Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Technical question for technical people.........

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
If i have a speaker with dual voice coils of 2 ohms each i can chose to wire this to give me 1ohm resitance (nominal) or 4ohm (nominal). my question is this;

can you wire a DVC speaker driver in stereo eg L to voice coil one and R to voice coil 2 (providing 2 ohms resistance in this case, the ideal amount for my situation). the reason i am unsure is that if the signals differed one voice coil would deliver an uneven amount of power in relation to the other. will this cause any undesired opperation or is this acceptable. any info welcome!

Posted Mon 30 Jan 06 @ 11:38 pm
Xeo, i don't think you have a dual voice coil speaker with each coil rated at 2 Ohms. Each coil is probably 4 Ohms. But to answer your question you would never want to wire a dual voice coil speaker to anything that would not feed each voice coil the exact same signal. The exact same signal would be fed to the voicecoil by

a) wiring the coils in parallel to give 1 Ohm load (not many amps will handle that load, which is why I suggest each coil is 4 Ohms, in that case this option would yield a 2 Ohm load, not a 1 Ohm load)

b) wiring the coils in series to give a 4 Ohm load (once again you probably have dual 4 Ohm voice coils, so this would be 8 Ohm load presented to the amplifier).

c) bi-amp the speaker so that a seperate amplifier feeds each voice coil with the same signal.

What you would not want to do is hook the left channel of the amp to one coil and the right channel of the amp to another coil. In my opinion, you would want to combine the L+R earlier in the signal path. Certainly not at the speaker itself.

Posted Tue 31 Jan 06 @ 1:01 am
I beg to differ. The sub that I use for my big gigs is a dual voice coil with each coil rated at 2 ohms. The speaker is rated at 4000 watts and this is not a misprint. There are 2 ohm speakers out there, it is just a rarity.

Posted Tue 31 Jan 06 @ 1:51 am
as unlikely as it sounds they are both 2 ohm giving ether 1 or 4 ohms, heres a link
http://www.jbl.com/car/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=GTO1202D&CheckProduct=Y
as i said i would like to drive my amp at 2 ohm load not 1 because it is stable at 2 ohm but i also gain about an extra 50% power if i bridge the amplifier to drive it than running two channels to it separately. i fugure it was on sale because noone wants a 4 ohm speaker (deff not a 1 ohm) mabey i should get a second one and wire them in series to get a 2 ohm nominal impeadance. lol but hey this is why im asking. cheers for the help!

EDIT: 4000 whats? lol i know of no single speaker driver that can take more than 1200 W RMS (about 2000 W AES / 2500 W Maximum)

Posted Tue 31 Jan 06 @ 1:57 am

Posted Wed 01 Feb 06 @ 4:45 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005

The problem is not to gain more power... is that every time you down the impedance you get closer to a short circuit and that blows any system... (and you stress more your equipment if you do that, even if it works; you reduce its lifetime). 4000 Watts in 2 Ohms is like 1000 Watts in 8 ohms. The reason to have 2 Ohms systems is to arrange them in a serial and parallel circuits to get 8 Ohms (or 4 Ohms if you pleased).

I really think that is better to get a serial connection between that 2 Ohms coils and get 4 Ohms in the total circuit. If you want more power, buy more AMPs and Speaker or better; BUY BRANDED speakers with a SENSITIVITY more than 100db. Every 3db you gain, is like 50% less power you need to get the same sound in a less performance speaker (say 97db for example). The "db" mark is and algorithmic signal, not a linear one, that's why 3db are to much in the poweramp.

That MTX are for AUDIO CAR systems and are TERRIBLE in terms of efficiency. 93.1db is a way far from 98db or 100db... You need in this speakers 500Watts to let them sound like another 98db system in 75watts.

You need to look for the Sensitivity of a speaker, because you could get MORE with less power of your current amps.

Good Luck!

Posted Wed 01 Feb 06 @ 5:40 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005

If you really want GOOD speakers, stay away from CAR audio system speakers... For low bass, the larger the better deep sound you got.

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/components/vgc.htm#2241H

Or you could get a specific voice coil for your needs: http://www.jblpro.com/pages/components/componts.htm

And if you want a real sufwoofer check this one: http://www.jblpro.com/srx700/SRX700_Flash_Presentation/JBL.SRX728S.pdf

With ths system you got more SOUND with LESS power and at 8 Ohms (or 4 if you want it that way).

;-)

Posted Wed 01 Feb 06 @ 5:59 pm
djzarePRO InfinityMember since 2004
Ther is a reason why its called CAR Stereo, you've been good adviced on Ohms & db's.
There ia lot of good, used bass speakers that you can find for cheap.

Posted Thu 02 Feb 06 @ 12:00 am
lol its for a car funny enough. im not running a disco from a car speaker or anything lol.

Posted Thu 02 Feb 06 @ 1:21 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)