Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Digital DJs 'unaware of copy law' - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

just consider that you can buy new DVD of older (3 year) movie for 10$
but the movie soundtrack costs 20-25$.

Someone's really greedy, but i think it's not the stomach of the artist...

Posted Tue 04 Apr 06 @ 1:35 am
alright I don't know about all of the other countries. But here is a quote from AVLA which is the canadian licencing information.

"You need an AVLA DJ licence if:

You are creating reproductions of sound recordings (on a cassette, mini-disc, CD-R or computer hard drive).

You do NOT need an AVLA DJ Licence if:

You are using the original LP's/cassettes/CD's you purchased in a record store.
You are using cassettes/CD's CD-R's you have leased from an AVLA licenced music supply service such as ERG, Multi Music, Promo Only, RSM/Innovative Entertainment or Wastrax."

all this info for canadian DJs can be found here: http://www.avla.ca/pdf/broch%20electr%20sample.pdf

Make sure to properly read the info on licences before passing judgments. These laws are just to protect artsists since many of us now use burned CDs and digital music.

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

Posted Tue 04 Apr 06 @ 2:22 am
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I think the issue here is not so much about piracy, what us legitimate DJs are up in arms about is that we are being penalised for the use of a particular format. I could buy an album from the shop on CD, and play it legally in the club without the need for the license. Or I could buy the same album as a legal download, but be forced to pay £250 a year to the PPL in order to play it legally. How is that even remotely fair?

Some more small print that I noticed - the music HAS to be stored on a computer. You are allowed a second copy of the music as a backup, but again, this must be stored on a hard disk, no DVDs or CDRs allowed. Ok, no biggie for us VDJ users, but what about all those mp3 compatible CD players? According to the law, it's now illegal to pay mp3s on them!

The fact is, different DJs use different formats to play their music, be it vinyl, CD, mp3 discs, DVDs, minidiscs or PCs. It shouldn't make a difference what format you use; indeed, I'm sure a lot of us don't just stick to one either - I still use CDs from time to time, as do the vinyl brigade... The music format is just a means to an end, you use whatever you're comfortable with to do the best you can - hell, if you do your best mixing using reel to reel tape, I say go for it! My point is that the PPL seem to have forgotten that they are there to represent artists. Instead, they've gone on a tax crusade to jump on anyone who dares play mp3, a format which is potentially just as legal as CD.

There's no denying that piracy is a big problem for the music industry, but DJs who illegally download represent a very small fraction of the problem - if anything they're promoting music for them! And when you consider that the only people that are going to buy this license are law-abiding jocks like us *cough*, you can't help but feel we're being unfairly picked on....

*takes deep breath, goes to happy place*

Posted Tue 04 Apr 06 @ 3:31 am
I truly doubt that this type of licensing will come to the US. There is the Fair Use Right Act which should protect the DJ's. Should this type of licensing occur in the US, I will most likely retire. My average annual outlay for CD's and DVD's is around $3-5,000/year. I refuse to pay another dime to play the music that I legally own. I can't even sell my vinyl, because I have transfered some of the rarities to CD and Hard Drive.

Posted Tue 04 Apr 06 @ 4:43 am
d rocksPRO InfinityMember since 2006
It appears that this license is just a way to raise money. For who???? Does anyone actually think that a dime of this money will wind up in the pockets of the song writers or the artist's. NO! It is another way that the government is trying to get involved in your business. That is how they control the people, control the money and you control the people. A tax, and really, this is what this is, is sort of good when it benefits the people who pay it. Think about it, here in the US we pay a tax on gas. That tax is used to build roads and bridges etc. When this money is collected, what benefit will the DJs receive, legit or not? I don't understand it's prupose. Can the government really expect by leving this tax, is going to stop illegal downloading? No, most of us do things the right way. Here in the US you don't have to go to jail to be punished for downloading music illeaglly. The civil penaltiies are enough to put the DJ out of business.

I am not in favor of any additional taxes. Not only does it cost a ton of money to own the original disks, but each time you show up at a gig, you put that investment at risk. I play mostly at private functions. I bring my rig to a club about 1 weekend a month. I shutter to think what may happen to my cd collection if it were out while I took care of my business in the restroom. Not to wooried about my $1000 amps walking out. But, my $15 cd grow legs quickly. I think that having your stuff digitized on the hd makes the best since since toilet paper or sliced bread was invented. No longer do I carry cases of cds around and will fight to keep from having to pay double to keep it that way.

Amen!

Posted Tue 04 Apr 06 @ 5:17 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Some great comments here so far..

This 'Licence' in my book is typical of the UK government, I do believe we are one of the highest payers of TAX worldwide (percentage of income), I couldn't find the correct statistic but the U.S TAX payer pays around 10% less than A UK Tax payer. The average European TAX is also considerably lower than that of the UK's, have you seen the TAX bill when you fly to A UK airport? hehe.

It's just crazy, but this new law is really below the belt.

20,000 track limit per person, and it DOES NOT allow you to use burned CD's, it just accomadates music files from your archives or from A legal download site.

I also read a survey that they were issueing, the questions giveaway their motives, one read like this:
"If the PPL Licence was enforced would it be enough for you to stop DJ'ing from A Computer?"

If this licence was A once in a lifetime payment I'd consider it, but every 12 months?, I might buy A licence in January and retire from DJ'ing in March, value for money?

The ironic thing is, that most of the artists in the UK chart are American R'n'B stars like 50 cent, beyonce etc (same for much of Europe), I was lead to believe that these pressures about illegally downloaded files came from the U.S, but in that case why is there no annual Licence fee in the U.S?

Posted Tue 04 Apr 06 @ 2:51 pm
I definatelly agree that if there is a limit to the amount of tracks you can have on the UK licence it is a pain in the rump. I prefer the canadian law for digital music ;)

300$ anually to be able to play tracks from 1 hard drive (size is NOT determined and neither is the amount of tracks per hard drive).

if more then 1 hard drive is present with music or a backup of 1 is present you must purchase additional licences to accomodate.

I mean yeah 300$ is a pain and I know euro's and pounds are much worst but I get more then 300$ per show so 1 show pays 2 licences for me. Those of you who only get maybe 1 or 2 gigs per year I feel your pain, I was once there and its a tough market. Those working in clubs, the licence should be paid by the owner of the club and NOT the DJ.

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

Posted Tue 04 Apr 06 @ 3:49 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)