Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: I want a Karaoke catalog and a Music Catalog- How?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

lmichelPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Sorry I'm being so dumb, but I played with this feature for quite a while before giving up and asking all the experts here. I really did try :-) ....
I'm very close to dumping S&D show presenter and using just VDJ. With v3.2 I feel I almost have everything I need.
I have two pysical external drives. The DJ music drive is drive "M" and the Karaoke drive is "K"
what I want is a way to click on either drive in the navigator, and then type in part of the song title. for example if someone wants to sing "Redneck Woman", I'd like to click on "K" or maybe "Karaoke" and start typing "R E D N...." and have it found in the karaoke version ONLY, so I dont load the DJ one by accident. Also, keep in mind that both drives have thousands of tracks in recursed directories. I'm trying to use the "Mark as Favorite" feature for the whole drive, and then clicking "Show All", but somehow BOTH drive's file get mixed together when doing a search. Am I explaining this right?
Thanks in advance, VDJ experts - you guys sure do make me look good - way out here in the backcountry :-)

Posted Sun 18 Dec 05 @ 4:18 pm
This is possible in the current VDJ version already. Select the drive with your karaoke songs (K in your example). Right click and select "Show All". All songs in all subdirectories will be shown in the list. Now fill in your search phrase.
VDJ will remember the "Show all" selection. The next time if you select the K drive the complete list will show up again.
Hope this helps.
Ewout

Posted Sun 18 Dec 05 @ 9:29 pm
Well, yes this is true,
However, everytime I click on the "K" drive VDJ pops of a box that says "recursing". This box stays there for (and I timed it) over two minutes. This means that during live use, I would never be able to afford the time to click away from "K" and back again.
But, if I right click on database and scan the K drive, it works as I would expect - no recursing.
The trouble with that is - now my karaoke tracks and DJ tracks are shown in the same database :-(

Any other thoughts would be appreciated. This trouble and some difficulty loading some zip files are all that keeps me from using VDJ 3.2 for karaoke also.

Thanks,
Lance

Posted Mon 19 Dec 05 @ 2:09 pm
lmichel,
then you probably have quite some number of songs on your drive. What also could help is to add the drive in the filebrowser. Then when you search both the songs from the k drive and your other drive will show up, but you could see in the drive column what the location of the song is.
What also works is when you search you fill in: K:\*whattosearch. Like for example K:\*Billie jean. You could fill in the K:\* and copy (control c) this. When you search again you first paste the text and then fill in the search part.
Ewout

Posted Mon 19 Dec 05 @ 7:16 pm
Ah..... I should have thought of that... Search using a "K:" prefix. Genious! That would automatically filter out all DJ music. Likewise, I could get into the habit of searching with an "M:" prefix for dj songs.
Thanks for pointing that out.

Posted Mon 19 Dec 05 @ 9:00 pm
Well I think I have the best method figured out.
Basically, before I type in the search, I click on the "Disk" column in the database to either float all the Karaoke or all the DJ Music to the top. Then type in the search info. The version of what I want will always be at the top of the list. So It's not really all in one catalog, but it seems to work okay.

Posted Wed 21 Dec 05 @ 1:05 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)