Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Active VS Amp & Speaker ???? HOT*

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

cerriexPRO InfinityMember since 2004
hmmm, right..

Any smart arse's know what the best set up for DJ use is? mobile mainly, but portability is of no concern! The only factor is raw power and sound quality!

I have heard so much about Active Systems, but im used to good old Amp & Speaker Systems..

With a budget of under £800 whats the best proforming system (active or passive with amp) ???

So any advice is greatly appreciated and well needed :o)

Thanks

Posted Thu 02 Feb 06 @ 11:20 pm
I'm old school, and have only been active for 18 months. I have said this before. We are not playing for a room of DJ's and audiofiles. For that matter, most DJ's wouldn't know a good sound system if it bit them. We are not playing classics from Brahms, Beethoven, or Bach. Most of the stuff we play is electronically sampled, bullshit. We play to a bunch of people on some kind of mood altering substance. Everybody's worrying about their 24's, how they smell, look, and if they are going to get laid tonight. We are just foreplay. Are there people that come for the music, yes. But for the most part, they can't tell the difference and don't care. If they are tweaked correctly(Passives need tweaking to), and you have a sub, they are fine. If portability is not an issue, then get the best your money can buy.

Posted Thu 02 Feb 06 @ 11:55 pm
cerriexPRO InfinityMember since 2004
lol, great perspective there :o)

thanks, but cash for power will i be able to rock a dance floor with active as well as amp & speaker?

Posted Fri 03 Feb 06 @ 12:04 am
When it comes to sound spend...spend...spend! You are in the field to be heard. If your system is not top of the line it says alot about your service. As of active or passive it depends on what you plan on doing.

1. If you are just doing small shows under 100 people and not playing club or dance music you can go with a small pair of powered speakers. Crest makes an ok pair for about the price you are looking to pay. However, PeeVey took over Crest and the drivers are the Black Widows which don't handle the bass as well as I like.

2. If you can afford a more Mackie SA-1521 powered speakers are great. Really can push about 139 dbl's per speaker. You can easily do about 300-400 people with these speakers. They do have matching powered subs that go with them. If you put the four together they will give you a great club feel.

3. Now if you want to go with speakers powered by amps. Check out Smith Audio! I have a pair of the 15" with the matching 18" sub cabinets. I have done shows with over 1000 people and have not pushed them as far as they can go. If you would like more information about Smith Audio call John at Farralane Lighting in NY 1-800-433-7057. I can tell you the louder we push them the better they sound. They will not work in small venues unless you go with the 12" units. I can tell you the sound is unbelievable.

You can also call Sean at Farralane and he could help you even more. Just remember what people hear is just as important as what they see! This is one area I strongly recommend to spend as much as you can and then spend more. Tell John or Sean that I sent you to them.

Sincerely,

Michael Caouette
Heart-N-Motion Entertainment Company

Posted Fri 03 Feb 06 @ 12:28 am
I'm in the U.S., so how much is 800 pounds, in dollars? You should think about what your average crowd will be, not your biggest. You can always borrow or rent for your biggest gig. Let's take Mackie for instance. If you get 2 active 450's and 2 active 1500 subs, you can do a gig with 500 people. Now I'm talking like a corporate gig, or a wedding. Less people, leave a sub home. 100 people, leave both subs home. Now, how many gigs are you gonna do with 500 people a year? Now, say you have 200 or 300 people, young and hard. This setup will blow them away. It also depends on the room. Remember, you want to fill the dance floor, not the whole room.

Posted Fri 03 Feb 06 @ 12:33 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)