Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: Best way to interface to external lights

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

deludedPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Evening all!

I've been working on a little USB controlled box which has a load of LEDS in it, and can be used to create any colour of the spectrum, and has a load of ultra bright white LEDs for a strobe effect. Whilst it's not bright enough for club use, it should do the job nicely for us bedroom DJs.

I want to get VDJ working with it, but am unsure which type of plugin would be best to use.

As far as I can tell, I could use a DSP plugin which gives me everything I need, except that you would have to enable it on both channels for it to work properly.

The other option is a video plugin, but I don't want to have a video screen window open for it to work.

Ideally VDJ would be able to call my plugin as a DSP effect with the final mixed output audio data, but I can't figure anyway of doing this.

Any ideas???

Posted Fri 16 Dec 05 @ 8:31 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
i only see one way: a sound effect but as you said you have to use two plugins, one for each deck

Posted Fri 16 Dec 05 @ 8:36 pm
could you make that usb box trigger lights by DMX channel commands?

If so, VDJ got built in support for DMX - and you might get the little thing to work :)

Posted Fri 16 Dec 05 @ 9:23 pm
I thought about that, but as far as I know DMX is RS232 serial based (or at least rs232 over usb). Not sure how I would make it work other than make my usb device look like a dmx thing.

Might do a bit more research into DMX though..

Posted Fri 16 Dec 05 @ 10:26 pm

Posted Sat 17 Dec 05 @ 8:28 am
The DMX way does look the best way to go, but can't see any way on vdj of setting up hardware settings etc...

I think I read somewhere that it only works with certain devices.. However, making my box dmx compatable would seem rather sensible...

Posted Tue 20 Dec 05 @ 11:01 am
pernPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I'm also working on something like this at the moment. What i'm building is a USB based 4ch Light Sequencer/Controller (220v) + 8 220v on/off switches to control other effects. The sequencer uses DC controlled dimmers.

To controll it all i'm working on a special plugin for VDJ.

I looked a lot at DMX first but decied to go DC controlled since DMX dimmer packs are really expensive.

Posted Wed 28 Dec 05 @ 11:19 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)