Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: New Years Eve Gig Recap

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Well it was great and it sucked too. What a night though. If you live in Southern California you know that last night was really rainy and crap weather. The largest party in orange county was the orange county fair grounds but since it was rainy, our party caught the overflow so we were completely sold out before the event even started.

So my gear got completely soaked carrying it in to the hotel in the rain. I was worried about water damage but everything fired up nicely.

The dance floor was ROCKING! Rung in the new year right, ended up playing the Kanye West track coming out of the countdown.

And then worst thing happened. Hotel management came and shut down my room because we did not have adequate security. So my night was over at 12.15. Talk about being pissed off,.. I was ready to kill someone. So I packed up my gear and had a drink. I was still pissed off though.

Posted Sun 01 Jan 06 @ 11:41 pm
sorry to hear about the early closing time... i would have been pissed too :)

Posted Mon 02 Jan 06 @ 10:37 am
wow that sucks talk about killing the party
-gauge

Posted Mon 02 Jan 06 @ 8:58 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
That sucks, but at least you went out on top!
Also, don't you think that on any other DJ forum, the first comment would have been "did you get paid?" I'm glad to see that the members of this forum are less materialistic and are more concerned that anewsome's fun was spoiled.

Posted Tue 03 Jan 06 @ 8:06 pm
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
haha I was going to ask if you got paid for your full set lol.

Posted Tue 03 Jan 06 @ 10:33 pm
That is every djs worst night mare Tuff Gong

Posted Tue 03 Jan 06 @ 10:55 pm
I was a promoter and a investment partner in the party so I got paid a percentage on EVERYTHING. That was the only thing that made me happy, knowing that I was going to get paid for the 2 months of work leading up to the event. We purchased driver's license scanners for the party and we scanned 1,700 unique licenses. There was probably > 300 we didn't scan so this party had at least 2,000 people. It was a rager for sure.

Posted Tue 03 Jan 06 @ 11:22 pm
zadeauxPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Awsome. I'm sure it was a whole lot more fun than what I got stuck with. I was stuck with a 50th Anniversary party/New years party at a reception hall at a church. Best I could manage (besides the never ending 40s and 50s music) was a few disco/reggae/group songs.
Oh, and it intentionally ended at 12:15am.

Oh well, made some good $$$.

yes, Virtual DJ is useful for that 40s and 50s music too..

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 4:40 am
Wow,.. 40s & 50s music. Yikes. I did a 50th birthday party a few weeks back and it was for a friend. At least the 50th year lady was a black lady so I managed to get on some floor burners like Brick House and some disco tracks so I was actually pretty entertained. I always see a lot of steppers on the dance floor at these adult parties. Put on some R, Kelly - Step In The Name Of Love or Maze & Frankie Beverly - Before I Let Go and the steppers come out of the woodwork.

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 6:32 am
Hey anewsome, sorry to here your gig got bummed!

When they say, inadequate security.. what did they mean?

I had the most hectic 30 seconds @ midnight, playing a 10 second countdown, the big ben chimes, and then Prince - 1999, in such quick succession..

But, it was all made possible thanks to VDJ, Mr. Clavel and the rest of the team.

Heres wishing to a prosperous 2006, and many many gigs (and vdj updates) to come!

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 10:08 pm
The hotel management said my room was being shutdown because of lack of security. There was not a single security guard in my room,.. just a bunch of partying people!

Posted Thu 05 Jan 06 @ 1:41 am
DJ NicePRO InfinityMember since 2004
Man 1,700 + individuals wow what do you have for a rig anewsome? Speakers , AMP (crown,peavey etc) Samplers, Subs ?? I'm just curious on what you have to bang out
a room like that.

Posted Thu 05 Jan 06 @ 3:52 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)