Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: video quality on VDJ vs DVD

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I'm surprised no one commented on this question i posed a few days ago - I get noticably ( 20%) less quality on the SAME VOB file ripped from DVD when the harddrive VOB file is played on VDJ Vs any regular DVD player like PowerDVD or similar

Posted Wed 08 Feb 06 @ 9:41 pm
This is the third thread from you on this. Please refrain from this. We all try to abide by the same rules of etiquette here. If you will notice, your previous post were looked at. Are we under some obligation to reply, at a time that suits you? Maybe someone is looking into your observations, and don't have an answer yet. You can go back to the original thread and bump it up if you like. To continue to start new threads, is not the way to go

Posted Wed 08 Feb 06 @ 10:39 pm
DjGazUKPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Yes the quality is slightly less when using Virtual Dj. But when it's on the projector you can hardly notice. Beats having to use two DVD players. The only problem is when it crashes.

Posted Fri 10 Feb 06 @ 2:05 am
does anyone know why the quality is less and is there any fix in place ?

Posted Fri 10 Feb 06 @ 10:54 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
I don't see a difference.

I have done A/B fades between power dvd and vdj and be damned if I see a difference and this was not as a result of your thread.
I have done the same with mpeg 1 that my original library was ripped to.
Now there I noticed a difference, but I still use the mpeg 1's along with the vobs with little difference that stands out.
I think most music video's quality in general is pretty poor.
I have ID'd what I thought were ripping flaws only to play the dvd and find the same flaw/blur/pixelation/color change on the original.

I think it's important to note that we aren't setting up a HD Theatre.
People aren't sitting down and watching every frame of video.
For the most part the eye stimulation for people comes from a glance here and a glance there.
They are staring at the goods they want to take home, not the screen.

So I guess my point is don't be as critical as I used to be, it drove me nuts until I realized.
If you do rear projection I would concentrate on getting the brightest most reliable projector with a short throw lens, it will do far more for the image and color on the screen.

Just my O

Posted Fri 10 Feb 06 @ 11:33 pm
Good post Rick... I agree. & U R right, when I observe ppl in the club, they glance at the video here and there and it is really more of an ambiance thing, just like the light show. But if you want to bring more attention to the video's, you can put the club cam in the mix every so often and watch ppl stare at the screen to see who they night take home [:o)

Posted Fri 10 Feb 06 @ 11:47 pm
I agree with Rick. Rick I was looking at your blog, but could not find the kind of projector you are using. Could you give us a hint?
Ewout

Posted Sun 12 Feb 06 @ 2:28 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
I have one Optoma DLP 750 pro that is 1600 lumens.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-EzPro_750.htm
My other one is a Mitsibichi CP S420 LCD that is 2700 lumens.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Hitachi-CP-S420.htm

It really depends on what you do with it, I do outdoor gigs starting at dusk so I need the lumens.
If you are doing indoor gigs that Optoma line is excellent.

Also, Promo Only has had some great prices on gear both seperate and packaged with screen and libraries.

My long term desire is to get over 3k lumins with a short throw lens, maybe next year.

Posted Sun 12 Feb 06 @ 4:16 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)