files AND shortcuts to mp3 files. When you read them in VDJ, the filebrownser see it the same way. It looks like the mp3 file is present fully in both/all folders (only remove the "shortcut to" in the shortcut name, or even turn off the "shortcut to" added to shortcuts, a tweak in windows).

So, my point is, for example KELIS - MILKSHAKE...
(1) NEW HITS ( here the real mp3 file is)
(2) R'N'B (here is the shortcut to the real mp3 file in "new hits")

When u open the "NEW HITS" folder in VDJ, or the "R'NB" folder in VDJ, the song from Kelis shows up like it was the full mp3 file, in BOTH folder, even if its only a shortcut in one folder.

so, i dont see the reason for having folders seperated for shortcuts...

dj in norway

Posted Wed 26 May 04 @ 10:07 pm
another example of what I do often....

NEW pop/chart music, I put the REAL mp3 file into the "2000" folder, and make a shortcut to that file, and put the shortcut into the "NEW" folder....

When the song is not that new anymore, I delete the shortcut from "NEW" folder, still leaving the real mp3 file in "2000" folder... get my point?

:)

dj in norway

Posted Wed 26 May 04 @ 10:13 pm
When You explained Too me, That very idea occured to me straight away, it's the best way to do things,

We really seem to be thinking the same way on this, and it's good that someone can relate about this subject because it's one of the most complicated parts about dj'ing.

And do you get my point?

Posted Wed 26 May 04 @ 10:20 pm
hehe ;) I get your point :)

and true..... FINDING right songs is the MOST important dj feature, how ever technical u are...

So - having a system thats logical organized for you, so that u can play the right songs, at the right moment... is very important.

I use a lot of time to categorize my music, into logical folders... so that I can choose a folder for the right occation.

Even more...
sometimes I have played at gigs where BOTH new and old hiphop/rnb is wanted for that night.
What u can do then, is make a folder for that night, lets say u call it "ALL RNB" - and then just copy all mp3 files at both new and old rnb/hiphop foldes, and paste shortcut into the "ALL RNB" folder :) and u are set for the night... :)

love,
dj in norway

Posted Wed 26 May 04 @ 10:24 pm
Personally I would rather know where my shortcuts are, to have shortcut folders to sub categorise as much as desired, but to have original files organised in the most methodical way is first a foremost for me, the database feature is excellent, this is what I usually use if i know the track title or artist, wicked, also the ability to organise the database by bpm, Very good fo traditional dj'ing where you work your way up through the bpms, mixing and the night proggressively gets faster and dancier the later rhe night becomes, and then slip it in reverse at the end, or maybe a pete tong style set with all bpms in place and an entire record case infront of you!

Posted Wed 26 May 04 @ 10:43 pm
thats true...
And u can do this within a folder...
Say u are going to play 80's all night, u can organize them from lowes to highest BMP, and play in that order, to build up a dancefloor... :)

Posted Wed 26 May 04 @ 10:45 pm
Well i've reached another mind boggler..

is anyone here a commercial dj or use vdj to organise many different genres of music...from 70's to recent?

I mainly deal with chart music from all years..., and alot of dance music..., of course that sounds simple.

but pop/chart music is a combination of all genres..., mainly r'nb and hip hop..., so it would be confusing (or is for me) to do a new chart folder, 2000's, 90's etc..., this is good for finding many songs as it's in the right year group...

but practically in a set..., it would be hard to loook into a 2000's folder and see britney, 50 cent, toploader, maroon 5...

so maybe the same sort of system but break down the traditional way...

like pop/rock, r'n'b/ hiphop, and commercial dance...

what do you think?..., and as there are now many new users about these days it would be interesting to know how you organise your music...

i'm actually very good and fussy how i organise but would like some input from other dj's who organise practically and correctly...:)

Posted Thu 05 Aug 04 @ 5:08 pm
djmechoHome userMember since 2004
VDJ is so good in searching so you can put all your music based on date of releases in a genre sub-folder... like this:

House / 2002 / January
House / 2002 / .... December
Classic / 80s / Disco
Classic / 80s / Pop
Classic / 80s / etc...

And it will be extremely easy for any of you to seek. As far as I know VDJ keeps an internal database with most played tracks going higher in the directory list? Something like a chart?

Maybe it is a good idea to implement Final Scratch's casing. So the DJ can organize the virtual "cases" by himself depending on the place he will play.

Posted Thu 05 Aug 04 @ 5:20 pm
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I'm trying to find the best way to arrange too and I change each time I think it's not good enough BUT I'm renaming all my songs this way:
-------------------------------------
Artist - Title (Version) {Year}.mp3
Artist - Title [Movie_name] {Year}.mp3
Artist - Title {Year}.mp3
-------------------------------------
(It depends if the track comes from a soundtrack or not and if this is a remix or not).

This way it's very easy to find a specific song using the database tool.

For example:
- search '198' and every 80's songs will appear.
- search 'Footlose' and every songs from the movie 'Footlose' will appear.

I'm classifying my songs with a folder for each big style (Dance, Funk, Themes, ...) and a subfolder for old titles in each folder.

Clax

Posted Fri 06 Aug 04 @ 6:46 am
If i'ts a compilation album I use a folder of the album Name. eg Pro Disc 51, Mastermix 218 etc (most readily available in UK). Otherwise I just use a folder of the artist name. I don't usually bother with the specific genres for filing. (I've a bloody good memory), apart from that a chart file would constantly need updating and files moving. However your file them its "what works for you" and however your comfortable with them

Tony

Posted Wed 13 Oct 04 @ 12:56 pm
61%