Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: What Effects do you use?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
My 3 pre-loaded effects on the slots are:
1.brake - for transition aid
2.beat grid - funky effect when used correctly
3.BJ Flanger (VST) - mostly to add some spice when playing club music.

I also use the backspin effect which would replaces the brake.

I used to use a whole bunch more, but now seem to load these 3 up and that hits the spot.

What effects do you use?, and how do you use your creativity to make the most of them?.

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 12:30 am
1.flippin double
2.flanger
3.backspin
in that order,
1.flippin double when used correctly adds a nice quick change to the beat and can alow me to increase the tempo if needed for the next track almost unoticible.
2. obvious reasons - spice up and even spice down the track again being able to slow it up a bit with the adjustment to pitch and length.
3. I'm a backspin boy, nother like waking up the croud early morning whith a precusion going into vocal 4 sec into break beat vvvivvviiivvviivv start on hard base line and make sure its a viby uplifting track !gets the buggers a bit unawares.
spin spin

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 1:08 am
Flipin' d is good but it is repetitive, I wish there was a better vocal/music remove engine.

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 2:03 am
JayFahPRO InfinityMember since 2005
hey ya'll can vdj come up with the stutter effect ? ya'll know what i mean right? sumtime it could help bringing in a tune which starts with vocals!

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 2:40 am
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Theres so many decent effects out there its a shame that only 3 can be loaded at a time. I keep it simple on the effects because of a crash issue I had during a gig and pretty much now only use flippin doubles, backspin & brake.

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 3:08 am
Flanged Fadeout is always #1
Beatgrid/Flanger/Flippindouble in #2 spot
and brake is normally #3

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 4:24 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
1. Beatgrid
2. Flanged Fadeout
3. Brake

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 4:53 am
I like the flanged loopout too but I have to say that It's buggy. I've been bitten by this more than once. Latest was on New Years Eve. When using timecode CD, the effect sometimes just activates itself, loops out the currently playing song and then silence. The first few times it did it, I thought that somehow, just maybe, I activated it by accident but on New Years I was two feet from my setup and there is no way it was activated by mistake. The effect activated itself and my room went silent because of it. I didn't post anything about it because I really wasn't ready to hear all the posts about how there is something wrong with my setup, hard drive, laptop or whatever. But since Bagpuss started the topic, I had to respond with my experience.

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 6:25 am
1. BeatGrid
2. Brake/Backspin
3. Echout2

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 11:52 am
I'm seeing a trend here :), jes I thought I was the only one!.

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 11:58 am

1. FLANGED LOOP OUT
2. BEATGRID or SHAKER BEATS
3. FLIPPING DOUBLES or CUT

(wish i had more FX slots, as I use all above)

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 12:03 pm
MalekoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Same as bugpus!

1.brake
2.beat grid
3.Flanger

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 12:27 pm
hehe Maleko - you may as well have called me "a pain in the ass" than "bugpus" :).

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 12:49 pm
NebulaPRO InfinityMember since 2004
1. Cut or beatgrid/shakerbeats
2. Flanger
3. Flippin' Doubles or brake/backspin

Sometimes use overloop: Like in its tricky, where towards the end the woman says "run dmc vs jam master jay" then there's a 4 bar break, then she repeats it. sometimes overloop the woman's speech thing

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 4:02 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
1. BeatGrid
2. Backspin
3. Brake

There was an effect that I had used when I was first using the DJ Console version that I have never found again, but would love to find. If I'm not mistaken, it would play the music with the vocals muted, but would take the first part of the vocals (even if not at that point in the song yet) and loop and echo that. It was really trippy and could be used to make almost any song into a trance remix. I don't recall the name of it and have considered reinstalling the old Hercules Console version of VirtualDJ just to find that effect again. Anyone have any ideas what that one was? Maybe I was just dreaming? ;)

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 5:54 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
i use echo out
beat grid
auto cut (sometimes is makes a beat more like a break)
reverse (makes a funky beat sometimes)

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 6:12 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)