Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: you know what sux??

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

do you??

so this guy at my college wanted to throw a pre-new year bash..so he asks me to dj and as always, i'm up for it....

couple of days later, he calls me up and says that we have to go check out the venue and that he asked this other dude to play as well..

here is the snafu.. i play virtual and he don't

not that i cant play on "regular" (eeyuw) decks (cd), but i dont wanna..

so i mumbled something and tagged along..

is there any way, if i can get or download a time code, connect up my computer and regular decks+mixer so that i can play straight off the comp and he can use the cd-player...

if so, is it possible then that one deck has a regular cd and the othe one a tccd..

then i dont have to whine at all...

cheers

DJ Rudra

Posted Wed 21 Dec 05 @ 4:28 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
i think there is more then one way to do this but one i can think of to keep both of you playing seamlessly would be to use the bypass function, on you can play from pc off he can play from decks
also if you have a four channel mixer then 2 can be his and 2 can be yours.

Posted Wed 21 Dec 05 @ 5:08 pm
you need to roll to the gig with y adapters and some timecode cds. you need a mixer with some extra inputs. you need to plug everything up before the gig starts. you will be able to seamlessly go from regular cd back to vdj + timecode and back again, seamlessly.

Posted Wed 21 Dec 05 @ 5:24 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
@anewsome
are you saying that the bypass mode on cd's is also not great sounding like it is with vinyl? if you split the signal you would have the cd deck in line and to use VDJ the soundcard would have to be in the phono and that would require that line/phono plug-in? guessing it's only a 2 channel mixer. if you had a mixer with say four channels then all you would have to do is switch between what line is being used, and that would not require an Y's

Posted Wed 21 Dec 05 @ 5:47 pm
the bypass mode is horrible. if i was a dj using regular CDs and someone made me go through some crappy bypass mode, detoriating my sound, i would be pissed.

try this on a timecode setup. use y adapters and setup a sound test. flip back and forth between the straight signal coming off the Y adapter and the bypassed sound signal being run through VDJ. the sound quality isn't even close. You would also need to show the guy using regular CD how to make the switch on VDJ. Or do the switch for him. With 4 channels he just needs to know how to use his own mixer or the house mixer, whatever is being used.

Let's hope this guy is working with a mixer with 4 channels.

Posted Wed 21 Dec 05 @ 6:55 pm
u can download VDJ TimeCode frm somewheres on this site, i have it and i burned it onto 2 cds, i forget whre to download them frm tho, all i think u have to do is make 2 copys of the time code and then put 1 in each of ur CDJ's but u havta have it all hooked up to ur compuetr and then run virtual dj. i hope this helps.

-greg

Posted Thu 22 Dec 05 @ 3:14 am
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
it depends how you play on VDJ. if you use just the one output etc from your laptop you can just plug into the same mixer on an aux/3rd ch. if your used to using an external mixer just use y addapers and plug your 2 ch on the same as his 2 ch and you can mix rite into your song when hes done and vica versa. if its ever a problem your using a laptop just tell them to go screw themselves, if thats how you do things thats how you do things.

i wouldnt advise you to try and get to grips with TCCD on the night if your not used to that. just do what your comfortable with and you will put on the better show not trying to use TCCD if youve never done that before because its likeley that it wont go totaly to plan because A)your not used to the way it works and how to work it and B) that it may take some time to troubleshoot and settup. anyways best of luck and play some safe tunes!

Posted Thu 22 Dec 05 @ 5:29 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005

Posted Thu 22 Dec 05 @ 9:48 am
@ Dj Rudra

You could not ask for a better " situation" than the one you have !

Think about it, when the gig is all done and he has this look of envy and amazment on his face, because of your perfect set thanks to Virtual Dj and not forgeting your skill !
you can give him the half cocked eyebrow look with that smugg smerk on your face and say , "hey, what can i say? its the 21st centry ! time for you to get with the "program" ! here go to this site and see what it can do for you! "
You then pass him YOUR business card with VDj's addie written on the back!

Who could ask for better marketing of both yourself and Virtual Dj !!!

Oh and good luck ! hope the set up works and you can bang into 2006!!

Spin Spin Spider

Posted Thu 22 Dec 05 @ 1:57 pm
please bear with me on this one..

i use my desktop..no laptops for me (lol@dj cyder)

i have a soundbalster 5.1 live

the last time i used a mixer, no cd palyers, i got some EP to RC convertors and plugged them in the the soundcard and the other jacks into the mixer..

what you all are saying is that i need a four channel (ideally) mixer and connect two channels into vdj and two to the cd players and we good to go..

however if he has a three channel (one for the mic), then i have to use the TCCD option, with the same (two to the comp) connections and the TCCDs in the decks..

cheers

DJ Rudra

Posted Fri 23 Dec 05 @ 10:11 am
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
using TCCD in anysettup will invcariably make it harder to settup and harder to understand. if you want to use the mixer instead of the internal one you can simply plug your VDJ decks (output) into the other inputs and simply switch over. most mixers have a switch on the back to make the phono level a line level so you can just switch the 'phono/line' switch and have that CH belong to VDJ. at your time of chosing.

Posted Fri 23 Dec 05 @ 10:29 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)