Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: reading id3 tags and loading songs into database

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

jimmiemPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I use iTunes to organize my music. All of my songs have pretty clean tag info, but the filenames do not fit the structure VDJ is looking for.

If VDJ analyzes each file when it scans the HD, the tag info is loaded along with the other info it gathers. This is great, but 26,000 songs would take over 30 hours to analyze (I figured it was spending about 4-7 seconds on each song). If I load the songs without analyzing, it shows the info from the filename which is not as clean or accurate as the tag info; this means it usually just shows the song title and no artist.

How do I get VDJ to use the id3 tag info without having to deep scan each file?

Posted Sun 29 Jan 06 @ 5:08 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005

You could download RealPlayer and select to arrange your Directories and Files (it could be done fast) select in there you want to use Artist -Song filenames. Also disable the option in iTunes (Arrange my Audio files).

Good Luck!

Posted Sun 29 Jan 06 @ 3:19 pm
jimmiemPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Ok, that makes no sense. Are you telling me that there is no way to get Virtual DJ to disply the id3 tag info instead of parsing the artist and title info from the filename? Do you know how silly that sounds?

This software has absolutely blown me away with its sheer ease of use and intuitive design. To then go and make it so difficult to use id3 tags... well, I don't even know what to say, my head is going to explode just thinking about it!

Posted Mon 30 Jan 06 @ 12:18 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
In VirtualDJ you could put READ TAGS in VDJ->Config->General

READ ID3 TAGS ->TITLE or TITLE + Comments

Posted Mon 30 Jan 06 @ 9:11 pm
jchiarPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I have it set to READ ID TAG TITLE + COMMENTS and WRITE ID TAGs
AND IT DOESNT READ the BPM field. Nor does it write to the BPM FIELD.

Any idea why?

What tag info does VDJ WRITE?

As a note, IT appears that ITUNES READS THE BPM FIELD OF THE ID3v2 tag, but only in whole number 12003 (120.03 bpm)..

Posted Mon 30 Jan 06 @ 10:13 pm
Is there any way to read the 'year' tag for my MP3's in VDJ? Currently I've got a folder system by year to accomodate this, but it's hurting my soul. Is there any way to turn on a 'year' coloum, or any plans to add one to the next release of VDJ?

Posted Wed 01 Feb 06 @ 8:22 pm
I agree that as an improvement for song listing I would like to have the ability to display and save specific tag information.

Also, along those lines I would like to see the search function allow me to search via specific tags/fields

Food for thought.

Posted Wed 01 Feb 06 @ 10:20 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
here here
rar rar rar
pom diddley-ohm pom pom
top spiffing form chaps

Posted Wed 01 Feb 06 @ 11:26 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)