Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Tempo (TM) on DJ Console Wheels

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

djkikePRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hi
It would be great if Tempo acceleration cold be aplied when mixing using HDJC wheels so that acceleration or brake could not be noticed , like on Pioneer CDJ100
Regards
djkike

Posted Wed 28 Dec 05 @ 4:39 am
djbambiPRO InfinityMember since 2003
did you try, in the VDJ config "remote control" tab, to uncheck "use jogwheels to scratch"?

if not, try it, it makes the pitch bending much more subtle (well, you still want to be gentle though).

if you already tried that but it is still not gentle enough for you, then the only way would be to program a personalized mapper.

N.

Posted Wed 28 Dec 05 @ 10:55 am
Yes,i have scratch unchecked. The weels are smooth the feature i mean is Time Stretch to avoid voice acceleration when you jog the wheel.
perhaps i needs personalized program

Posted Wed 28 Dec 05 @ 11:40 am
I've explained this feature some 3-4 years ago in email to the developer and 1-2 on the forum but he does not understand so it is not implemented.

I'll try 3rd time to explain it:

master tempo should be applied *only* when jog/nudging is being done.
(note: master tempo is OFF - only in "relative" effect to the current pitch during bend/nudge/jog operation)

Since that is so difficult to understand, let's try again:

People like to mix with no master tempo (so that pitch changes speed and makes the voice higher). HOWEVER. Sometimes it is necessary to adjust the sync in fly by nudging for example: now there will be the vinyl style wouuiiuuuaaaaoo sound that totally ruins the mix. It is at THIS POINT that master tempo should come to effect RELATIVE TO THE CURRENT PITCH.

Anyone who plays with professional CD players knows they are implemented like this, but VDJ is behind the times.

Posted Wed 28 Dec 05 @ 9:22 pm
Some more comments:

I just tried all the available commands:
jog,nudge,scratch,pitch_bend,seek,smart_seek and who knows how many else.

They all work identically bad!
What we need is

mastertempo_bend (enabled mastertempo temporarily with bend +/- X without affecting current pitch setting)

which applies TEMPO BENDING (pitch stays same), whether the global master tempo is enabled or Disabled!

Unrelated note: Neither is the waveform fixed in all these years, I've reported about that many times, it looks horrible on 4 different setups, 3 different OS, various graphic accelerators etc. Currently I am testing with latest Vista and it still is jerky! It is as if you had low resolution data from the pipeline and then you try map it with fluctuating sync to screen or something, it jerks around horribly and is pain to watch. Try the 2DSPRITE in DirectX SDK December 2005 and change it to use floating point, perfectly smooth scrolling - unlike VDJ. (and that is smooth for 1280x1024 pixels constantly changing, not just a small piece of waveform)

Posted Wed 28 Dec 05 @ 10:31 pm
Sorry but i do not agree about that people like to mix with no master tempo. I've been playing for 17years and know lots of DJ that like MT.

Posted Thu 29 Dec 05 @ 1:27 am
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
what we need is a skip not a nudge, nudge affects the pitch wheras skip just jumps forward (mising out a tiny number of samples) this does not affect the pitch. if you want to do this you can do so by using the right click on the pitch controlls with time stretch enabled

Posted Thu 29 Dec 05 @ 4:38 am
djkike: I did not mean it that way. I meant like: developer assume everyone want to use master tempo becase everyone talk about that all the time. What I really meant is to say that not everyone like to use master tempo, no matter how good it is - because when certain type of music the higher pitch makes it sound more like "old times" and give it more energy. But this makes the pitch affecting bend/nudge really annoying since it is so easy to hear.

I also do not agree about the SKIP comment above. Such skip can be heard when you listen the mix at home later or to someones net broadcast mix with equipment that has better definition than your average club has. The temporary master tempo nudge would avoid glitches in the digital stream during corrections.

Posted Fri 30 Dec 05 @ 7:29 am
> what we need is a skip not a nudge

Have you tried
song_pos +2205
song_pos -2205

for example.. It makes just the crappy hearable skip one does not want.

Posted Fri 30 Dec 05 @ 8:13 am
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
androidi: I totally agree with this. It's been requested several times now, but not implemented. Atomixmp3 works this way in master tempo mode (at least as I recall from the demo), the Technics SL-DZ1200 works this way in master tempo mode (it just sounds crappy), some of us would love to see VDj have it too BUT only when you nudge / scratch. The pitch slider should shift the pitch normally.

Posted Fri 30 Dec 05 @ 2:46 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
why would you use such a stupidly large value to skip by? try +/- 128, aslong as you use some skill in your timing you can bring 2 songs into alignment without any audible skipping at all. i have to say that using tcv as i do i can maniplulate even a seriously out of time mix into the grove without it sounding too shoddy, and applying a bit of drag and spin to a disk does not cause a noticable pitch dip or peak.

Posted Sat 31 Dec 05 @ 3:16 am
pungkyHome userMember since 2006
hi i need mix song house musik,can i?how?

Posted Tue 03 Jan 06 @ 5:33 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)